PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine cooker

Pigs on The Run
02-07-2007, 02:54 PM
i talked to Jay this week.
Great guy!!!!!
I am almost sold. I was wondering did any one have any experience with the large spice wine ? I am plan to use it for catering and competitions.Thanks
John

n-2-que
02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I am sure the spicewine chefs will chime in, i talked with jay and after 3 calls to them i placed my order for the large have just under 8 weeks til delivery ( cant wait to get it) but as of yet i do not have experience with the smoker but every bit of research on the smokers i could fine, i will just say i was sold.

baggs
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
You'all made a very wise choice in smokers!! Spicewine Ironworks and Columbia Welding is owned by three wonderful guys! I do comps with Jay and his brother Steve and Randy is pretty cool himself. Very user friendly piece of equipment. It keeps the heat and lets you relax a bit. Like how they are making them now. Enjoy and I think you will be very happy with your investment!! Brian

big daddy Q
02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I STARTED COOKING ON A FAST EDDIE, AND HAD A SPICEWINE AS A BACK UP BECAUSE OF ELECTRICAL WORRIES AT COMPS, RARELY USING THE SPICE. THEN LAST YEAR AT THE AMERICAN ROYAL I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET TEAM Q AND COOK ON THEIR BIG SPICE I CAME BACK HOME LOVIN THE SPICE AND TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I DONT USE MANY PELLETS ANYMORE. I COOKED LAST WEEK-END AT 225 FOR 14 HRS ON ABOUT ONE BAG OF KINGSFORD....TOP TEN IN EVERY CATAGORY:icon_clown

smokincracker
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I STARTED COOKING ON A FAST EDDIE, AND HAD A SPICEWINE AS A BACK UP BECAUSE OF ELECTRICAL WORRIES AT COMPS, RARELY USING THE SPICE. THEN LAST YEAR AT THE AMERICAN ROYAL I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET TEAM Q AND COOK ON THEIR BIG SPICE I CAME BACK HOME LOVIN THE SPICE AND TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I DONT USE MANY PELLETS ANYMORE. I COOKED LAST WEEK-END AT 225 FOR 14 HRS ON ABOUT ONE BAG OF KINGSFORD....TOP TEN IN EVERY CATAGORY:icon_clown
tell the boys how you came to have a spicewine cooker!

big daddy Q
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
tell the boys how you came to have a spicewine cooker!

O.K. O.K. This spicewine I have did belong to the famous SMOKIN CRACKER BBQ TEAM. Jimmy sold it to my brother and I stole it from him and welded it in my comp trailer..........now he cooks on a gas grill !!! But back to the cookers you wont regret the investment they are very classy, and well built. the welder that put it in my trailer was 100% impressed with the craftmanship !

Dustaway
02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I have one of the large units being made also, I wish I would of gotten off my arss and ordered one back some time ago, have a large cook-off this weekend and the food tv network almost right next to us sure would of been nice to show the beast off :sad: I'll have my Brethren shirt on friday night :lol:

spicewine
02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I am sure the spicewine chefs will chime in, i talked with jay and after 3 calls to them i placed my order for the large have just under 8 weeks til delivery ( cant wait to get it) but as of yet i do not have experience with the smoker but every bit of research on the smokers i could fine, i will just say i was sold.

I have been working my arse off and I think that 8 weeks is looking more like 4!! I Bumped you up brother and I think that you will have your cooker sooner than you think!!

BTW are you sure you want me to paint it Pink!!:lol:

This is no crap!! We stopped production at the end of November in order to take inventory and do the year end accounting. We told the few that called that we would not start production again untill January 1st. We have 4 that just came from the paint shop, dropped off 2 when we picked them up and have 8 being built in the shop and 2 waiting. It's Freaking February and we have 16 cookers going out !! Did I mention that I love BBQ???

I want to thank all of the Brothers for their support! There are alot of GREAT cookers to choose from out there and of them you chose mine. For that I am truely thankfull

Spice

jpw23
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I have been working my arse off and I think that 8 weeks is looking more like 4!! I Bumped you up brother and I think that you will have your cooker sooner than you think!!

BTW are you sure you want me to paint it Pink!!:lol:

This is no crap!! We stopped production at the end of November in order to take inventory and do the year end accounting. We told the few that called that we would not start production again untill January 1st. We have 4 that just came from the paint shop, dropped off 2 when we picked them up and have 8 being built in the shop and 2 waiting. It's Freaking February and we have 16 cookers going out !! Did I mention that I love BBQ???

