PDA

View Full Version : I'm no Saint- but I can't do it- Brisket &

16Adams
10-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Brisket and Karma. You'd think a person would load up the shopping carts-freezer- ask meat manager for a case etc. I never do. Maybe it's the middle child syndrome, learned to share up and down-or BBQ Privilege- who knows? I just figure someone else needs to smile I took only one, this one is mine. There are more. Walmart 45th & Coulter in Amarillo. Someone else is going to smile. And Karma will leave me alone.

I'm normal though. My only mission at Walmart was cottage cheese and bacon.

Stlsportster
10-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Passed up a couple of those at the Wally World in STL last week. My reasons were far less noble than yours.....

16Adams
10-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Processed and packaged by Excel-Canada. I've never once had a bad packer brisket from Walmart Sams etc. Although I have passed over several that looked like skateboards. I've always wanted to just square the sides an inch, take an inch off the point and square up the flat (this ones pretty uniform anyway)

Then just diamond score the fat cap- maybe knock out the hard fat between flat and point-season and cook. Maybe a two minute trim. We usually just chop and mix it all together anyway.

I've got one bag of Ozark Oak coals remaining. This cook will deplete the Ozark Oak cache.

frognot
10-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Freezer space is my main inhibitor.

Jrogers84
10-27-2016, 01:59 PM
At kroger they have "manager special" meat that is set to expire in a day or 2. I usually cook for football sundays, have for years. Once had a friend say "Im not sure I could eat that. It just scares me" My response was " Sorry to break it you bud but youve been eating that meat for years...."

pjtexas1
10-27-2016, 04:00 PM
i stocked up once at $1.77/lb and got sick of brisket. cooking one every other weekend for months was not a good idea.

tubby384
10-27-2016, 04:13 PM
At kroger they have "manager special" meat that is set to expire in a day or 2. I usually cook for football sundays, have for years. Once had a friend say "Im not sure I could eat that. It just scares me" My response was " Sorry to break it you bud but youve been eating that meat for years...."

Rofl...I have a friend that is squimish about eating meat that are marked down. I just smoke or grill it and he doesn't know the difference, certain people you have to treat them on the need to know basis.:wink:

ooootis
10-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Hate to say this but that is a good price. Giant here in Md just had a sale a few weeks back and I had to get 4. Briskets used to be 29/Lbs cents when I first figured out they where yummy. LOL

Decoy205
10-27-2016, 05:57 PM
You would at that price up here! We never get those prices on beef.

cowgirl
10-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Nice score Adams!
United has a sale on briskets this week, not super cheap but under 3 bucks per lb..