PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done a rack of venison?

T.Mac
12-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Thinking about trying this for Christmas dinner if any of my hunting buddies or I harvest another before then. Normally, I'd just grill the backstrap whole, but this sure looks good! If you've done this, how'd it turn out and was it worth the extra work?
The Ultimate Rack Of Venison.A Venison Guard Of Honour.Thescottreaproject - YouTube

Big George's BBQ
12-02-2016, 06:12 PM
I would PM Cowgirl

Teleking
12-02-2016, 07:42 PM
I thought this was going to be another rib question. That said I have never taken the time but I would imagine this cooked like lamb to rare-med rare would be fantastic. Give it a whirl

T.Mac
12-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I would PM Cowgirl

Thanks, George. You're absolutely right. If anyone has tried this it'll probably be cowgirl. I PM'ed her and pointed her to this thread.

I thought this was going to be another rib question. That said I have never taken the time but I would imagine this cooked like lamb to rare-med rare would be fantastic. Give it a whirl

Thanks, Teleking. My Dad found the video and asked if I'd be willing to do this cook for Christmas. Thought I'd better tap into the Brethren's vast Q knowledge and experience before committing to it.

RolandJT
12-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Never done it, but it looks festive.

Since deer racks/tenderloins need to be rare/ med rare and that may not be enough time for the stuffing, I would cheat by cooking the rack and the stuffing separately and assembling at the last minute.

legendaryhog
12-03-2016, 10:15 AM
No...but I may now. I usually cut out the backstraps (loin) and the ribs go to the coyotes. Looks interesting, I wonder if the bone marrow would get funky

Mikhail
12-03-2016, 10:48 AM
I have done a rack of red deer, farm raised, and it was fantastic. Did it for my Dad's birthday one year. If it is wild venison I would definitely brine it mightily.

gcs
12-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Too much work for me, but it IS pretty. :-D

T.Mac
12-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Good idea on the stuffing, Roland. I've never brined venison, but that's a thought, Mikhail. It does look like too much work, gcs, but as a Christmas request from my Dad, who's getting up there, I'm going to give it a shot if we manage to harvest another deer before then. Sure would look great on the Christmas dinner table!

mike243
12-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Grilled ribs from a yearling I got and they were great,put a pork rub on and didn't over cook,Hated I burned a tag on it but is mighty fine eating.267y shot and couldn't tell how young it was,they were not frozen before cooking.

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-07-2016, 06:05 AM
I have. Just grilled them like a rack of lamb. One of the best parts of the animal IMO.