I want to thank all of the Brothers for their support! There are alot of GREAT cookers to choose from out there and of them you chose mine. For that I am truely thankfull

Spice

I don't have one of your cookers...hope to someday soon but, its a testament to your work ethic that people buy your cookers. I've looked over all the pics that people post and I have looked over your site many times.....good , old fashioned, quality workmanship is what I see and at a fair price...if that ain't the American way, I don't know what is.....my best to you Spice:biggrin:

n-2-que
02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
SHhhhhh Spice you wasn't suppose to give away the paint job of Pink :P, WOW just read this and thought omg smoker sooner then i thought Holy***t i can't wait.

spicewine
02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I was just Screwing with Ya!! It's gonna be at least 12 weeks.:shock:

OK!! OK!! Now I 'm Just jerkin' your chain man because that's what Brothers do.

I will contact you when I get it to the paint shop.

Spice

Sledneck
02-07-2007, 09:41 PM

You want to sell the fast eddie?

spicewine
02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
You want to sell the fast eddie?

BIG DADDY CAN'T HEAR YOU UNLESS YOU SHOUT!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sledneck
02-07-2007, 09:46 PM
bIG DADDY DO YOU WANT TO SELL THE FAST EDDIE?

Brauma
02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
John, I'll make a deal with ya, if you buy the Spice, I'll help you break it in!! Its the least I can do.

Man I think this is great. What a great Network of Brothers.

big daddy Q
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
bIG DADDY DO YOU WANT TO SELL THE FAST EDDIE?I kind of went weld crazy when I built my trailer ......its welded in too, but J-MACK cookers out of k.y. has one for sale I just talked to him last week but I dont have his #, I dont remember the price, but it was pretty cheap.......... JAY!!!! I just get so darn excited about bbq I shout !!!!!!

Plowboy
02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
With all of this talk of Spicewine smokers, I actually had a dream that I bought one last night.

Markbb
02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Spicewine Question do you have a cataloge or a calander of your cookers if so than I'd would like to get one or two. Thanks if not than maybe a calander catalog maybe in the future!:-D

smokincracker
02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Now that’s an idea!

A calendar? With smoker candy on top of the cookers.

Jay I think we should work on this!

Dale P
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I talked to Jay last night and mine will be done this week or so. Cant wait.

Solidkick
02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Ummmm.....Jay....if you're too tired to compete from building all these cookers, I'm in the bullpen if you need to go to someone to cook butts.....

spicewine
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Now that’s an idea!

A calendar? With smoker candy on top of the cookers.

Jay I think we should work on this!

Just a trip through the " Candy Store " Would be fun!!! Got anyone in mind??? Maybe the two girls at the Royal that you and Big Jim reeled in to decorate our cook site!!!:wink:

Kick-------Keep your hands off my Butts!!!:mrgreen:

Mrs. Sawdust
02-08-2007, 06:06 PM
John,
I think you PM'd my Hubby and he wasn't sure how to answer you. We purchased a large Spicewinge cooker from Jay late last year. We plan to use it for competitions only. Since we received it we have made a lot of test cooks. So we feel comfortable with the cooker now. The Spicewine was very easy to learn how to use. We fill it with charcoal and maybe a few sticks to get the large water vat hot. THen the cooker seems to want to cook nicely at 225. It stays that way for at least 3.5 hrs. Your mileage may vary dependant on the charcoal you use and the settings on the cooker. The cooker is absolutely a metalworkers work of art. It does exactly what Jay says it will. You can cook a comp on one large spicewine with ease. I think yo asked Guy (Hubby) how may butts it cooks but we have never tried to fill it with butts and do a cook. (Since its only been used for competition cooks). The bottom line is the cooker is built like a tank (that's a good thing) it's truly a work of art (Wonderful craftsmenship) and works perfectly as advertised. Lastly, your dealing with an owner and company of the highest integrity. Jay stands behind his products and you wll find no easier business person to dealy with than Jay Curry.

ericoask
02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Very easy cooker to learn on. Holds temps great in 30 degree weather and less. Cant wait to try it when its warm. Sure gets alot of looks when cooking in the driveway.

ole'e
02-09-2007, 09:59 AM
John,
I think you PM'd my Hubby and he wasn't sure how to answer you. We purchased a large Spicewinge cooker from Jay late last year. We plan to use it for competitions only. Since we received it we have made a lot of test cooks. So we feel comfortable with the cooker now. The Spicewine was very easy to learn how to use. We fill it with charcoal and maybe a few sticks to get the large water vat hot. THen the cooker seems to want to cook nicely at 225. It stays that way for at least 3.5 hrs. Your mileage may vary dependant on the charcoal you use and the settings on the cooker. The cooker is absolutely a metalworkers work of art. It does exactly what Jay says it will. You can cook a comp on one large spicewine with ease. I think yo asked Guy (Hubby) how may butts it cooks but we have never tried to fill it with butts and do a cook. (Since its only been used for competition cooks). The bottom line is the cooker is built like a tank (that's a good thing) it's truly a work of art (Wonderful craftsmenship) and works perfectly as advertised. Lastly, your dealing with an owner and company of the highest integrity. Jay stands behind his products and you wll find no easier business person to dealy with than Jay Curry.

