PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Smokers

bram03
10-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Quick questions for those who know better...

Why is it whenever I have Q from a pellet smoker the bark always leaves something to be desired (as opposed to a stick burner). It was the deciding factor in me not getting one...

Does anyone else have this issue running their pellet rig?

Groundhog66
10-20-2016, 11:43 AM
I've always gotten a good bark when cooking on my MAK, perhaps it has been operator error? now if you are talking smoke flavor, then yeah, no comparison.

bbqwizard
10-20-2016, 11:58 AM
I have never had an issue with bark using any of my pellet cookers. what is it about your bark that you aren't liking?

chrischandler71
10-20-2016, 12:13 PM
I am fairly new to my Yoder 640, so I am still trying to learn it. I will say my bark is different from my other cookers. My Backwoods chubby produces a really dark bark, and when I remove butt from grates it wants to fall apart. My Yoder has more of a red bark color, and I have yet to get a butt to just come apart even though I am pulling at about same IT 198*.

chrischandler71
10-20-2016, 12:16 PM
I have only done 2 butts so far on it though. I plan to do 3 butts and a brisket this weekend and I am going to pull butts when bone wiggles instead of an IT.

Jorge
10-20-2016, 12:28 PM
I haven't had a problem with bark, or wiggly butts using my FE.

Cooking with hickory and cherry I'll wrap butts when I get the color I want, which is usually around 170 internal. Sometimes I'll take them out at 205 or more internal. It all depends on how they feel. I start checking them more often when they get to 190-195. Handling them while I wrap I get a clue about what's going on.

pigville porkers
10-20-2016, 12:32 PM
My rec tec has good bark and butts fall apart fine.. Now in the same breath my Battle Box produces a different product all together.. Just depends on what you want from it

bram03
10-20-2016, 12:48 PM
I have never had an issue with bark using any of my pellet cookers. what is it about your bark that you aren't liking?

Again I've only ever had it from one source... But it was just lacking... did not have great smoky flavor, and did not have much of a "crust" at all...

I was expecting stick burner results, and what I got just did not impress...

Groundhog66
10-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Again I've only ever had it from one source... But it was just lacking... did not have great smoky flavor, and did not have much of a "crust" at all...

I was expecting stick burner results, and what I got just did not impress...

That was a very unrealistic expectation, you'll never get the same flavor from a pellet cooker.

bbqwizard
10-20-2016, 02:50 PM
^^ Agreed!

What you will get with a pellet cooker is a consistent, clean taste every time. If you want " a lot of smoke" then stick with a stick burner.

Other things to consider. What you ate.... how long was it cooked unwrapped?, at what temp (higher the temp, cleaner the burn.), type (flavor/brand) of pellets used? All things to consider.

KevinJ
10-20-2016, 04:31 PM
^^ Agreed!

What you will get with a pellet cooker is a consistent, clean taste every time. If you want " a lot of smoke" then stick with a stick burner.

Other things to consider. What you ate.... how long was it cooked unwrapped?, at what temp (higher the temp, cleaner the burn.), type (flavor/brand) of pellets used? All things to consider.
Great point on wrapping if you wrap before the bark is set I don't care what you're cooking on it will be soggy.

bram03
10-20-2016, 07:57 PM
^^ Agreed!

He never wraps... and groundhog made a good point. They just can't make the same product...