PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon roast gravy

Jetwash
12-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Ok, there is no doubt that a standing rib roast done on in the pit is the best, but my question is the gravy. From past experiences I've not had enough drippings to create lots of gravy. Let me preface this by saying my family are gravy hogs, and require scads of it.
I'm trying to find a recipe for beef gravy made from a roast on the grill.

Thanks
Jim

smoke ninja
12-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Maybe if you remove the bones and simmer in a stockpot or pan. Place it under roast to catch more and add aromatics

mattmountz94
12-21-2016, 05:56 PM
I usually use the drippings and enough beef stock (out of box) to get 4cups of liquid. Then make a real dark roux and add stock until thick. Season with salt and pepper

DanQuixote
12-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Takes some time and will power, but if you have a butcher that will saw beef bones for you.....get a bucket full and roast the marrow....use this as a stock base with celery,carrots,onions, and a sachet of herbs de provence....makes a wonderful au jus.

ModelMaker
12-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Just smoked a 12 lb prime rib roast and had a foil pan under the meat the whole time.
Maybe had 1/4 cup of drippings, not enough to even fool with.
The roast loss 2 3/4 lbs during the cook.
Ed

cowgirl
12-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Ok, there is no doubt that a standing rib roast done on in the pit is the best, but my question is the gravy. From past experiences I've not had enough drippings to create lots of gravy. Let me preface this by saying my family are gravy hogs, and require scads of it.
I'm trying to find a recipe for beef gravy made from a roast on the grill.

Thanks
Jim

If I'm making gravy from a roast on the grill, I do like Matt does. Add beef stock to the drippings.