You only get 3.5 hours of burn time on a load of charcoal?

Mrs. Sawdust
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
You only get 3.5 hours of burn time on a load of charcoal?

I guess you didn't read the whole post including this sentence....

It stays that way for at LEAST 3.5 hrs. Your mileage may vary dependant on the charcoal you use and the settings on the cooker.

Bigmista
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Can someone post some action shots of the spicewine in action? Maybe how the charcoal is loaded? The shelves? The water pan?

Mrs. Sawdust
02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Neil,

It's been a little cold here but I promise you the next time we smoke (in about a week or two) I will take pictures of the whole spicewine with labels..........justa...fo...you...big guy.

swamprb
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Are there any backyarders using the Spicewine? I'd also like to see them in action.

Dale P
02-15-2007, 06:39 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/BAR-B-Q/000_0196.jpg

Jay sent me this pic of my new toy. Looks like i'm gonna get it in a few days. Very excited and plan on giving it a proper name soon.

backyardchef
02-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Nice, Dale! Enjoy it....

Bigmista
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I still don't know how you load the charcoal in the spicewine. Is there a basket or is it just flat in a grate? How do you maintain longer burns?

Action shots please?

Dustaway
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/BAR-B-Q/000_0196.jpg

Jay sent me this pic of my new toy. Looks like i'm gonna get it in a few days. Very excited and plan on giving it a proper name soon.

Congratulations looks nice hope you enjoy it as much as I'm going to enjoy mine :mrgreen:

Dale P
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Bigmista, I dont know for sure other than it is sort of like a WSM but they are about 400 lbs heavier, but as soon as we get ours, I promise to report back to you. I hear great things about them but pics of them in action are kind of rare to find unless i'm looking in the wrong places.

On edit-Just talked to Jay and the smoker has left his shop looking for its new home!

spicewine
02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Vinny: Your Smoker is ready for it's big Television Debut. I will send your pix tomorrow.

Dale P
02-15-2007, 08:35 PM
I hope we get an advance notice about this TV deal. I dont want to miss it.

MilitantSquatter
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Congrats Dale !!! Now we'll just need pics from your first cook with it...

More info on should be available soon.

Pig Headed
02-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Jay,

Which of your cookers compare to the Backwoods Competitor as far as size goes.

MilitantSquatter
02-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Jay,

Which of your cookers compare to the Backwoods Competitor as far as size goes.

I don't think it's an apples for apples comparison (not factoring in cost, quality etc.)...

Per the website, a large Spicewine with three shelves is 17.7 sq/ft with the optional fourth shelf takes it to 23.6 sq/ft. I believe Jay told me the spacing is approx. 6" between shelves.

the Backwoods Competitor lists at 22 sq. ft with 8 shelves, but the spacing between shelves is only 3" apart, which makes the cooking space deceiving in that it would be hard to fit pork shoulders on racks with 3" spacing... you may end up needing to remove shelves if you were only cooking larger cuts.(just a guess on my part)

Pig Headed
02-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks Vinny. Just gathering some info.

spicewine
02-17-2007, 08:16 PM
F Y I !! Just incase some of you are wondering why I don't post on threads that are concerning my Smokers.

When I am on this site " I AM CLOCKED OUT " I just enjoy the company of you brothers and don't like to talk Business!! I am glad that you all talk amongst yourselves and I am watching and reading, but will not respond.

If you are interested PM me or give me a call. We will both be better for the effort.

Thanks in advance !

Spice

Sawdustguy
02-17-2007, 08:27 PM
We can't fault you for that Jay. All work and no play is just no damn good except in bizzaro world.:wink:

spicewine
02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I have a great looking Woman waiting for me in Bizzaro World

brdbbq
02-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Kinf of like asking John Kerry what steak sauce he likes.

Dale P
02-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Jay I am so excited sitting her unable to type so well because I am 3/4 drunk been to a party to watch my U of L Cards win at the buzzer and I want to thank you for my smoker that you built for me. My wife told me not to get online but if I did everything she wanted, yo uwould only be behind 19 cookers. Cant hit these kweys to good so i better talk latrer. LOL no kidding,I cant type!LOL

Mo-Dave
02-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Congrats Dale !!! Now we'll just need pics from your first cook with it...

More info on should be available soon.

I was up to Spicewine Ironworks this week to order my new smoker and I got to see yours, very nice.
Dave

Dale P
02-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Whoa what a hangover I had yesterday. I cant hardly drink anymore.
Mo, congrats on your order.