PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sources for home use vs catering/food truck

Elfmaze
09-28-2016, 05:44 PM
I have been thinking for many years about the setup i would run if I ever tried selling BBQ roadside in the future, and I haven't even figured out the fuel source.

Now at home I use two UDS smokers and buy the crap out of charcoal at the labor day sales, But this will not necessarily work when cooking daily.

I have seen guys use propane fired with slots for hard wood pieces for smoke, Straight local sourced Hard wood. Charcoal gravity feed.

Is there a source that is particularly hard to get? I imagine buying 20lb bags of kingsford is not the best way to go about this. But relying on a tree company to keep you stocked with hard wood seems risky too?

I guess the gas fired hardwood smoke version sounds the most stable of a fuel source for daily use?

My next smoker I was looking heavily at a nice sized gravity fed charcoal. But so many options out there.

Wolverine
09-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Southern Pride makes gas fired wood mix, lots of restaruants use them, however your Q would be the same as theirs, setting yourself apart from the just average Q is the idea that will put you over the top. Dailey use charcoal is a pain but the Q is nothing like what people buy in the local restaurants. I see you live in PA, the home of Meadow Creek, buying something that will do good in summer is easy but in Winter all bets are off. That said I bought a Meadow Creek pr60 and it is bad a-- in jan and feb, I can do any thing smoke ,roast, grill, you name it. In the end its about what your going to have for a menu that will dictate what kind of smoker you should buy rather than the one you dream about. Think of your menu first then chose your cooker. Good Luck

Elfmaze
09-28-2016, 08:47 PM
I will admit the gas fired rotisserie smoker seemed like a treat to run...

looked similar to this, had a propane jet burner in the back and he would toss a log or two in the back doors in the flames path. Way bigger than I would need though lol

http://rkdzines.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Trailer-BBQ-smoker-grill-with-a-rotisserie..jpg

ooootis
10-26-2016, 11:47 AM
I will admit the gas fired rotisserie smoker seemed like a treat to run...

looked similar to this, had a propane jet burner in the back and he would toss a log or two in the back doors in the flames path. Way bigger than I would need though lol

I'm in the planning stages of a mixed bag trailer BBQ and some items from fine dinning refined for the masses. I would use the Southern Pride in a heart beat but not the rotisserie model I would use the SRG 400. Besides a ton ofmeat other items can be prepared in the smoker. Again like Wolverine said it depends on your menu.

Elfmaze
10-26-2016, 12:32 PM
I was down in Tennessee at a BBQ joint outside Knoxville. They had some of the best Q I tried on my Smokey Mountain trip.

He was using a pair of Southern pride rotisseries propane fired with white oak and hickory for smoke wood. My guess is for consistency and ease its hard to beat the Gas heat hardwood smoke combo.

viking72
10-27-2016, 06:19 AM
Wood for BBQ. Propane for FQ.

Later,
Doug