PDA

View Full Version : Sauce color

Ham14
10-10-2016, 10:19 PM
I really like making the tangy peach sauce Myron has. Vinegar sauce, corn syrup and peach preserves. When I blend this up it has a yellow color from the peaches. What could I add to get the color darker so when I glaze the ribs it don't look like I used mustard for sauce. Thanks

LYU370
10-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Food coloring, annatto/achiote, maybe a bit of ketchup.

tractoman
10-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Kitchen Bouquet. It is for making gravy darker.

Ham14
10-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Kitchen Bouquet. It is for making gravy darker.

Does that change the flavor at all? I guess that's sold in most supermarkets? Thanks

tractoman
10-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Does that change the flavor at all? I guess that's sold in most supermarkets? Thanks

Yes in a grocery store and I don't think there is any flavor to it. Just a brownish liquid for gravy and soups.

guero_gordo
10-11-2016, 12:37 AM
What about swapping in dark corn syrup?

BobBrisket
10-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Paprika would do the trick too and add a bit of smokiness as well.

Bob

Badjak
10-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Maybe soy, or ketjap (sweet soy).
It will change the taste though. but might be worth a try.

Other than that, a darker syrup.
If you would be in the Netherlands, I would suggest stroop or appelstroop....

cholloway
10-11-2016, 05:01 AM
Kitchen Bouquet and similar Gravy Master is caramelized sugar with a few different flavorings added. Usually a beef based flavor.

MeatyOakerSmoker
10-11-2016, 06:10 AM
Peaches should turn brown when exposed to oxygen. Maybe you have some long of color preserver in there and you didn't notice?

IamMadMan
10-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Kitchen Bouquet and similar Gravy Master is caramelized sugar with a few different flavorings added. Usually a beef based flavor.

^ +1 http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/rwbarney/Food/agree_zpswu0x8pdt.gif
Also a little Worcestershire or soy sauce would also work. Yes they all add some small amount of additional flavor which could be good, or bad, depending upon your taste. Maybe even liquid smoke would add coloring?

But as Andy indicated, if all you want is color and not to add additional levels of flavor, then use food coloring. It was designed for instances like this.

DiamondMarco
10-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Turmeric will change it to a deeper orange color without changing the flavor.

ChrisBarb
10-11-2016, 08:20 AM
I really like making the tangy peach sauce Myron has. Vinegar sauce, corn syrup and peach preserves. When I blend this up it has a yellow color from the peaches. What could I add to get the color darker so when I glaze the ribs it don't look like I used mustard for sauce. ThanksBeets?

greenmountainsmoke
10-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Do you put it over heat at all? Just thinking the sugars in the preserve could caramelize over heat and you might be able to avoid adding stuff. Just spitballing....

Ham14
10-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Lots of good info. What food color would you use like a brown I guess.

Ham14
10-11-2016, 08:46 AM
I had a little left fro the weekend and put some paprika in it and it did darken up. I don't usually cook it so next time I will cook it for a while and add paprika. Thanks for all the help. Wife really likes this sauce. Happy wife happy life

mr big
10-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Molasses maybe instead of corn syrup.

LYU370
10-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Lots of good info. What food color would you use like a brown I guess.

How to Mix Food Coloring to Make Different Colors
(https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-mix-food-coloring-to-make-different-colors/)

Brown and Black

"While chocolate icing sometimes serves as an adequate brown color for cake decorating, sometimes a deeper or lighter brown is required. Mix together two drops of red and two drops of green food coloring to make a dark brown. Lighten the brown food coloring to a tan color by adding two drops of yellow at a time. Mix and then add more yellow until the coloring reaches the shade of brown you want. Make black food coloring with three drops of blue, three drops of red and two drops of green food coloring."

Ham14
10-11-2016, 12:18 PM
How to Mix Food Coloring to Make Different Colors
(https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-mix-food-coloring-to-make-different-colors/)

Brown and Black

"While chocolate icing sometimes serves as an adequate brown color for cake decorating, sometimes a deeper or lighter brown is required. Mix together two drops of red and two drops of green food coloring to make a dark brown. Lighten the brown food coloring to a tan color by adding two drops of yellow at a time. Mix and then add more yellow until the coloring reaches the shade of brown you want. Make black food coloring with three drops of blue, three drops of red and two drops of green food coloring."
Thank you for your help

Dr_No
10-11-2016, 08:17 PM
I really like making the tangy peach sauce Myron has. Vinegar sauce, corn syrup and peach preserves. When I blend this up it has a yellow color from the peaches. What could I add to get the color darker so when I glaze the ribs it don't look like I used mustard for sauce. Thanks

You could use Coke or Dr. Pepper...

Here is Carmel Color food coloring I use for a different purpose.........

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/caramel-food-coloring-32-oz/125FDCOLORCM.html