PDA

View Full Version : seasoning turkey

DouG M
09-28-2016, 07:57 PM
The Canadian thanksgiving is next weekend. I do not want to brine the bird BUT I have seen where people have just put seasoning salt on chickens then cooked it. Has any one done a turkey this way before.

Burnt at Both Endz
09-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Sure, I get lazy occasionally.

I do slice up an onion and orange to put in the cavity.

BillN
09-28-2016, 08:19 PM
IMO the simplest/easiest is spatchcock, bard with bacon and cook away. The bacon will season, baste and prevent moisture loss as the bird cooks. However I do prefer to brine but have had great success with the bard only method.

lastmajordude
09-28-2016, 08:37 PM
IMO the simplest/easiest is spatchcock, bard with bacon and cook away. The bacon will season, baste and prevent moisture loss as the bird cooks. However I do prefer to brine but have had great success with the bard only method.

I guess you are talking about putting bacon grease under the skin and then tacking skin back up. If so that is an incredible turkey idea..........

IamMadMan
09-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Are you talking about a "Dry Brine" letting the salt and spices sit on/in the bird?

John, SirPorkaLot is experienced with the science of dry brines, maybe he'll come along soon and answer your question if this is what you are referring to..

In the meantime here is some reading...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3430275&postcount=3

and

http://food52.com/blog/2713-russ-parsons-dry-brined-turkey-a-k-a-the-judy-bird?utm_campaign=11_20_+11&utm_content=FOOD52+Thanksgiving+Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_source=MadMimi&utm_term=Russ+Parsons_27+Dry-Brined+Turkey+_28a_k_a_+The+Judy+Bird_29

daninnewjersey
09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Brine works great for sure....you can get some very interesting and different flavors. However, these turkey breasts got nothing more than a coat of olive oil, cracked black pepper and kosher salt....no brine. They come out great and so juicy. Same results are obtained with a whole turkey...

DouG M
09-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Forgive me I did not give much detail. I was thinking of just putting seasoning salt on the bird an hour to ? before. Then smoke it on on my UDS. Thanks DouG

DaveAlvarado
09-30-2016, 04:36 PM
That's how I do my turkey. I get the pre-brined kind (most of them are) and just add rub and toss it on the pit.