PDA

View Full Version : My Bandera Quest

gzac83
02-05-2007, 06:37 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post, after several years of cooking on a friends domestic Bandera, I decided I needed one of my own. After looking for one and reading many of the archives from 4 years ago, I finally accepted that likelihood of me finding a domestic Bandera was between slim and none, very close to none. I was looking for that label "Made in the USA".

The current smokers are now again labeled New Braunfels Bandera Smokers (but no Made in the USA) are marketed by the W C Bradley Company/Charbroil are made in China per the box labels and are being sold for $199 at Academy, unassembled and are much inferior quality to the domestics.

After much looking, I lucked out and found what I think is an older model Charbroil same company (but with the Charbroil logo on the front door of the cooking chamber). The three laminated bamboo wood shelves tells me it was also made in China as I had no box. However, this smoker was assembled, with a few minor dents and scratches and appeared to have been on the floor for several years. Overlooking the blemishes, this smoker appeared to be slightly better quality than the product current and what seemed to me better fit on the doors and had very few open spots for smoke to escape. My guess that due to the blemishes it had not sold for several years and it must be an early model after Charbroil bought out NB. I could not pass it up after I talked the Home Depot store manager down from the $289.00 price and was able to purchase for $159.00.

So I brought it home, (no name yet) and I am preparing for baffle modification, firebox lining, both side firebrick additions, lazy q, etc. Have not seasoned it yet, but I am thinking peanut oil cured with hickory wood.

So thanks for all the advice, looking forward to turning out some great "Q"

chad
02-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Nice score...good price!! Do the important mods and enjoy!!

jpw23
02-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Nice score .......I'm sure you will enjoy that for many years! As for seasoning....just wipe her down with any veggie oil and build a fire.