PDA

View Full Version : Hatch chile and brisket chili; looking for a recipe

mrbodnar
09-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Thanks to this forum, I found out about and picked up some hot Hatch chiles that I roasted myself, peeled and froze in vac bags. I have some leftover (yes it's true) brisket from a Labor Day cook and I want to make a batch of chili with these as base ingredients. Looking for some recipe ideas, let's hear 'em. :grin:

Thanks,
Mike

16Adams
09-30-2016, 06:29 AM
May not answer your question but here goes. The recipe in the link is very good.
I make adjustments. Adding a pound of chopped brisket eliminating green bell and adding 3/4 to 1 cup chopped green Chile. Then adjusting seasoning. I've also been known to add a tad of beer and grits. The grits disappear but give the chili body and a subtle background flavor of corn tortilla. Beans? 90%+ no. But I'm not going to turn down a good bowl of chili when there may be a pinto floating around.
http://www.sucklebusters.com/texas-chili-recipe

To me chili is like gumbo, it never tastes the same twice, mainly because I never make it the same twice. If you like using your own spice cabinet- the top Chili cook off winning recipes are posted online.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1

Red chili with green Chile added is quite different than NM Green Chile Stew. Which is also fantastic but I usually use smoked pork shoulder, not beef. But it can.
http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Recipes/Archived_Recipes/Green_Chile_Stew/

defib
09-30-2016, 06:39 AM
It depends if you want something for burritos (burros where I'm from) or want a stew. Either way it starts the same. Although pork is the more traditional meat used. I have used Beef or chicken as well.

Sauté diced onion in oil until translucent. I usually add the green chili as well when it is almost done. Then add salt, pepper to taste. I usually add cumin as well. You can use water and tomato sauce or broth. Add your meat and simmer. You can make a roux, or a slurry with corn starch and add to thicken. I know some that thicken with instant potatoes. ( I always thought that was weird but it tasted good) If you want stew add tomatoes and or potatoes. You could even add carrots.

The good news is it is very forgiving. Experiment and enjoy. I also add a little agave nectar for some background sweetness occasionally. I would also keep notes on what you do. So if you knock it out of the park you can do it again. Or if it sucks you can say 'NOPE".

Good luck.

Shagdog
09-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Rough chop 2 dried guaillo, 2 dried ancho, 2 dried Puya (or whatever dried chiles you can get your hands on.. I use about 8 total.) Toast them in a dry skillet until they start to puff and char. Add a cup/cup and a half of beef broth simmer for a couple minutes and remove to a bowl and cover. Let them reconstitute for 30 minutes, then process in a food processor. Set aside.

Dice 2 lg onion and saute in a large pot. Add a 1lb of ground beef. When beef is almost done, add 1 red bell pepper, 2-3 chopped hatch, a smoked chopped jalapeno. Once the bell is softened, add 6 chopped cloves garlic. Add 1 pound cubed brisket. Add 2 texas hot links or Andouille in a pinch. After a couple more minutes, add a 28oz can tomatoes, and a beer. Add the pureed chiles. 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp oregeno, 1 tbls chili powder, and some salt. Let simmer for a couple hours, adding salt to taste and maybe a little cayenne if its not hot enough. 5 minutes before service, add 2 cans red beans if that's your thing.

Sorry this isn't in recipe form, I'm typing from memory... this is my chili..