PDA

View Full Version : Boston Butt Problems

piddlin
01-14-2017, 08:27 PM
So, I built a UDS a few weeks ago and seasoned with a lb of bacon. A couple days later I did 2 lbs of bacon. And last weekend I did an 8 lb butt. It took 9 hours to get to 195 (it stalled at 165 for 2 hours) then I let it rest wrapped for 1 1/2 hours. It was one of the best butts I've done on any smoker.

So, I felt comfortable enough with the UDS to have family over today for another butt, with the plans to eat at 5:00. I started an hour earlier (5 am), since this one was 10.5 lbs. I was a little concerned at it getting to target temp too early, because it was at 160 at 11:00. But then it hit it's stall. At 5:30 (12 1/2 hrs) it's still on the smoker and had just came out of it's stall at 173. With everyone waiting I went ahead and pulled it, wrapped and let rest for 30 min. It did get to 178 while wrapped. It was better than I thought it would be, but a little tougher and drier than last week. Which I understood the fat didn't get to it's breaking temps, until I noticed there was no fat inside the butt. I expected it to be clumps of fat internal since I pulled it before it got to 195.

-Was the low fat content the reason it stayed at it's stall zone for so long? or was it the extra 2 lbs?

-I still have a couple cups of liquid (not grease) in the bottom of the UDS after each cook. It was snowing last week and misty rain early this morning. Is humidity the reason for the condensation?

I use the original lid with a 6 inch pipe in the bung hole. And I leave the small hole open also. I have 3) 3/4 inch nipples in the bottom, with a ball valve in one. I was able to keep the temps between 225 and 240 with both butts by capping 2 inlets and the valve open about half way. Exhaust is always fully open. I use a Maverick 732 for grill and meat temps.

I've been really impressed with the UDS for the simplicity and ability to lock in. But today left me a little discouraged. I'm hoping it was just an issue with the butt. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Westx
01-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Every piece of meat cooks different which sounds like what you ran into. Personally unless I am cooking overnight for a noon meal I cook my butts at 250 to 275 and they can go anywhere from 9 to 13 hrs. Also butts are one of the few meats I wrap which I do at 160 enternal temp with either apple or grape juice. That will help get through the stall and keep the meat moist. My finished temp is anywhere from 200 to 208.

SmittyJonz
01-14-2017, 09:50 PM
More Fat = More Stall. 275* is The Best BBQ Temp. Butts take longer than Brisket in my experiences. I plan for up to 10 hrs on a 10 lb Butt running 275*-300* but some get done in 7-8 hrs and some 9-10 hrs......