PDA

View Full Version : How long is cryovacced brisket good for?

QandBrew
12-16-2016, 08:45 AM
My neighbor is a caterer and he gave me a cryovacced packer from Gordons Food Service. Between being gone for work and crappy weather, I've had it for three weeks without being able to smoke it. Just curious on the shelf life of cryovacced beef. He seemed to think it would be good for a month or two. Thoughts?

akoda
12-16-2016, 08:51 AM
If it was fresh when he got it you should be good, assuming reliable refrigeration. I routinely age mine for a month in my fridge. When you open it trust your nose.

Dr_No
12-16-2016, 09:19 AM
The sell/use by date was on the box which you probably don't have. In most cases you can exceed that date by several weeks.

Even then I wouldn't say it's bad because many Brethren here keep the package longer in an effort to "wet-age" the beef. The enzymes begin to breakdown the fibers and will leave a slightly tangy (sour) flavor to the beef. This is not bad beef, so don't jump to conclusions too quickly, your nose will tell you if it's spoiled or not.

The main issue of concern would be if it was refrigerated the whole time which I assume would be fine in this case if he is a caterer...

Keep us posted

-@No

QandBrew
12-16-2016, 09:29 AM
I talked to the wife and she said its been more like a month that we've had it. Im considering doing it for Christmas Eve since Ive had it this long. That would put it closer to 6 weeks Im considering freezing it until then but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't freezing something that I couldn't eat.

akoda
12-16-2016, 10:19 AM
This sounds like a good plan

I talked to the wife and she said its been more like a month that we've had it. Im considering doing it for Christmas Eve since Ive had it this long. That would put it closer to 6 weeks Im considering freezing it until then but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't freezing something that I couldn't eat.

sleebus.jones
12-16-2016, 10:20 AM
As others have said, you can't really tell until you smell.

Ayvatr
12-16-2016, 11:05 AM
This might be the best brisket you ever cooked! Please keep us posted on the wet aged brisket cook.

batboy
12-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Thread hijack - how about a cryovacced frozen brisket? Just found one hiding in the bottom of my chest freezer that's going on 2 years old. I can guaranty that it's been frozen solid the entire time.

JS-TX
12-16-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm in the same boat. I usually wet age for about a month but somehow I got one that went about 5-6 weeks. I threw it in the freezer knowing it was going to be a while longer before I got around to smoking it. It's defrosting now in the fridge for a Sunday cook.. I sure hope I didn't let it go too long. Good luck!

JS-TX
12-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Thread hijack - how about a cryovacced frozen brisket? Just found one hiding in the bottom of my chest freezer that's going on 2 years old. I can guaranty that it's been frozen solid the entire time.

Might be ok, but I'd be concerned about freezer burn. Only 1 way to find out.. good luck!

Burnt at Both Endz
12-16-2016, 12:34 PM

It really depends on the freezer and if it's Cryo has been ruptured. If you have a chest freezer that doesn't go through defrost cycles and you have it really cold? You don't put a lot of warm meat in the freezer? The cryo hasn't had frozen meat dropped on it?

It may be as good as the day you froze it, or close anyways.

BBQchef33
12-16-2016, 12:40 PM
ive gone as long as 5 weeks.. your nose is best judge.. when you open it.. get rid of the cryovac packaging FAR AWAY, preferbly outside, so it doesnt influence the air in room.. :) Rinse the beef off well, dry it, let it sit in the open for about 5-10 minutes.. then go back and check.. if the room stinks, throw it out and open a window.. if the room is good, stick your nose up to it and inhale. If theres no smell, or just a condensed beef smell, you have a well aged brisket.. if your nose wrinkles up, you unconsciously yell yuk, or you barf.. Throw it out.

QandBrew
12-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. If I cant cook it this weekend its going in the freezer. I will throw up a post when it does get cooked. That is unless, as BBQChef33 put it, I "barf" when I open it. :grin:

BBQchef33
12-16-2016, 04:09 PM
one more thing.

When you first open it, it most likely will smell. Dont judge just yet. Wet aging does that and ive opened up some pretty ripe beef after wet aging that turned out to be awesome..

Thats why i say get rid of the cryo out of the room, because it may continue to reek. After the rinse and rest, all you should smell on it is a strong beefy flavor.

IamMadMan
12-16-2016, 10:44 PM

I agree, if the package is still intact, there will be no freezer burn. When I broke my shoulder, I had stuff get lost in the back of the freezer for 2 years or more. It was all fine, no off colors, no off taste, no funky smell.

BBQchef33
12-16-2016, 10:52 PM
if its solid frozen and the cryo is still tight, its probably useable, but i woudnt expect stellar flavor..

Cells start breaking down eventually. A large, well wrapped cut will, after a year have a significant decline in quality. Shorter for smaller cuts. steaks 6-12 months, chicken 3-6.. etc..