PDA

View Full Version : Marinade or season Jerky?

blazinfire
02-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Curious question. The missus requested I make jerky for her Birthday next week. I'm getting two whole Sirloin Tip roasts for $2.50/lb.

I'm curious to know what other people's opinion is on using a Marinade or a seasoning/cure combo like High mountain jerky seasoning. I always use the Hi-mountain seasoning for my jerky and I plan on using it this time around as well.

But Is there any benefits of doing a Marinade instead?

IamMadMan
02-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Basically it a matter of personal preference.

Although you may call it a marinade, in my experience with jerky there isn't a lot of liquid when making jerky. It's usually just enough to coat the outer surfaces of the individual pieces of meat. I've seen some recipes that call for the application of liquid before sprinkling with the cure and spices, others that add liquid after the dry cure is complete, and yet others mix all the ingredients into a liquid before adding the meat.

Essentially this gives you an opportunity to make jerky two different ways and compare them side by side. You can taste the two finished products side by side and make your own determination of which you like best.

You can even add small amounts of liquids like Worcestershire Sauce or Teriyaki sauce to dry cures like High-Mountian jerky kits. The idea isn't to let the raw meat swim in the liquid, but rather to add a few splashes that can add a little extra flavor to the surface of the meat. When using liquids, the jerky is usually set on racks to air dry until tacky before going into the smoker. The evaporation removes water and concentrates the flavors on the surface of the meat.

Marinades do most of their work on the surface, within 1/18" of the surface, which works perfectly for sliced jerky.

Keep us posted.

AussieMatt
02-02-2017, 07:41 AM
I was a "marinade" guy, but I'm now sold on the Hi Mountain stuff. FWIW.

Wetsmoke
02-02-2017, 09:44 AM
I use the High Mountain Original Jerky Mix. Knowing the weight, I slice it up, put in a bowl, add a little cold water, then measure out the jerky mix and seasoning into a small bowl, add a good shot of HDD in the same bowl, and sprinkle some on the meat and mix by hand, sprinkle some more and mix and repeat until I have all the seasoning mixed with the meat. Then I take the seasoned meat and stuff it into gallon zip lock bags and put these in the refer for at least 1 if not 2 days, I like 2 days best, then, forgive me please, I dry it with a dehydrator until it reaches the consistency I like. Tried using my WSM once, but now stick to just the dehydrator for ease and control. Then when it's dried, i divy it up and Foodsaver the jerky in bags and freeze the extra portions until I run out of what I am currently eating. This seems to keep it far fresher taste wise doing it this way.

legendaryhog
02-02-2017, 11:13 AM
I use just enough home made marinade to coat everything and let it sit in the fridge for two days. Works very well.

The price you are getting on sirloin tip is pretty good, but my favorite cut for jerky is round. It has the least amount of fat in it, and fat gets a little weird in jerky and can become rancid over time (if you don't eat it all right away that is...which usually happens).

If you don't have a meat slicer see if you can beg, borrow, or steal one off someone. Will make a huge difference. All your cuts will be the same thickness and dry at the same time. I will never make jerky without one again.

Free Mr. Tony
02-02-2017, 12:01 PM
I make marinades for it. I think they impart more flavor, and most of the kits I've used come out far too salty for my taste. I realize jerky is typically salty which also works for preservation, but with the mixes it seems to be all that I taste.

Hot or salty seem to be predominant flavors in most pre mixed powders. A marinade allows you to bring more flavors in without salt bombing the meat. I like to puree fruits into the marinade to offset all the salty ingredients. I typically do sprinkle a light coating of hot salt or savory powder on the outside of the meat just before going into the smoker.

blazinfire
02-02-2017, 12:48 PM
I use the High Mountain Original Jerky Mix. Knowing the weight, I slice it up, put in a bowl, add a little cold water, then measure out the jerky mix and seasoning into a small bowl, add a good shot of HDD in the same bowl, and sprinkle some on the meat and mix by hand, sprinkle some more and mix and repeat until I have all the seasoning mixed with the meat. Then I take the seasoned meat and stuff it into gallon zip lock bags and put these in the refer for at least 1 if not 2 days, I like 2 days best, then, forgive me please, I dry it with a dehydrator until it reaches the consistency I like. Tried using my WSM once, but now stick to just the dehydrator for ease and control. Then when it's dried, i divy it up and Foodsaver the jerky in bags and freeze the extra portions until I run out of what I am currently eating. This seems to keep it far fresher taste wise doing it this way.

Well the missus requested I fix it like I do any other time with the Hi-mountain seasoning. I've done jerky in the WSM once, and my vertical offset once. I'll be doing this in the vertical offset as it wasn't that hard to do the first attempt. On the WSM I used a snake 4x4 wide it worked well for what it needed.

I do have a small pouch of HDD. I might spice a small batch up! Thanks for the tip on that.

@Iammadman Thanks for your input as well. Now I know more about marinading jerky. I can only remember one time I've marinaded a batch of deer jerky. That was many years ago though.

blazinfire
02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
I use just enough home made marinade to coat everything and let it sit in the fridge for two days. Works very well.

The price you are getting on sirloin tip is pretty good, but my favorite cut for jerky is round. It has the least amount of fat in it, and fat gets a little weird in jerky and can become rancid over time (if you don't eat it all right away that is...which usually happens).

If you don't have a meat slicer see if you can beg, borrow, or steal one off someone. Will make a huge difference. All your cuts will be the same thickness and dry at the same time. I will never make jerky without one again.

Meat slicer is totally unavailable for me. I don't mind cutting by hand.The Thinner pieces are great to snack on as they finish! But that gets me in trouble :doh:

I normally go with Eye of round, but I have to deal with some dental issues and eye of round currently at my local shop is like 3.69/lb or something stupid. I'm going cheap on this route so I can pay dentist bills! But I'm sure if it turns out to be a pretty awesome batch of jerky it will be past around among friends, and the missus will have her own stash for her birthday. I won't need to be "preserved" for a long period of time