PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Kettle Accessory?

TheHojo
11-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Just received an email on this device - bbqbot

http://www.bbqbot.net/home.php

Has anyone seen anything on this or have a thought on how this device might work?

Thank you

dwfisk
11-17-2016, 07:54 AM
Pretty interesting. The only downside I can imagine is controlling temp & smoke at the exhaust. On my kettles I like to control with the intake (exhaust usually wide open) to make sure I get a clean smoke but I'm guessing it is just a matter of getting used to how it cooks.

aawa
11-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Looks kind of neat. I'm interested to see the how exactly the bbqbot works and the price point.

I'm wondering at what temperature they are running a kettle at to get an 18hour burn time. At 325degrees I have gone 8ish hours using the snake method, not sure how they would increase burn time to 18 hours even at 225.

TheHojo
11-17-2016, 07:59 AM
Pretty interesting. The only downside I can imagine is controlling temp & smoke at the exhaust. On my kettles I like to control with the intake (exhaust usually wide open) to make sure I get a clean smoke but I'm guessing it is just a matter of getting used to how it cooks.

Agree - I currently use a heat shield for my kettle - control heat with intake and keep exhaust mostly wide open. Will be interesting to see if this comes to market and the price point.

Ray43050
11-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Not sure if it's the same but there is a product called Maverick Tip Top (http://www.yardandpool.com/maverick-tip-top-temp-grill-temperature-regulator) that regulates the temperature at the top vent. Several good reviews on that on Weber Kettle Club

tenpenny_05
11-17-2016, 08:27 AM
Its nothing a few fire bricks and some foil can't do...

Ron_L
11-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Looks kind of neat. I'm interested to see the how exactly the bbqbot works and the price point.

I'm wondering at what temperature they are running a kettle at to get an 18hour burn time. At 325degrees I have gone 8ish hours using the snake method, not sure how they would increase burn time to 18 hours even at 225.

This is my concern as well. I like to keep the exhaust open on any cooker.

I signed up for their mailing list, so we'll see how it progresses.

dadsr4
11-17-2016, 10:59 AM
It seems to measure temp at the vent, not at grate level, where it matters.
It also looks top-heavy, what keeps it on?
I, also, can't see 20 hour cooks. That much fuel would leave little room for meat, it would seem.
Seems like a solution looking for a problem. Weber provides instructions on how to control the temp on the kettle, if you bother to read them.

Jrogers84
11-17-2016, 11:27 AM
seems like it takes a bit of the fun out of it......

aawa
11-17-2016, 12:25 PM
seems like it takes a bit of the fun out of it......

Sometimes gadgets are a lot of fun!

Jrogers84
11-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Sometimes gadgets are a lot of fun!

ya but with this one you kinda hit a button and come back for dinner

guero_gordo
11-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Nothing like solving a problem I didn't have.

lastmajordude
11-17-2016, 04:32 PM
I like the cajun bandit kettle accessory...of COURSE it’s been discontinued.....any idea where to get one or similar with the big door.???

effinUker
11-17-2016, 07:00 PM
snake oil.

the best way to get good food off your kettle is learn how to use the dang thing. i can set mine and the temp rides right where i need it to until my food is done.

Teleking
11-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Ahh ha ha ha! Any BBQ expert will tell you how hard it is. I'll take 3, one for each kettle. Oh wait 2 kettles were free and so were the fire bricks. And the UDS only cost$30 to build.

STLBBQer
11-17-2016, 09:20 PM
No damn robot is going to touch my grill! Next thing you know, he's driving your car, watching TV in your favorite recliner. No way...not in my house robot.

pjtexas1
11-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Not sure if it's the same but there is a product called Maverick Tip Top (http://www.yardandpool.com/maverick-tip-top-temp-grill-temperature-regulator) that regulates the temperature at the top vent. Several good reviews on that on Weber Kettle Club

My first thought too. I have one and it works.