PDA

View Full Version : Fat Loss competition

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 11:18 AM
So a few fellas here at work are doing a fat loss competition. God knows I am to the point that I need to be a part of it. I need to be VERY strict for 6 weeks as it is pretty competitive. Who has some healthy ideas they want to throw my way? Cant imagine I will make it 6 weeks on salad and oatmeal alone!

smoke ninja
01-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Mrs. Silverfinger had done well on a bbq diet, try asking Ray about it.

csmcvey
01-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Keto Diet FTW

4ever3
01-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Google Primal Diet....

Detroitdad
01-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Sir,

About three years ago I decided that I needed to lose some weight. After doing a ton of research here is what I decided to do. It was more of a life change than anything else. It might not completely mesh with a 6 week diet plan.

Install the MyFitnessPal app. For the first three months I put everything I ate in this app.

Instead of eating several large meals a day. I would eat five small meals a day and exercise for 30 minutes a day 5 times a week.

I have a bad back. I found that swimming laps was ideal for me. I would swim laps 3 days a week and hit the treadmill twice a week.

I lost 27 pounds and have been able to keep it off.

Oh, and had to cut down on my beer intake......yikes

Good Luck and keep us updated with the journey

pigville porkers
01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Diet is nothing more than less fat and more calories out than in.. so helthy eating plus exercise... no magic pills or drinks Use the app called loose it.. food logging program.. helps you stay accountable for what you put in your body... since June 2016 im am a average 45 lbs down with this basic concept.

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 11:30 AM
I should have been more specific. I was looking for recipes or meal ideas. I know how to eat healthy and have seen or tried most of the unbalanced diets out there. I plan on using this 6 week "binge" as a way to change my lifestyle back to what it was before I lost my way. I appreciate the ideas thus far guys!

TedW
01-06-2017, 11:38 AM
All calories are not created equal
All sugars are not created equal
All fats are not created equal.

This makes general statements about "low-fat" or "low-sugar" or low-calorie hard to follow.

LYU370
01-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Low Carb! Down 8lbs. since Jan 2. You can either do it for quick weight loss or longer term as a lifestyle change. It does work if you can keep the carbs down, but it's hard to give up those carbs... Bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. And carbs hide in the strangest of places, read labels! Stay away from anything that says LOW FAT, usually means high carbs.

TedW
01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Quick loss = quick return

jason&egla
01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
I'm not fat, I'm just under tall.

TedW
01-06-2017, 12:15 PM
I'm not fat, I'm just under tall.

lol!

Yendor
01-06-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure about recipes. It's pretty straight forward. Measure it. I am currently on calorie restriction, 1800 a day along with 5 days of at least 30 mins of exercise. It doesn't go in my mouth unless I have weighed or measured it and logged it into my food app.

Don't change your diet so radically that you hate it. There is nothing wrong with that 4 ounces of pulled pork with 2 tbs of our favorite sauce. Heck, that's under 200 calories. Along with a nice salad and your on easy street to a nice healthy, balanced and tasty meal.

For dinner tonight the wife and I will be making tortilla pizzas.

tortilla, pizza sauce (2 tbs I think), pepperoni, veggies, 1/4 cup cheese all under 500 calories, and most importantly, filling. Everything we put on it will be measured and logged.

Jason TQ
01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Good luck. Competitions are good for quick weight loss, but as others have mentioned do think also about long term changes. I'm not big now, but was 50lbs heavier at my heaviest. Took eating better an exercise and a few times yoyo'ing to really get dedicated. Crash diets are only good for short term the vast majority of the time. Find a food "lifestyle change" that works best for you.

cullenbranson
01-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Eggs . . . fried, scrambled, poached, hard/soft boiled, quiched, burritoed, tacoed, spiced (turmeric), broil it, boil it, put it on a sandwich . . .

For carb fixes, do sweet potatoes. I've been doing them cubed and roasted with olive oil (not EVOO), salt, smoked paprika, and a little cinnamon. Delicious. About 1" size - 450 - 25 mins.

Maya Kaimal has a good line of sauces - great on B/S chicken breast chunks, with whatever veggies - squash good choice. If you don't make your own and are into Indian dishes.

TedW
01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Natural Eggs are the next superfood. I say "natural," as the ones in the store come from chix fed... youdonwannaknow

Chix fed naturally, like with live bugs, are nutrient-dense and delicious. And very good for you, now that the US Gov has finally conceded the lack of correlation between dietary and blood cholesterol

JD08
01-06-2017, 01:25 PM
8 oz NY Strip steak and asparagus. Lean protein, no starch, plenty of vitamins and you get the reminder that you ate healthy when you pee.

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Eggs . . . fried, scrambled, poached, hard/soft boiled, quiched, burritoed, tacoed, spiced (turmeric), broil it, boil it, put it on a sandwich . . .

For carb fixes, do sweet potatoes. I've been doing them cubed and roasted with olive oil (not EVOO), salt, smoked paprika, and a little cinnamon. Delicious. About 1" size - 450 - 25 mins.

