PDA

View Full Version : Fireboard probe identification?

CSchieck
01-20-2017, 09:06 PM
So the Fireboard arrived today, and I desire to somehow color code/number both ends of the probes to help keep track of which probe is where. I have a total of 10 probes (can only use 6 at a time). Suggestions?

BBQ Freak
01-20-2017, 10:07 PM
mark the with different color finger nail polish maybe or colored tape .

sylntghost
01-20-2017, 11:38 PM
I was wondering if the 3m heat shrink wraps would work. If you look at the tappecue extra care probes they look heat shrinked. I meant to ask them that.

Nuco59
01-21-2017, 05:33 AM
HD and Lowes sell Ideal brand wire marker books- adhesive "plastic impregnated cloth" - numbers or letters. We use them at work - not food related- they hold up to moderate heat and oil pretty well.

CSchieck
01-21-2017, 06:39 AM

Do I not need to be worried about nail polish eventually flaking off as a result of the persistent heat and contaminating the food? Colored tape might work, but I would have the same concern about the heat and eventual contamination of the meat or cooker.

CSchieck
01-21-2017, 06:40 AM
I was wondering if the 3m heat shrink wraps would work. If you look at the tappecue extra care probes they look heat shrinked. I meant to ask them that.

That was the thought that first came to my mind, and I actually have a bunch in the garage already. No concern about the effects of constant heat on the shrink wraps as it pertains to the food?

CSchieck
01-21-2017, 06:41 AM
HD and Lowes sell Ideal brand wire marker books- adhesive "plastic impregnated cloth" - numbers or letters. We use them at work - not food related- they hold up to moderate heat and oil pretty well.

Worth a look. Thanks.

CSchieck
01-21-2017, 06:56 AM
I have been in contact with Fireboard as well. They have been pretty quick to respond to e-mail, and I will let you know if they have any ideas.

JD08
01-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Use nail polish or heat shrink on the wire where it's just outside the smoker. No need to worry about being food safe or heat tolerant and you should be able to trace a line a few feet without confusion.

sylntghost
01-21-2017, 10:15 AM
That was the thought that first came to my mind, and I actually have a bunch in the garage already. No concern about the effects of constant heat on the shrink wraps as it pertains to the food?
What I've seen is the plug end with a little shrink wrap and where the wire goes into the plug with a little shrink wrap. I would think it would not effect food.

BBQ Freak
01-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Do I not need to be worried about nail polish eventually flaking off as a result of the persistent heat and contaminating the food? Colored tape might work, but I would have the same concern about the heat and eventual contamination of the meat or cooker.

all you need is a spot on the probe end away from the food and the other end just to tell which probe is what to make it easy .

CSchieck
01-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Decided to try the heat shrink idea first with three of the probes. Firing up the smoker later today to give it a good test drive.
Set up of the device was simple, and it appears to be functioning with some simple testing inside my home. So far, no complaints.

CSchieck
01-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Cooked for a couple of hours with temps as high as 350, and the heat shrink appears to have held up well.

IamMadMan
01-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Great job....

BBQ Freak
01-22-2017, 07:09 PM
heat shrink looks great , did you get the different colors at a automotive parts store ?

cpw
01-23-2017, 06:31 AM
We put heat shrink on our guru probes, and it works great except that after a while, the white turned almost the same color as the red after all the smoke. This just makes it a little hard to tell which one is white.

JaseSerre
01-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge it is correct that HD and Lowes sell Ideal brand wire marker books- adhesive "plastic impregnated cloth" - numbers or letters. We use them at work - not food related- they hold up to moderate heat and oil pretty well.