PDA

View Full Version : Rib Rack Air Flow

Jbomb
01-28-2017, 12:36 PM
I am cooking on a 21 inch WSM. I needed to do a couple extra racks so I found a rib rack I bought years ago and never used, not sure of the brand. Probably something from Menards or Lowes. I see there doesn't seem to be much air flow but and holds four racks. Is this going to be a problem? Should I rotate them? Or does it matter? Thank you

Burnt at Both Endz
01-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Trial and error! You could coil the racks of ribs?

dadsr4
01-28-2017, 12:47 PM
The times I have used one on a kettle, the cooks took longer. There was also poorer bark. But you do what you have to do with what you have. A few minutes flat on the grill once they are done helps to crisp up the surface.

KevinJ
01-28-2017, 12:50 PM
I have a WSM 18.5 and have a Rib Rack that will hold 4 racks but I only do 2 at a time because of that (fill every other slot). I found when loading the racks full the ribs on the inside didn't get the smoke color that the outside racks got and didn't cook evenly. I would definitely rotate the ribs if I had todo it again.

When I cook Ribs now I use the Weber Hanging Kit.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x98/zippifish/IMG_0430_zpsfooydyjn.jpg

dadsr4
01-28-2017, 01:02 PM
From here
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_more_than_one.html
"Rib holders like the ones in the picture above are a great way to squeeze more meat into a small area, but beware, there are potential problems. Look at the picture. The meat is almost touching. The air between the slabs in the racks at left will be a lot cooler than the air surrounding the slab flat on the grate at right. That's also a lot of cold mass to heat up at the start of the cook so expect it to take longer to get up to temp and the cook will take a bit longer. That could mean another hour of cooking time is needed.
If the gap between slabs is less than 1" you might need to add still another hour to the cooking time."

Jbomb
01-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I rotated and it all was fine. Deff. need more space between.