PDA

View Full Version : Brethren with larger smokers, how much wood???

JimmyR1Rider
12-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Bbq freaks thread about smokers being too big pushed me over the edge to ask even though ive been wondering since I got my Shirley.

My Shirley is my first big pit so I have nothing to compare to to know if I just have to work on my fire management skills (highly possible and probably the case) or if it's just that it's a big a$$ smoker and is hungry for wood. It takes me about 5 splits to get it up to temp and I then average 3 splits or so an hour once it's up to temp to maintain.

The smoker is large - 3075 so I don't know like I said if it's me lacking or that the large chamber just eats wood.

Doog
12-21-2016, 09:19 PM
That's a lot of metal to heat in the winter. On a 15 degree day I use about twice as much wood as I do in the summer. I have about a 1000 Arces I can cut wood on so it's no big deal.

BBQ Freak
12-21-2016, 09:29 PM
my 24 X 60 takes four pop can size splits on start up and one to two splits every hour depending on what temp I am maintaining and that is probably about right for the pit size you have . I was not complaining about wood consumption since I get wood cheap but just for me I could of got a smaller one built taller with a elevated cabinet that would suit my needs better and still get the job done with my catering and home use . :mrgreen:

pjtexas1
12-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Mine uses slightly less wood than freak's. Especially at startup. I use about the same as my old Uninsulated 20x36 offset. I think the insulated fb and the taller/shorter cook chamber work to save fuel.

lankster35
12-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Wood is cheap compared to that Shirley :) Feed it when it is hungry.......

JimmyR1Rider
12-21-2016, 10:32 PM
Wood is cheap compared to that Shirley :) Feed it when it is hungry.......

Oh I do, I just want to make sure not to spoil it ;-)

JimmyR1Rider
12-21-2016, 10:34 PM
my 24 X 60 takes four pop can size splits on start up and one to two splits every hour depending on what temp I am maintaining and that is probably about right for the pit size you have . I was not complaining about wood consumption since I get wood cheap but just for me I could of got a smaller one built taller with a elevated cabinet that would suit my needs better and still get the job done with my catering and home use . :mrgreen:

No, I didn't take it as you complaining. I just have been wondering since having the Shirley about the amount that of wood it SHOULD need. I have literally nothing to compare it to.

revkab
12-21-2016, 10:40 PM
It's about the food, not about the wood consumed. You spent way more than the food would ever cost to buy at the local BBQ joint. Why worry about a little extra cost for the wood? The normal amount of wood required for your rig is exactly the amount it takes to do the cook. No more, no less. Just worry about making that thing put out the best-tasting, thin blue smoke possible. When that happens, you have the perfect amount of wood.

BBQ Freak
12-21-2016, 11:13 PM
No, I didn't take it as you complaining. I just have been wondering since habing the Shorey about the amount that of wood it SHOULD need. I have literally nothing to compare it to.

that big of pit I would be happy with what wood your using , other pits are not as efficient as the Shirley's .

triplezip
12-21-2016, 11:40 PM
Lang 84D owner here. Never had a regret on going for the 84 over the 60, and I fill it up more often than not. It consumes about as much wood as you noted for your Shirley, more so in the winter months. I'm over the wood consumption issue at this point, just enjoying the peaceful experience of twilight fire management and the superior product it delivers.

JimmyR1Rider
12-22-2016, 02:18 AM
It's about the food, not about the wood consumed. You spent way more than the food would ever cost to buy at the local BBQ joint. Why worry about a little extra cost for the wood? The normal amount of wood required for your rig is exactly the amount it takes to do the cook. No more, no less. Just worry about making that thing put out the best-tasting, thin blue smoke possible. When that happens, you have the perfect amount of wood.

that big of pit I would be happy with what wood your using , other pits are not as efficient as the Shirley's .

Lang 84D owner here. Never had a regret on going for the 84 over the 60, and I fill it up more often than not. It consumes about as much wood as you noted for your Shirley, more so in the winter months. I'm over the wood consumption issue at this point, just enjoying the peaceful experience of twilight fire management and the superior product it delivers.

Thanks for the input guys.

Let me just put it out there. I could care less about the amount of wood I need to use to do my cooks.

The point in the thread was I was wanting to make sure it wasn't just me not being efficient in fire management. I never had a problem putting some money into anything, as long as I wasn't being completely wasteful. I didn't want to bother guys through pm''s so I started a thread to ask. If I'm wondering I'm sure others with large pits may also be. Now that I have had some guys with experience with larger pits I'm happy with my 3 to 4 splits an hour in October and 4 to 5 maybe more in the real lower temps.

Looking forward to seeing what I get out of the wood in the warm seasons.

ebijack
12-22-2016, 04:26 AM
Size of splits makes a difference. Both in length and width of split. Your Shirley can handle larger splits. Which allows longer times between adding splits. Type of wood, burn time also gets thrown into the mix.
I do not own a trailer smoker. But typically when we are doing large cooks we have more than one brand and size trailer smoker going at the same time. That is when you can really notice a difference in time when adding spits using the same wood pile. Some smokers you burn alot more wood if the splits were not processed for said smoker. If that makes sense. Alot has to do with the flow of the smoker also. And your Shirley has great flow.

Ayvatr
12-22-2016, 06:29 AM
Mine uses slightly less wood than freak's. Especially at startup. I use about the same as my old Uninsulated 20x36 offset. I think the insulated fb and the taller/shorter cook chamber work to save fuel.

My consumption of splits is similar to PJ's with the insulated FB.....

JohnnyB
12-22-2016, 10:36 AM
As long as you are not leaking smoke and heat from the doors, you are literally as efficient as humanly possible. Whatever it needs is directly proportionate to the amount of steel that's loaded into that bad larry. I hear you though, it's always nice to know you aren't wasting anything.