PDA

View Full Version : What areas are most popular for Santa Maria style cooking?

Fwismoker
01-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Hands down # 1 is California but is it popular in other regions?

Hoss
01-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Not sure, but it is going to get popular around here when my new cooking rig is finished.I am having one mounted on it along with the smoker.

sloandsteady
01-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Central California is probably the biggest area, also a tri-tip hotbed as well.

sylntghost
01-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Not sure, but it is going to get popular around here when my new cooking rig is finished.I am having one mounted on it along with the smoker.
So that is your Shirley with the Santa Maria on it ? Can't wait to see how that turns out.

BillN
01-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Once I convince my wife to let me get an Az BBQ Scottsdale Cooker it will be popular at my house.:-P

LYU370
01-23-2017, 07:51 PM
OK, maybe a silly question. But what else, besides tri tip, is cooked on Santa Maria cookers? Everything I've ever seen has always been tri tip.

Hoss
01-23-2017, 08:21 PM
So that is your Shirley with the Santa Maria on it ? Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Yes sir,it is.I am excited.

SoCalWJS
01-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Here! :grin:

(I'm about 10 miles N of SM)

Springram
01-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Use to be very few folks in my neck of the woods knew what a tri tip was but these days I am seeing more and more of them at the local markets here.

Leftwngr
01-23-2017, 08:49 PM
OK, maybe a silly question. But what else, besides tri tip, is cooked on Santa Maria cookers? Everything I've ever seen has always been tri tip.

Just about everything. The whole idea is to have variable heat. Chicken is a breeze with it. Any reverse sear cook is simplified. I like to cook over logs exclusively in my Scottsdale, so I find myself changing the grate height a lot as the logs burn down.

Lamb, roasts, flank steak, sausages, veggies, pizza, griddle cooks, smoker set ups... I have two sets of grill grates, a griddle, and a lid for all kinds of oven style cooks. Only restriction is imagination.

Bob Ivey
01-23-2017, 08:51 PM
I don't have a Santa Maria cooker but I do cook tri tip on my Performer. Very easy to get at any Costco in SoCal.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
01-23-2017, 09:08 PM
The tri-tip in CA, is the number 1 location and and cook type. But any steak, burger or chicken whatever is cooked on them.

Richard_
01-23-2017, 09:42 PM
California is where it originated , it was hard to find when I moved to Oregon almost 12 years ago , Santa Maria style is over high heat till done , it gives it a nice char , since my wife doesn't like the char , I do a reverse sear with great results

South Butte Slim
01-23-2017, 11:27 PM
I agree you can cook just about anything on a santa maria grill. I like bone in pork shoulder steaks as well as chicken and beef. Grilled garlic bread and vegtable are fantastic. Ive also seen pork shoulder cut into small steaks seasoned with a pink/red salt and cooked on a half 55 gallon drum with grates that raise and lower. Ive done both baby backs and spare ribs too.

robert-r
01-24-2017, 01:07 AM
Come on over & find out!

mattmountz94
01-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Once I convince my wife to let me get an Az BBQ Scottsdale Cooker it will be popular at my house.:-P

Well when you figure out how to convince her let me know. I have been working on my wife for a year and keep failing

Gary Tomato
01-24-2017, 08:30 AM
There's a small tri-tip chain with two locations in New York; http://www.tritipgrill.com/ I've got it on my food places to check out when i get to the States in May.

dwfisk
01-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Popular on the Fisk farm, but only in cooler weather for us. Been abnormally warm this year but we are just now coming into our "winter" so we hope to bust out some cooks soon. Of course we abor under a general unavailability of tri-tip but we will survive.