PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pit decision help

Walrusz06
12-30-2016, 03:49 AM
Hi there all! Great community. Learned a lot by lurking over the holidays.

I'm currently looking to get a new stick burner. Currently do a lot on my WSM 22.5, but wanting to go for more. I'm the type of guy who likes to buy something once, and get great quality. I've convinced the wife for about a 3.5k budget and I'm toying between a lone star grillz 24x48 with a few options (comes in slightly under buget shipped to Ohio), and a Pitmaker sniper 48 (which comes in slightly over budget shipped).

Wait time not a huge deal but LSG is 16 weeks and pitmaker 4 weeks. Ive looked at yonder and horizon but prefer the smaller, more custom shops.

Anyone have any thoughts on my ideas and care to chime in and help me make this decision?

Bosox1901
12-30-2016, 04:51 AM
I have the same decision to make..currently using a Yoder YS640 pellet, But it is way to easy. Im ready to earn my man card and cook with wood fire. Im leaning towards Shirley Fabrication. They are small family, and custom.

pjtexas1
12-30-2016, 06:11 AM
I agree with sox on the shirley if you want a small family run shop but the wait is really long but worth it. they have great pricing and the sky is the limit with customization. Sorry for the detour.

Between your 2 choices I would go with LSG. I've always been impressed with the owners and the quality products they produce.

Ayvatr
12-30-2016, 06:45 AM
LSG looks like a well made product but I would include Shirley and Lang in the mix if I were looking for stick burners in your price range.

Ron_L
12-30-2016, 06:51 AM
Both of your choices are solid, but I agree with Shirley, plus look at Meadowcreek. They are in PA, so you my even be able to pick one up.

HawgHeaven
12-30-2016, 06:58 AM
Both of your choices are solid, but I agree with Shirley, plus look at Meadowcreek. They are in PA, so you my even be able to pick one up.
Yup, Meadowcreek is a solid unit for sure. I have a Klose, which is also a great cooker, butt the Meadowcreek would be my go to if there is a next time...

Durangutan
12-30-2016, 07:27 AM
I have a couple of Yoders and their reputation for quality is earned and they will treat you right. I ordered a Horizon Marshal 30 the first week in August for an October delivery; still waiting. If the Horizon falls through, I'm going to get a LSG... and just might anyway. :wink:

CT-Mike
12-30-2016, 07:58 AM
This one is $500 over budget but would be my choice if I was looking for a patio model, 12 month wait time is tough though.

http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/product/patio-24x60-cabinet

BBQ Freak
12-30-2016, 08:16 AM
I would go with Shirley , LSG or a Lang and all will get the job done at the end of the day but them LSG have been catching my eye .

BBQ Freak
12-30-2016, 08:36 AM
also check out Pits By JJ , they are to notch pits with shorter build times .

JohnH12
12-30-2016, 09:10 AM
All great pits I'm sure but don't forget the Lang smokers made in Nahunta GA. They build a great pit and the current wait is only about 4 weeks.

Adubree86
12-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Well under your 3.5k budget and the last cooker that I'll ever own. Plus if you order the smaller patio versions like this Paul builds them on the side and the wait time is way less. Paul built mine.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/adamdubree/Smokers/E41A2510-2479-4D4A-B2F6-4F58F21A28D3_zps8q2x0qth.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/adamdubree/media/Smokers/E41A2510-2479-4D4A-B2F6-4F58F21A28D3_zps8q2x0qth.jpg.html)

This cook included 4 butts, 3 spatched chickens, 2 whole turkey breast and two racks of STL ribs with plenty of room to spare. Cooked two trays of beans in the warmer.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/adamdubree/Food/48E328A8-DC2D-4BC1-A9DE-D1088864320A_zps8ikubxho.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/adamdubree/media/Food/48E328A8-DC2D-4BC1-A9DE-D1088864320A_zps8ikubxho.jpg.html)

SmittyJonz
12-30-2016, 11:11 AM
I'd be ordering a Paul Shirley Model.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240569

Walrusz06
12-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Ok. Thanks a bunch. Looking into Shirley at the moment. Is a reverse flow smoker more of a challenge for fire tending vs regular?

Adubree86
12-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Ok. Thanks a bunch. Looking into Shirley at the moment. Is a reverse flow smoker more of a challenge for fire tending vs regular?

