PDA

View Full Version : Western Style beef ribs?

FSUQ
02-07-2017, 09:39 PM
So, I was @ the grocery store yesterday and stumbled on some "western style beef ribs" that had some great looking marbling and were marked down to 3.50/lb so I couldn't help but to pick them up.

Now the million dollar question: how in the heck do you cook these? The 1st 2 articles I pulled up on Google, one said to boil them and the other said crock pot :doh: That's obviously not happening but was hoping somebody here may have some tips. Any tips on time estimates/temps would be awesome. My initial guess was around 275 but I have no clue on how long they might take.

McSpazatron
02-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Ive never heard the term western beef ribs... could possible be plate ribs, but the term "western" is throwing me. Kind like when I found out the "country style ribs" where neither from the country, nor stylish, nor ribs.... (discuss).

Can you see bones? Does one side of the rack have a thick fat/meat layer that hides the profile of the ribs? If so u might have short ribs. Smoke those like you would a brisket. If you can see the profile of the ribs on both sides, with meat only between the ribs, then they are probably back ribs.

If it has no ribs, then its probably chicken :)

Any pics?

FSUQ
02-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Sure thing, here they are. Turns out they are called "Beef Chuck Western Style Ribs". They don't look to have any bones at all, so I am REALLY hoping it's not chicken! For $6.90, I figured it looked worthy of giving them a try. Any and all ideas are MUCH appreciated!

worktogthr
02-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Most of the time when you see boneless ribs like that they are usually from the chuck or boneless short ribs. Either way, I would cook them like brisket or even ribs, until probe tender, probably up to about 190-205 IT depending on when they probe like butter. My guess is boneless short ribs with a fancy name.

daninnewjersey
02-08-2017, 07:59 AM
They look like the beef equivalent of pork country style ribs. Not really ribs just boneless meat cut to the shape of a "rib"....

McSpazatron
02-08-2017, 08:28 AM
The picture does look like something that Ive bought before. At first I thought it was boneless rib meat, but I think it was just strips of chuck. They dried out when I cooked them unwrapped like I do my briskets. Never probed tender, they stayed tough until they dried out. Id recommend you smoke them for a bit and then wrap them together in foil until it cooks so they stay moist.

If you have never had plate short ribs...these will not compare.

legendaryhog
02-08-2017, 10:21 AM
The picture does look like something that Ive bought before. At first I thought it was boneless rib meat, but I think it was just strips of chuck. They dried out when I cooked them unwrapped like I do my briskets. Never probed tender, they stayed tough until they dried out. Id recommend you smoke them for a bit and then wrap them together in foil until it cooks so they stay moist.

If you have never had plate short ribs...these will not compare.

You are correct. I have seen these in stores. Just cut up slices of chuck roast. And not from the rib side. The toughest of all. Stupid marketing putting confusing crap on labels.

jdefran
02-08-2017, 10:43 AM
You can make faux burnt ends. Smoke till probe tender, cube, pan, sauce, etc. then place back on smoker to caramelize.

luke duke
02-08-2017, 04:15 PM
They look like the beef equivalent of pork country style ribs. Not really ribs just boneless meat cut to the shape of a "rib"....

This

BBQ Freak
02-08-2017, 04:34 PM
I have never seen beef ribs cut like that :wacko: I would cook them like regular ribs @ 250 to 275 degrees till probe tender , probably take 4 to 6 hours is a guess .

KpaxFAQ
02-08-2017, 05:08 PM
If it's boneless, it's not a rib

Smith's Pig Pen
02-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Is that Winn Dixie? haha... creative marketing. Strips of chuck... I go low and slow 225ish, then hook up some wrap and pan action and then finish off how you like em