PDA

View Full Version : Brining a turkey

dcimike125
09-27-2016, 02:28 PM
I usually start to brine the turkey the day before I smoke/roast it. I plan to smoke one on Saturday but will be away Thursday night thru Friday night. Is there such a thing as too much or will I be safe starting it tomorrow night and let it set in the spare (cookout) fridge?

IamMadMan
09-27-2016, 03:10 PM
I also feel one should really consider the benefit of using a brine, not only for moisture, but for imparting great flavors as well. If you plan to brine, make sure you do not select an "Enhanced" turkey as these birds have already been brined by the processor. If the bird is "Enhanced" and you brine it, you may end up with a slightly over-salty flavored turkey, and it may also effect the texture of the meat.

I prefer the flavors imparted by Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Brine.... The flavor is truly awesome!!!!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1087814&postcount=1

Here is a guide to smoking the turkey by the same person.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1450009&postcount=1

There is also a good article in Smoke Signals Magazine starting on page 26...
http://issue13.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

From the archives - Wampus Smokes a Turkey.....This mirrors the article in Smoke signals.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176618

and of course the Brethren Unofficial Turkey Thread....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494

To Brine or Not to Brine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1464686&postcount=1

dadsr4
09-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Just as a counterpoint to other opinions, I've cooked a lot of enhanced turkeys on my kettle. Tried brining and decided that it was a waste of time. Most have had the skin coated with sesame oil, and herbs and citrus fruit in the cavity. A couple, I've just pulled them out of the bag in the sink while the kettle was starting. All have turned out quite moist without the brining.

dcimike125
09-27-2016, 04:03 PM
I have my go to brine recipe. My question though is can you brine it too much in other words, Brining for 3 days vs 24 hours

SirPorkaLot
09-27-2016, 04:34 PM
I have my go to brine recipe. My question though is can you brine it too much in other words, Brining for 3 days vs 24 hours

IMHO the answer is Yes you can brine too long. Especially with a Wet Brine. The longer the meat sits in a wet brine solution, the more salt it will pull in.

I personally would not wet brine for 3 days.
I inadvertently did a 48 hour wet brine on a turkey once and it was like sucking on a salty sponge.

It is much more difficult to brine too long with a Dry Brine (EQ method) and I have successfully dry brined as long as 72 hours.

Battleborn
09-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Could you could make the brine, leave it and the turkey in the spare fridge and get someone to dunk it in for you on Friday?

Smoking Piney
09-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Just my thoughts, but once the salt content reaches equilibrium, no more salt will be absorbed. If you're using a low salt / half strength brine you can extend the brining time.

That said, three days is a VERY LONG time in any brine.

SirPorkaLot
09-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Just my thoughts, but once the salt content reaches equilibrium, no more salt will be absorbed. If you're using a low salt / half strength brine you can extend the brining time.

That said, three days is a VERY LONG time in any brine.

After a certain amount of time you are no longer brining and have stepped into curing.
Salt will continue to do it's thing though. You can brine too long, especially in a wet brine because it will never hit equilibrium before it turns into a mushy salty mess.

Equilibrium curing (EQ) only works if you use a percent of the total weight (water and meat) to make your brine. It is far easier (In my opinion) to do this successfully with a dry brine.

Smoking Piney
09-27-2016, 07:45 PM
After a certain amount of time you are no longer brining and have stepped into curing.
Salt will continue to do it's thing though. You can brine too long, especially in a wet brine because it will never hit equilibrium before it turns into a mushy salty mess.

Equilibrium curing (EQ) only works if you use a percent of the total weight (water and meat) to make your brine. It is far easier (In my opinion) to do this successfully with a dry brine.

Got educated......thanks SirPorkaLot! :thumb:

Burnt at Both Endz
09-27-2016, 08:03 PM
I brine at a rate of 1 cup of kosher salt to a gallon of water for an extended period of time and have never had mushy, cured turkey. My normal brine time is 48-50 hrs for a 13# bird.

I would have no hesitation for the longer time that you are wanting to do on a whole turkey.

SirPorkaLot
09-27-2016, 08:14 PM
I brine at a rate of 1 cup of kosher salt to a gallon of water for an extended period of time and have never had mushy, cured turkey. My normal brine time is 48-50 hrs for a 13# bird.

I would have no hesitation for the longer time that you are wanting to do on a whole turkey.

Wow that's a long time to brine a bird! Is the bird frozen when you start this?

Burnt at Both Endz
09-27-2016, 08:17 PM
Wow that's a long time to brine a bird! Is the bird frozen when you start this?

No sir, I'd never wet brine a frozen turkey. If it's frozen you need to dry brine.

SirPorkaLot
09-27-2016, 08:20 PM
No sir, I'd never wet brine a frozen turkey. If it's frozen you need to dry brine.

I was wondering. I have gone 72 hours with a dry brine, but rarely over 36 with a wet brine. Like I said I did roughly 48-50 hours once and felt the bird was a bit mushy and was definately more salty than I prefer.

I used the same ratio as you in wet brine. 1 cup of kosher to a gallon

Could be the difference in how it was cooked to I guess..

dcimike125
09-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone, Problem solved. My buddy will stop over and take care of it for me.