PDA

View Full Version : A quality brisket - trashed

BBQ Bandit
12-14-2016, 06:35 AM
Dear Brethren,

Its been a while - but had to post and admit one of those 'better to be safe than sorry' stories. Was tasked to generate a contribution to a pot luck at work. OK... its is that time for another batch of my smoked brisket chili with ghost peppers.

Had all the ingredients, equipment, and time - a 12 hour job.

Had the brisket on since 8 pm last night running hot and fast.
Came off beautifully probe tender at 4:30 am. Wrapped and rested.

About to start on the chili ... was cleaning up and putting things away... and noticed the openings to the beef broth containers just used previously. Both foil anti-tamper seals were broke. During the o-dark 30 time period - don't recollect puncturing the seals. Each seal were pressed inward... not pierced by my normal method with a knife.

The brisket was resting with that broth... crap.

Double crap. :doh::doh:

Since I cannot determine the Quality Control and possible contamination of said broth (already on the brisket).... had to dump and trash the entire idea after I calmed down after a frustrating rant - at 5:30 am.

Better to lose a little time and money than to possibly endanger the welfare, hospital bills, and worse... of fellow coworkers.

SmokerKing
12-14-2016, 06:45 AM
hot and fast 12 hours?

Smokey Lonesome
12-14-2016, 06:49 AM
An ego can recover but a conscience not so. You made the right call. If anyone became ill or worse you would have never forgiven yourself.

Ayvatr
12-14-2016, 06:51 AM
Sorry about the misfortune with the broth. I had the same experience with box o broth last year purchased from the local Wally World. I now check the tamper cap on this stuff when I buy it.

16Adams
12-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Good for you. Better safe than way to sorry. I spent 4-5 hours in an ER with food borne illness. Not a great time.

On a side note when our broth brand went from pull tab to screw off lid I nearly tossed a pot of stew/soup. It unseals as you twist the lid now. Wife caught me and told me it's normal.

Evil-g
12-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Bummer, if it was a box container the newer ones break the seal when you twist the cap off. Only if the tamper evident ring was broken beforehand should you not use. You should feel some resistance when opening but the seal breaks automatically.

defib
12-14-2016, 07:09 AM
I had a bout of food poisoning last year. My 5 hour ER visit was just over $7,000 dollars before insurance. I look at it this way when ever I have doubts about anything in the fridge or if I'm prepping. I would rather throw away even 100 or more dollars worth of meat than risk serious illness.

You did good, you could probably feed it to the dogs.

BBQ Bandit
12-14-2016, 07:32 AM
hot and fast 12 hours?

Yes... factor in 8 hour smoke, 2 hour rest, prepping the brisket for chilt and cooking chili afterwards.

Timing was to allow initial chili cook and simmer until lunchtime

JohnnyB
12-14-2016, 07:34 AM
Sucks to lose that much time and materials, but definitely a good call. I don't think to check things like that before I buy them, now I will.

SmokerKing
12-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Yes... factor in 8 hour smoke, 2 hour rest, prepping the brisket for chilt and cooking chili afterwards.

Timing was to allow initial chili cook and simmer until lunchtime

aahhh......:doh: :biggrin1:

Ayvatr
12-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Good for you. Better safe than way to sorry. I spent 4-5 hours in an ER with food borne illness. Not a great time.

On a side note when our broth brand went from pull tab to screw off lid I nearly tossed a pot of stew/soup. It unseals as you twist the lid now. Wife caught me and told me it's normal.

Yea, my wife educated me about this too!

Bigbears BBQ
12-14-2016, 08:04 AM
Better safe than sorry, you definitely did the right thing

aawa
12-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Check the beef broth lids. A lot of the companies are moving to screw tops that will break the seal. The way to tell is if the cap has large fins in them that would go to the level of the plastic seal.

I almost freaked out one day because I opened a veggie stock and I noticed the jagged edges of the seal. I happen to look at the cap in my hand and noticed that the cap had fins on the underside and in the fins was the plastic seal.

Mikhail
12-14-2016, 09:08 AM
hot and fast 12 hours?

Never mind. I see this was already answered.

gtr
12-14-2016, 10:08 AM
When in doubt, throw it out! Better to be a little frustrated now than to be "that guy" for the rest of your days. You did the right thing IMO.

Good to see you!

bigdog10
12-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Good call you never know. it is to bad though sorry...

toymaster
12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
I feel your pain. You did the right thing :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:. Still hurts though...

Jason TQ
12-14-2016, 02:21 PM
Don't feel bad. Why they were technically not going to kill anyone my first 10 (or more) briskets were basically "trashed" simply by me cooking them :becky:.

hurricanedavid
12-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Sound decision,

DBBQ
12-14-2016, 08:35 PM
I know the feeling, dumped a couple SNR briskets last year when I still had my pellet grill and lost power during an overnight smoke. I always err on the side of caution.

McSpazatron
12-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Check the beef broth lids. A lot of the companies are moving to screw tops that will break the seal. The way to tell is if the cap has large fins in them that would go to the level of the plastic seal.

I almost freaked out one day because I opened a veggie stock and I noticed the jagged edges of the seal. I happen to look at the cap in my hand and noticed that the cap had fins on the underside and in the fins was the plastic seal.

Truly sucks, my condolences to the OP. I threw away some broth that came in the box for the exact same reason. Could not recall cracking the foil, so out it went. It was later, when I bought another box, that i realized there are all like that. Seriously bad human factors design. If people are used to cracking the foil themselves, they shouldnt go confusing the situation!