Nope. And a shirley isn't that hard to tend at all. Once mine is to temp I throw on a split roughly every hour. That insulated box is awesome. There are also really no hot spots on it like there would be with a standard offset without tuning plates. Some guys like this others don't. Depends on how you cook. I personally like to be consistent across the whole main chamber and if I need to cook hotter at the same time I throw it in the warmer and partially open the damper from the firebox to the warmer. That allows me to cook at two different temps. You can really play with temps a lot between the two chambers with those dampers. The other nice thing about the warmer is if you have a smaller cook and have the baffle blocker and both dampers you can cook efficiently in the warmer only.

olewarthog
12-30-2016, 01:34 PM
For a stickburner by a small, family owned shop, take a look at Bubba Grills. You won't find a finer man to work with than Lonnie Smith. Former Memphis in May World Rib Champion. Back to back Big Pig Jig Grand Champions. "If you ain't cookin' on a Bubba Grill, you ain't cookin'" www.bubbagrills.net

jmellor
12-30-2016, 02:56 PM
I recently went through the same process...with a lot of help from folks here and a lot of research I narrowed it down to Shirley and Lone Star Grillz...I liked both a lot. Ultimately for me it came down to a few things...

Traditional vs Reverse flow. For me, I decided traditional was more flexible.

Shipping. Seriously, having someone to work with on shipping made a difference. Even with generous offers from people on this site to help split a drive to get a Shirley.

Fit, finish, and feel. To me, after much research I love the footprint of the LSG and its overall look. The Shirleys are awesome as well but just a personal preference I guess.

You can see the pics on my new LSG 24x48 on the thread I posted a couple days ago. After a seasoning and a couple cooks, its exactly what I expected.

Good luck with the process
Its half the fun!

bergenguy
01-02-2017, 11:44 AM
I went through this exactly a year ago. I ended up with a Johnson Custom. Was very straight forward to deal with and the wait was reasonable. It was completed in March and shipped in April. One thing to consider as well, is if they arrange shipping. I underestimated how helpful it is and the better rate you will get if the manufacturer also arranges it through their relationships. I'm glad that Johnson did it for me. I believe LSG does this as well. As far as the pit goes, it's built like a tank, it's RF, and Ive been pleased with the results. Like with anything else, it takes some time to get to know your pit, but I'm very happy with where I am at now. I posted a thread when I received it and some pics in various cooks I've done. search the forum for "Johnson 2D Patio" and you should be able to see some pics if you are interested.

Just another option, hope this helps and doesn't add to the confusion.

Smith's Pig Pen
01-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Lonestar Grillz.

Everybody raves about the quality and the service. Also, the 4 month lead time isn't too bad either. This gives you time to have second thoughts on a vertical offset too:mod:

gtsum
01-02-2017, 12:34 PM
I am in similar boat. Started on a COS, then bandera, then pits and spits 24x48 offset, then stumps gravity feed, now with a ceramic...want to pick up a stick burner as well.

I am not into a 6-9-12 month wait, so Shirley is out for me. Lsg looks good, Lang is bullet proof (but maybe not as pretty as others) and a myriad of other options in Texas exist (pits by jj, klose, gator, etc). Gator seems higher in price and not really sure why? Demand perhaps? I really like the design and attention to detail on the pitmaker sniper, but seems very, very few people on this board have them or recommend them for some reason. Back when I had my P&S it seemed klose was THE pit to have...now it seems it's Shirley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksBBQ
01-02-2017, 12:51 PM
I just got a vertical offset from LSG and I am very happy with my purchase. The build quality is top notch. The only thing different I would have done on mine if I had to order it over again would be to upgrade to the stainless steel side table.

gtsum
01-02-2017, 01:20 PM
I just got a vertical offset from LSG and I am very happy with my purchase. The build quality is top notch. The only thing different I would have done on mine if I had to order it over again would be to upgrade to the stainless steel side table.

would you go with a 12 or 14 inch table?

JacksBBQ
01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
would you go with a 12 or 14 inch table?

I got Chris to change mine from the standard 10 in wide table to 12 in which I'm really happy I did. That seems to be enough to hold the big baking sheets I work on a lot. Another 2 in would probably nice but Im not sure how much it would help with the vertical offset. The main chamber door really kills your working area because you can't have anything sitting on your table in front of it when opening or closing the door. I've got a kitchen cart thing though I just put perpendicular to smoker which gives me a huge working area.

bram03
01-02-2017, 04:59 PM
You surely cant go wrong with a Shirley...

BillN
01-02-2017, 08:08 PM
I ended up getting a 24 X 36 LSG, if I had to do it over again I would have gone with a 48", not because I need more room but to allow the smoke/air flow more time in the cook chamber. As far as quality I am very happy with the LSG. I was quite anxious over the shipping but it turned out to be a nonissue. I also like the idea of a Shirley with straight back and cabinet doors. My 36" inch lid is heavy that my wife can't open it, hopefully I will always be able to open the lid, this was not on my list of considerations when I ordered my LSG hopefully will never be an issue.

