PDA

View Full Version : Turkey injection question....

Plaid Palace
12-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Turkey recipe calls for a butter/beer injection. This recipe says to let cool but I think it means for just a few minutes. Would it be ok to let this injection set aside for few hours before injecting or using?

I've got a small window of time to cook the turkey due to family Christmas obligations so making this ahead of time would be a big help.

I guess if it didn't matter I could go ahead and inject this bird a few hours before going on the grill.

Any reason either of these won't work? I'm worried the injection might firm up if you let it set too long.

IamMadMan
12-24-2016, 03:50 PM
You have it covered......

I would think a few hours to get to room temperature would be fine. You can always gently warm the injection if you need to.

I use Cajun Butter injection at room temperature all the time and let the bird sit until I am ready to take it to the cooker..

Plaid Palace
12-24-2016, 04:24 PM
You have it covered......

I would think a few hours to get to room temperature would be fine. You can always gently warm the injection if you need to.

I use Cajun Butter injection at room temperature all the time and let the bird sit until I am ready to take it to the cooker..

So should I make the injection and let it sit for a few hours or go ahead and inject the bird several hours before cook?

Sounds like what you may be saying is either one will work.

yakdung
12-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Make the injection brew, and then pour into a mason jar. Set mason jar into a shallow bowl
and surround with ice cubes until cool to the touch.

cueball21
12-24-2016, 07:55 PM
I would not put a warm injection mix into the bird unless I was about to put the bird under heat. I might be a nervous nellie, but I would not want to risk encouraging those bad organism that can crop up if you don't get from 40 to 140 (or lower for poultry, I think) within the appropriate period of time.

By way of explanation, I got a bad infection of streptococcus millerii about 5-1/2 years ago and spent almost 40 days in the hospital. They say I almost died. All I know is that for the first time in my 70 years there was a period of 8 days about which I have no recollection. Had to have blood transfusions because bacteria count got too high in my own blood. Suffered renal failure and was delusional for awhile. I now have a compromised immune system and take penicillin morning and night and will until I die. All of that caused by an unusually large colony of a bacteria that is as common as dirt. So, "No!" I would not push the envelope, especially with poultry.

steelarz47
12-25-2016, 06:59 AM
How To Make Injected and Smoked Turkey That Will Make People Cry and Beg for More! - YouTube

killer turkey made several already.