PDA

View Full Version : Reverse flow OK Joe Longhorn

Jam Jam
01-31-2017, 11:13 PM
Has anyone heard of this design? Sounds interesting for those in the market for one that don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

robert-r
01-31-2017, 11:37 PM
Please spill the beans. Tell us about it.

Richard_
02-01-2017, 12:15 PM
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Longhorn-751-sq-in-Charcoal-Horizontal-Smoker/1000172201

bwram1
02-01-2017, 01:43 PM
For the same money you can get an Old Country Over & Under from Academy. Thicker steel and is a solid unit with no assembly required. OKJ will take some work to prevent leakage...firebox is two pieces, upper and lower...Leakage there and where it joins the cook chamber. Also, bolts will easily rust, so you would likely want to buy stainless prior to assembly...No bolts on the OC.
Yes the thermos are an added expense on the OC, but it is well worth it IMO. OC firebox runs the length of the cook chamber and can be used for direct grilling...Grill rack can be used as upper rack in cook chamber adding cook space...The OKJ additional cook space appears to be nothing more than the flat top of the firebox and does not actually add to smoker cook space.

NOTE:. I mentioned thicker steel because the OC is thicker than the OKJs I have seen. This particular unit is a brand new SKU and it doesn't mention what gauge it is...I can only assume it is the standard used other models.

bwram1
02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-over-and-under-smoker#repChildCatid=1277366

SmittyJonz
02-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Ok Joe and Old Country are both 14 Guage ( I think - Ok Joe maybe 16 guage) but I prefer the fully welded Old Country with Bigger Grate Level Exhausts than the bolt together OK Joes.........

Jam Jam
02-01-2017, 10:44 PM
For the same money you can get an Old Country Over & Under from Academy. Thicker steel and is a solid unit with no assembly required. OKJ will take some work to prevent leakage...firebox is two pieces, upper and lower...Leakage there and where it joins the cook chamber. Also, bolts will easily rust, so you would likely want to buy stainless prior to assembly...No bolts on the OC.
Yes the thermos are an added expense on the OC, but it is well worth it IMO. OC firebox runs the length of the cook chamber and can be used for direct grilling...Grill rack can be used as upper rack in cook chamber adding cook space...The OKJ additional cook space appears to be nothing more than the flat top of the firebox and does not actually add to smoker cook space.

NOTE:. I mentioned thicker steel because the OC is thicker than the OKJs I have seen. This particular unit is a brand new SKU and it doesn't mention what gauge it is...I can only assume it is the standard used other models.

Then I take it you're not in the market for one...

I think it's smart they're going for the market segment interested in the reverse flowith option at a more affordable price.

Personally I've only seen a few Old Country grills in person but I wasn't impressed with the craftsmanship so I passed. I'm not going to knock the company it just wasn't my cup of tea. You seem to feel the same about the Chargrill OK Joes.

ChrisBarb
02-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Then I take it you're not in the market for one...

You seem to feel the same about the Chargrill OK Joes.
Actually, it is Charbroil (shudder) that makes OKJ.....

Jam Jam
02-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Stupid autocorrect

ChrisBarb
02-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Can't find them on the OKJ web site. ??

Jam Jam
02-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Best Buy has them on their website

Nuco59
02-02-2017, 07:23 AM
The OK Joe line is not what it was back in the day - rack it up to corporate greed and making the quick buck. That said, I think it's sort of neat that they offer an out of the box (literally) reverse flow cooker. The problem is- anyone who knows what a RF cooker is probably won't bite on one for that $$. I guess if they spent some ad money and hyped the Reverse Flow to the point that you just HAD to have one... but I can't see that happening.

Jam Jam
02-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Fair point