PDA

View Full Version : Building A Drum Cooker

Piedmont
01-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I am going to build my second barrel/drum cooker. The first one was a horizontal cooker/grill. This one will be a vertical cooker as has been much discussed here.

I have seen where others have placed air intake and vent holes but ended up plugging most of them it seems. What I'm looking for is vent hole size, placement and quantity suggestions.

Is there any consensus here, after the many drum cookers having been made about how many holes go in bottom and how many holes go in top and what size to make if I want a cooking temp to run on average of 250 F.?

Bigmista
01-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I am going to build my second barrel/drum cooker. The first one was a horizontal cooker/grill. This one will be a vertical cooker as has been much discussed here.

I have seen where others have placed air intake and vent holes but ended up plugging most of them it seems. What I'm looking for is vent hole size, placement and quantity suggestions.

Is there any consensus here, after the many drum cookers having been made about how many holes go in bottom and how many holes go in top and what size to make if I want a cooking temp to run on average of 250 F.?

4 evenly spaced holes at the top. The bottom is still out for discussion...

Napper
01-26-2007, 10:04 PM
four on the bottom, 90 degrees from each other, 7/8" diameter. Plug with conduit plugs or stoppers.
Good for anything from 180 to 350 degrees!

put a 1/2" pipe nipple in one of them for fine tuning.