PDA

View Full Version : Char griller AKORN Kamado?

tenpenny_05
12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Does anybody have any input on these? The pop up on craigslist all the time for around $100. I'm sure they aren't close to the quality of other Kamados, but are they worth $100 for somebody curious about ceramic cookers?

mjpmap
12-19-2016, 10:07 AM
The Akorn is a great cooker. If you can get one in good shape for $100, that's a good deal. It is a good way to determine if you want to invest in one of the high end ceramics.

greenmountainsmoke
12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Just got mine and did my first cook over the weekend. I don't have any real data on it yet, but I like how it holds heat, how the temps react, how little charcoal it uses, how easy it is to use. I have been waiting to do some longer cooks (I have a COS and doing a shoulder/brisket was too much to even consider), and feel like this will allow me to jump into that world.

Single Malt Slacker
12-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I've had one for a couple of years and love it. There is a learning curve to kamado style cooking but you can turn out quality stuff without having to babysit a fire all day long. I like the idea of an offset and tending the fire but don't make time for it at this point in my life. Anyway, I would suggest getting an Akorn at $100, if in good condition. You can do some searches on this forum and find many folks who like them and turn out good Q. Lots of good tips out there too.

Baby Back Maniac
12-19-2016, 11:23 AM
yes, it's worth it. Make sure the clip that holds the ash catcher on is in good shape. It won't last forever but it's a great starter kamado.

toymaster
12-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Ditto what everyone else said. It is a great little cooker and that's a really good price if it's in good shape. It's not ceramic but it is a good intro to learning how to cook on one. I'd pull the trigger if I could get a second one that cheap.

BigBobBQ
12-19-2016, 12:05 PM
I have one that I use regularly, I keep it covered when not in use, it is 4 years old and looks as good now as it did new. Keep it from getting wet and they will last for years. Very easy to use an extremely versatile.

The Guy
12-19-2016, 12:22 PM
I have one and live it. From what I've read the ash pan is susceptible to rust so if buying used I would pay extra attention to that area when checking it out.

BigBobBQ
12-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Yes check the ash pan and bottom for rust, if left outside in the rain water gets in the top and somehow leaks down inside between the walls and settles in the bottom. That is why I keep mine covered when not in use.

AZRaptor
12-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Great cooker! $100 for a good condition one is a great price

eap0510
12-19-2016, 01:51 PM
I have had one now for at least 5 years and love it. This is the cooker that I recommend to anyone thinking about getting into smoking meats due to the versatility.
Even if you decide not to use it as a smoker it makes a nice grill as well.

-Eric

tenpenny_05
12-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the input guys. If they aren't ceramic. What are they?

The Guy
12-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Double walled metal with insulation between the walls

Single Malt Slacker
12-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Two layers of steel with insulation in between. Much lighter than ceramic kamado cookers.

greenmountainsmoke
12-19-2016, 02:11 PM
That is a good point to consider. I pivoted my out of my garage and around with little to no effort. Not sure what that is for a ceramic, but would imagine they are much tougher to move being hundreds of pounds.

morgan-que
12-19-2016, 02:48 PM
I have had mine for over 3 years now and have no regrets. the learning curve is not that bad and no need for any mods other than the weber grate and a pizza stone as my deflector. as mentioned make sure to keep out of the rain.

yakdung
12-19-2016, 05:52 PM
I own two. White foam is used as a cheap insulating material. If you are considering one to last many many years, look elsewhere.

Decoy205
12-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Love mine it is very versatile. I use mainly for chicken and pizza.

gtsum
12-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Neighbor has one and it comes up to temps very quickly...faster than my primo for sure. Leaving outside you can see the wear on them after two years, but hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smith's Pig Pen
12-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Can't go wrong for the money. Had ours going on 4 years. Got a cover but it's been hit by rain several times and still fine. It's given me insight into kamado cooking...and I like it. The Akorn doesn't have the high end fits and finishes of the others but there's been nothing I can't cook on it, doesn't leak, no gasket drama, cracks, etc. Overall, chicken and such comes out more tender than my old kettle and I use much less fuel. Had a gasser too, but it's gone baby. Drop a little lump in with a Weber starter cube, open the vents, lock the lid and I'm cookin in 20 minutes. Spent $49 on the smoking stone/platesetter accessory and it's been a solid, turnkey little cooker.

Also, I've been able to eyeball all the other products with a more experienced eye instead of guessing what's better between Primo vs Egg and others.

Hope this helps

Funky D
12-20-2016, 09:57 AM
I cannot speak highly enough of the Akorn. We've used them both at home, and our competition team for over 7 years now, and I still have my original (it even survived an up-ending after a collision with a drunken golf-carter).

Unbelievable cooker. I have several friends with the BGE, and I can't see the slightest difference in performance/taste. The Akorn is right between the sizes of the Large Egg, and the XL. We love them so much that when they go on sale (we just saw them for $200 new this shopping season), we bought an extra to sit in the box, just as an emergency backup. It would not be unheard of for a company to discontinue the model, make a couple minor changes, then double the price.

The only disadvantage we can say about it is, it's just a little too small to fit a full packer brisket. Folding over is fine for home, but for competition, that's still the realm of the stick burner.

If I saw one for $100 in even decent condition anywhere around here, I'd be on it like a pack of wild dogs on a 3-legged cat.