Maya Kaimal has a good line of sauces - great on B/S chicken breast chunks, with whatever veggies - squash good choice. If you don't make your own and are into Indian dishes.

Thank you sir!

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Natural Eggs are the next superfood. I say "natural," as the ones in the store come from chix fed... youdonwannaknow

Chix fed naturally, like with live bugs, are nutrient-dense and delicious. And very good for you, now that the US Gov has finally conceded the lack of correlation between dietary and blood cholesterol

Thanks! I have always spent the extra cash on real eggs. When it comes to natural chicken it seems the word "natural" is a matter of opinion. I do my best without spending an hour in the grocery store doing research

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 01:31 PM
8 oz NY Strip steak and asparagus. Lean protein, no starch, plenty of vitamins and you get the reminder that you ate healthy when you pee.

No starch is tough but I am confident I can limit myself

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 01:33 PM
This isnt a "crash" diet either. This is 6 weeks over being overly strict to retrain myself to be healthier. To re learn what actual portion sizes should be. I dont plan on doing this for 6 weeks or reverting to old ways. I plan on being very very strict for 6 weeks and getting back to a healthy normal after. I do not plan on losing......

TedW
01-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks! I have always spent the extra cash on real eggs. When it comes to natural chicken it seems the word "natural" is a matter of opinion. I do my best without spending an hour in the grocery store doing research

Visit local farmers and look at their operation. Grocery stores are just variations on the same poor theme.

Health article out this week- Just because you improve your diet doesn't mean you'll see instant results. Your old gut bacteria will take a while to die down while the new gut bacteria takes over.

Jrogers84
01-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Visit local farmers and look at their operation. Grocery stores are just variations on the same poor theme.

I have a co worker who has chickens. I buy all my eggs from him in the summer as they lay a lot more then. It is a lot easier finding healthy/fresh eggs in the summer where I am from. Were all hermits in the winter

EDIT: Just noticed youre also from Michigan, albeit the north. You know the winter struggle.

TedW
01-06-2017, 01:49 PM
I have a co worker who has chickens. I buy all my eggs from him in the summer as they lay a lot more then. It is a lot easier finding healthy/fresh eggs in the summer where I am from. Were all hermits in the winter

I'm up here by Leelanau- lol. I speak Hermit, too.

And that's just awesome where you get your eggs. Our food providers used to be our friends and neighbors. I moved here because of the local food, and these farmers are my friends. We talk dirty, about soil

BillN
01-06-2017, 04:16 PM

Best eggs I ever ate were free range and fed a scoop of fresh horse chit every day.

TedW
01-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Best eggs I ever ate were free range and fed a scoop of fresh horse chit every day.

You'd think an egg is an egg.

chingador
01-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Look into Abs > 40. I have been on it since Sunday after thanksgiving and I am down 25 pounds. It is a total system: workouts, diet and supplements. Basically the diet is healthy proteins, veggies, low carb (brown rice, sweet potatoes), and healthy fats (evoo, coconut oil, avocado). The supplements are expensive and the way they do bussiness is a bit shady the way they do things but it really works. The supplements are quality, and the workouts are awesome. It is a lifestyle change but for the better. The big selling point is that this program naturally restores testosterone.

I have done crash diets and fad diets. Lost about 50 lbs a few years ago on the HCG diet and kept it off for the most part. Play tennis about 5 days per week and eat moderately healthy but the weight slowly came back. On the way back down now. I am feeling better than I have in a long time

Westx
01-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Look on Facebook for Low caring among friends and other low carb pages. We have been using tons of the recipes from them. I have lost almost 30 lbs over the last 2 years even with tons of good smoked protien. I am not the strictest person as I still like a good burger every now and then and some good Blue Bell but so for I am maintaing my weight within two to three punds.

jham0077
01-06-2017, 06:32 PM
I've always said it's not what you eat, but how much you eat. But I'm 5'10" and 187. Portions are very important.

Smokie185
01-06-2017, 07:21 PM
You can also wrap the asparagus in Prosciutto and roast it.

Badjak
01-07-2017, 03:29 AM
I don't know if it works for you, but eating more SE Asian style (home cooked) works for me. Relatively small portions, but more often.

My uncle used to have a fairly good diet plan as well. He called is EHOE
Eat Half Of Everything
So if you normally have 2 glasses of wine, just have one.
If you normally eat some peanuts, now eat half the amount.
It goes a long way tp preventing a craving for a specific food....

OferL
01-07-2017, 03:51 AM
This isnt a "crash" diet either. This is 6 weeks over being overly strict to retrain myself to be healthier. To re learn what actual portion sizes should be. I dont plan on doing this for 6 weeks or reverting to old ways. I plan on being very very strict for 6 weeks and getting back to a healthy normal after. I do not plan on losing......

No advice. Just support brother. I hope you make a good change and stay healthy.