PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Temps for 3-2-1 BB

electron_si
11-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Before I get asked yes I did a search. I'm having inconsistent results on my ribs using the same method every time.

I'm wondering what temps people are running on Pellet Poopers for 3-2-1 baby backs. I've seen a lot of people that say they only do 2-2-1 for BB's but the last time I tried that they were underdone.

I typically do 3-2-1 on my traeger at 225 (the whole time) but I get mixed results, sometimes they are a little too mushy, sometimes they are just right with a little bit of bone pull. I haven't been looking at my rib weights because I buy the 3 pack from Sam's and they are typically $23-25 I think at $2.99/lb.

Should I try to select the same rib weights every time and then adjust foil times to get more consistent results. When I foil I do the butter, honey, brown sugar method and double foil. I try not to stack the racks when they go back on.

aawa
11-07-2016, 10:55 AM
3-2-1 was developed for full slab of spares cooked at 225 degrees and even then it is a guideline.

You want to go by feel of ribs to test for doneness. Here is how I do my ribs.

1st. Cook ribs on rack until you develop the color and bark you want. Wrap when the bark is fully developed and the color isn't quite as dark as you want. At 225 this will take about 2-3 hours for baby backs.

2nd. Wrap for an amount of time with any wrapping liquid and flavorings you want. With baby backs cooking at 225, I would go about 1.5-2 hours.

3rd. Unwrap and cook to allow the bark to harden. Touch up with some rub if you like as well. Cook until you pass the bend test/tooth pick test. This will be anywhere from 30mins to 1.5 hours at 225. It all depends on how much they cooked during the wrapping process. If you like a sauce or a glaze add it to the meat and then place back on the cooker for 10-15mins till the sauce/glaze is set.

electron_si
11-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Is the weight of the ribs the reason why I get different levels of tenderness using the same time and temp every time?

I typically don't pull them from the foil until 2 hours because I didn't think I could re-wrap them once they come out since it makes a huge mess.

aawa
11-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Is the weight of the ribs the reason why I get different levels of tenderness using the same time and temp every time?

I typically don't pull them from the foil until 2 hours because I didn't think I could re-wrap them once they come out since it makes a huge mess.

Each piece of meat is different, which is why times will vary some. They vary in weight and how much interconnective tissue there is. A 3lb rack from 1 pig will cook at a little bit of varying time of a 3lb rack from another pig.

What I do with the racks that I do wrap. I'll drain the liquid out of the foil, and then create a boat around the ribs. This keeps the mess in the cooker down to a minimum.

Picture taken from http://howtobbqright.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/KoreanSpareRibs13_640.jpg
http://howtobbqright.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/KoreanSpareRibs13_640.jpg

ChrisBarb
11-07-2016, 11:42 AM
BB should be 2-2-1 @225 degrees.

Victory
11-07-2016, 12:18 PM
baby backs I prefer 300-325 for about 3 hours, unwrapped the entire cook.

boggie
11-07-2016, 12:22 PM
I am pretty green with my pellet smoker but I lucked out yesterday and cooked some real good baby backs. These were bigger than some I have cooked before. Smoked 2 hours on smoke setting then went to 225 . After 2 hours they were at 150 internal temp so I went to 250 in the smoker for 2 more hours. My thermometer died so I know what temp they ended up. They were not wrapped or sauced. Good and tender and moist

electron_si
11-07-2016, 02:57 PM
I realized I posted baby backs but I guess at 3 lbs a rack what I'm buying are actually loin backs which is why they aren't getting overdone with 3-2-1

S.Six
11-11-2016, 07:23 AM
I cook at 275° 2-1-.25hrs for BB works for me.