PDA

View Full Version : Pellet grills

bucko
11-16-2016, 08:53 AM
I know there is a big craze about pellet grills these days and about 90 percent of the people who have them say not enough smoke flavor and want to know how can I get more smoke flavor what else should I buy to put in my smoker to get more smoke I can't understand how someone invents a pellet grill that burns wood pellets and people say not enough smoke flavor I'm confused I never have used one but alot of peoples reviews I read say the same thing I guess what I'm trying to get at is why cant someone who invents a smoker that burns only wood pellets come up with a way so there pellet grill actually gives meat a good smokey flavor never heard any one say my pellet smoker puts out too much smoke

Blanton
11-16-2016, 09:47 AM
I guess what I'm trying to get at is why cant someone who invents a smoker that burns only wood pellets come up with a way so there pellet grill actually gives meat a good smokey flavor never heard any one say my pellet smoker puts out too much smoke

They did and their name is Yoder.

rwalters
11-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Are your . & , keys not working? ;-)

Yes, pellet poopers are definitely known for a lighter smoke profile. I have a MAK, and love it for certain items. With that said, when I want true, deep, smokey BBQ'd meats...it's all about a lump charcoal and/or wood fire. Nuthin' compares :-)

Yendor
11-16-2016, 11:19 AM
It's the nature of the beast. Wood pellets are not splits. Pellet poopers don't have dampers to control air flow. They are two different things with regards to how the combustion is controlled. A smoldering pellet creates little heat so you have to add more air to get more heat but that eliminates the level of smoke.

bucko
11-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Yes my commas and period keys work it's just that I'm not too well edumacked and not well schooled on that kind of stuff thanks for informing me about my punctuations I'll try better not to run all my words together sorry and thanks

rwalters
11-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Yes my commas and period keys work it's just that I'm not too well edumacked and not well schooled on that kind of stuff thanks for informing me about my punctuations I'll try better not to run all my words together sorry and thanks

Just messing with you buddy :-)

checkrd past
11-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Love my Jim Bowie, for more smoke , add an amazing tube

Yendor
11-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Well, I don't know about all that. I made a turkey for my groups marijuana/good fortune (pot luck) meal today on my GMG Daniel Boone and everyone is raving about how smokey and tasty it is. So keep that in mind, just because it may have less smoke doesn't mean it tastes bad.

pigville porkers
11-16-2016, 01:01 PM
I love my rec tec.. you have to remember that the pellet grill is not the same as a stick burner and again not the same as my cabinet smoker.. It is all preference and just another tool in the shed.

Whisky
11-16-2016, 01:33 PM
I have a Yoder and didn't like the lack of smoke at first. But now I've gotten more used to it and like it. I use a smoker tube always for additional smoke....and I still use my Egg when I want more smoke yet.. I've grown to love the convenience of the Yoder.

bbqwizard
11-16-2016, 11:45 PM
I grew up cooking on a cinder pit, stick burning, and charcoal. About 14 years ago I had the pleasure of eating food cooked from a pellet cooker, and I have been cooking on one ever since. I love the flavor profile and in my opinion, it puts the right amount of smoke on the food. I still cook on other types periodically, but when given the chance, my cooker of choice uses a different form of would stick.

NCGrimbo
11-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Until you've actually used a pellet pooper, you shouldn't assume it doesn't give you enough smoke. I must be in your 10% since I find the smoke level that my Yoder puts out is just right for my taste. On the rare occasion that I want more smoke, I'll use a amazing tube to get more.

One other thing to consider is the pellets used. Some brands produce more smoke flavor than other brands.

QDoc
11-17-2016, 08:47 AM
amazin smoker tube.

chrischandler71
11-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I have an amazing tube smoker, but have only used it for cold smoking bacon. I find the smoke flavor of my Yoder perfect for my liking!

thunderalley3
11-17-2016, 08:59 AM
As mentioned there are a number of variences. I have a Yoder , same as a previous poster, produces great smoke, I just got a new Backwoods pellet, have only cooked on it once but seems to do well on the smoke also. I also have a GMG, not quite as powerful on the smoke as the other two put also is 1/4 the $$$, I use it when I want something to throw in the camper and not worry about it being damaged or stolen.

As mentioned, pellets are a big factor, not only in the amount of smoke that is produced but in the length of cook per pound.

I am gathering you want it as a "smoker", I think they are great in that aspect, now if you want a grill for steaks, hamburgers and hot dogs, I never use mine for that, I break out my BGE and some good hardwood lump.

Obieone
11-17-2016, 12:15 PM
My Green Mountain grill gives plenty of smoke.
I've cooked two 16 lbs briskets with an added stacker grill.
Came out perfect!