Pappy Q
01-03-2017, 04:20 AM
There is a Jambo backyard model for sale in the Sales forum for $2600. These are about as good of a stick burner made.

bbqwizard
01-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Well under your 3.5k budget and the last cooker that I'll ever own. Plus if you order the smaller patio versions like this Paul builds them on the side and the wait time is way less. Paul built mine.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/adamdubree/Smokers/E41A2510-2479-4D4A-B2F6-4F58F21A28D3_zps8q2x0qth.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/adamdubree/media/Smokers/E41A2510-2479-4D4A-B2F6-4F58F21A28D3_zps8q2x0qth.jpg.html)

This cook included 4 butts, 3 spatched chickens, 2 whole turkey breast and two racks of STL ribs with plenty of room to spare. Cooked two trays of beans in the warmer.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/adamdubree/Food/48E328A8-DC2D-4BC1-A9DE-D1088864320A_zps8ikubxho.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/adamdubree/media/Food/48E328A8-DC2D-4BC1-A9DE-D1088864320A_zps8ikubxho.jpg.html)
Man! That's nice!

C Rocke
01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Built like a tank, hold temp for 18+ hours, nice people to work with - Spicewine would be my choice (Again,lol). Call Jay and talk with him...

www.spicewineironworks.com

ksbbq
01-03-2017, 05:50 PM
I have been a stick burner for 25 years and burnt through several entry level that took a lot of patience... I still have my Okie Joe but way to small.. last spring I finally bought my last!!! It is a Yoder 24" Durango... They also make a 20" as well.... It seems right in your price range but not sure of shipping or a distributer in your area?? Yoder is home town for myself so an obvious decision but have never heard of any not happy with the quality of anthing with Yoder on it.... I have done some seriously large cooks in this thing and love the consistency from end to end on temp.. Also the vertical is a huge plus as it runs about 90-100 lower than the horizontal and is a great large area with 5 grates for warming, jerky or smoking links while I smoke the other around 225.... You can remove the grates in the vertical as well and comes with hanging bars for turkey and suck... I am also able to adjust the temp end to end with air flow.. smoked a 10 pd prime rib at 260 yesterday and kept the 4 racks of baby backs to a temp of around 220... had 65 links in the vertical and all perfect... like any pit it takes time to learn it.. good luck on your search!

Here is a pic of her loaded with 9 racks of ribs, 20 pds of jerky, 40 links and 36 pds of butts...

2stroke250
01-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Cook on my 24/42 Shirley twice week min even in freezing temps works awesome highly recommended

Ocastro86
01-05-2017, 02:17 AM
I placed my order last week on a LSG 24x48 I drove up to their shop man I was really impressed with the smokers I was going for a 24x40 but when I was there just decided to go bigger so all I could say for know is that their work looks great I was there for over an hour trying to decide on what to get and the smoker are well made and look grate

Durangutan
01-05-2017, 08:25 AM
^^^Cabin fever, internet access and a credit card are a dangerous combination. Whether the Horizon I ordered ever shows up or not, I ordered a LSG 24x30 vertical offset yesterday. Damn this thread!

THoey1963
01-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Walrus, let me be the one to throw this out there. If you check my posts, you sound a lot like me two years ago. I'd bought a 22.5" WSM, learned enough here to be dangerous, had friends and family loving my BBQ. I was starting to cook for others every time I fired the WSM up, it started getting a little crowded. If I was going to go bigger, I was going to go BIG, and I was going to make the final step up and be a true stick burner. Ordered the big LSG Vertical Offset and then sat back and waited. Finally got the call, took the day off, got a trailer, drove down to pick her up. Man she was beautiful. Got her home and had a couple (7) friends help me get her to the back yard.

Fired her up, it was different than the WSM, but I was a stick burner now and loved it. For the first several cooks. But constantly tending a fire started irritating me. I still had the WSM, so I started using it more than the LSG. It was just too big and too much work. I work from home a lot, so it was easy to take 15 minutes and set up the WSM, throw some ribs on her, and 4 hours later dinner was done. It finally got to the point that the LSG had sat for a couple months without a fire in her and I realized I had made a mistake. It took some more time, but I found a buyer for it (at a loss), then worked out trying to ship this beast to him (at another loss). I ended up ordering the large Insulated cabinet from LSG, and have been a happy camper since. It's like a WSM, just much BIGGER.

I am not trying to talk you out of getting a stick burner, just make sure you know what you are getting into and that is what you really want...

barbeque nut
01-06-2017, 08:06 PM
I've got a Lang 84 and love it.

Inthewoods
01-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Good post by THoey.

-D