PDA

View Full Version : How to get crispy skin on chicken in BGE

dgaddis1
01-23-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm convinced I've got this figured out now. I've read different approaches to to get crispy skin, like mixing some baking powder into the rub/seasoning, or letting the bird sit uncovered in the fridge for a hour or more to dry the skin out.

Nah, you can skip all that. The key, IME, is getting the bird high in the dome so you get radiant heat off the lid. We like doing our chickens spatchcock style, and here's the set up I use:

350*F grill temp.
Platesetter legs up
Drip pan on the platesetter (with aluminum foil balls to put an air get between the pan and platesetter)
Grid at felt level
Raised grid about 4" above the felt

Like this, only without the pizza stone:

http://i.imgur.com/EZlnaxAh.jpg

Cook till the breast meat hits 165*F and you're done, usually takes about 1.25hrs. The bird is moist, takes some smoke (if you add some wood chunks), and has nice crispy skin.

Here's the bird we cooked last night. Got the Egg up to temp and stabilized, took the bird out of the fridge, removed from package, cut out the backbone, laid it flat, patted dry with paper towels, light coating of olive oil, and then seasoned with Dizzy Pig Shaking The Tree (aka lemon pepper). Delicious!!

http://i.imgur.com/9liDfCUh.jpg

And some cornish hens done the same way (but different seasonings).

http://i.imgur.com/CkefUjih.jpg

Big George's BBQ
01-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Great color on those Birds

hurricanedavid
01-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Those yard birds look awesome! I'll have to give that a try on my BGE. Crispy skin has always been a BBQ challenge for me. It does make since that the radiant heat in the dome area would nicely crispen ( is that a word?) the skin.

Thanks, :thumb:

smoke ninja
01-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Have you tried on the grate no diffuser

GLOCKer
01-24-2017, 04:33 PM
I don't have a BGE, but I've gotten the good crispy skin on my Vision kamado!
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13925285_10157515921185107_3449166422990521412_n.j pg?oh=02ebaf8f0e76537b122a73323a33a63c&oe=594C3665

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14068275_10157515939110107_5459903507844049869_n.j pg?oh=10e3206be7ef192e96f338b81cf61ba5&oe=5903B530

TedW
01-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Have you tried on the grate no diffuser

I didn't have luck with my Egg without the diverter + chicken. Great for a nice steak sear, but I burnt chix. That's why I love that 007

Inthewoods
01-24-2017, 04:43 PM
275-300 on the LSG has never failed me.
Lump and apple.

-D

BillN
01-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Nicely done, just thinking about biting into that.

rob g
01-24-2017, 06:05 PM
I do chicken about 350F with no diverter on my Kamado Joe and am having good luck with the skin

smoke ninja
01-24-2017, 06:19 PM
I didn't have luck with my Egg without the diverter + chicken. Great for a nice steak sear, but I burnt chix. That's why I love that 007

I do chicken about 350F with no diverter on my Kamado Joe and am having good luck with the skin

Thats why i was wondering. I do well with no diffuser in the akorn and didn't know how similar the egg was to it. My akorn is slightly modded. I will try cooking a chicken up there just for fun.

Grabnabber
01-24-2017, 06:33 PM
I have found that cooking whole birds on the BGE on the standard grate without the platesetter works (for me) if I flip the bird regularly and maintain temps in the 350* range. That bird would be spatchcocked, BTW.

I prefer "set it and forget it" so I don't cook it like that too often anymore. :mrgreen:

I have raised grate like yours- maybe I'll try your method and see.

Dustin- are you Southern Wheelworks Dustin??? I am a hobby framebuilder hack. :caked:

cheeaa
01-24-2017, 09:50 PM
I have found that cooking whole birds on the BGE on the standard grate without the platesetter works (for me) if I flip the bird regularly and maintain temps in the 350* range. That bird would be spatchcocked, BTW.

I prefer "set it and forget it" so I don't cook it like that too often anymore. :mrgreen:

I have raised grate like yours- maybe I'll try your method and see.

Dustin- are you Southern Wheelworks Dustin??? I am a hobby framebuilder hack. :caked:

Try direct just like this. You won't go back to indirect

Hoss
01-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Crispy Chicken skin on the BGE is kinda like getting into Heaven,there is no one answer.Many methods work.Most do not.Raised, direct is good,high heat indirect is good,only you can please you and the folks you feed.Just eggsperiment,you will find the "sweet spot" that suits you.

TedW
01-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Chicken skin likes direct heat, so no diverter / plate setter to achieve that. This leaves you with the need to watch it closely and turn regularly. More regularly than I want, personally.

Chix skin also wants 350+ to crisp

This is why everyone has multiple rigs. Some work better for certain things.

The OP is seeing the dome action by getting the chix up into that dome more. That's very interesting. You see the dome action on the 007 also.

tjv
01-25-2017, 09:27 AM
many have success with direct set-up at varying heights above the lump. It's just the closer to the lump the bird sits, the more attention you'll need to give it and more precise you'll need to be with how the lump is burning. I prefer to go as high as possible in the dome, just increases my margin on error for all cook parameters.

one thing I do with spatch birds on direct cooks and fire underneath is start the bird skin side down for 5 or so minutes. this gives the skin a jump start on rendering.

remember to check thermometer distance from the bird. last thing you want to do is stick the bird

t

Hotch
01-25-2017, 09:44 AM
As Tom said raised direct is the best way to go. A bit of prep does help. Dry skin on the bird will yield good results. So a trip uncovered in the fridge should help.

And yes pull the temp probe out prior and put it back once the dome is closed!
Some use a spacer, like a wine cork, on the probe to raise it up.

TedW
01-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Crispy Chicken skin on the BGE is kinda like getting into Heaven,there is no one answer.Many methods work.Most do not.Raised, direct is good,high heat indirect is good,only you can please you and the folks you feed.Just eggsperiment,you will find the "sweet spot" that suits you.

This post is worth repeating

IXL
01-25-2017, 01:43 PM
We grill chicken pieces on our BGE, using the plate setter for an indirect cook at around 350F. When the chicken is within 10F or so of the desired finish temperature, the plate setter is removed and the pieces are placed on the cooking grate for a direct-cook finish. This works pretty well, as the egg's temperature starts to climb because of the missing plate setter.

dgaddis1
01-25-2017, 03:14 PM

Yessir, that's me!

I agree there's more than one way to get the same result. What I like about raised indirect vs some of the other methods mentioned here:

No worries with burning or overcooking certain parts from direct heat
No early planning/prep needed. I don't get home till 6:30 during the week so I like being able to take it out of the package and going right to the Egg (with a quick stop to remove the backbone and season).
No messing with it. Put it on and don't touch it, take it off when it's done. No flipping, removing the plate setter, etc. I don't even open the lid again until the IT probe tells me it's done.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.