PDA

View Full Version : Spactchcock Chicken

Tophmaster
09-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Planning on trying to spatchcock a whole chicken and do it on my WSM. Has anyone ever tried this? Wondering how long it would take for a 4 lbs bird and if I run the risk of drying it out this way?

bonehead762
09-27-2016, 12:31 PM
I started spatchcocking and loved it. But I quickly moved on to cutting the bird through the breast to make just half chickens. I smoke them low at about 240 degrees or so and they are always juicy and extra yummy!

Fwismoker
09-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Run the risk of drying out?? OH heck no, No no worries there!

I wouldn't do 4 birds in there personally but that's because I like to cook direct. I start cooking inside down then flip part way through skin side down. Nothing better than chicken directly over hot coals or direct fire.

My spatchcocks take about 75 minutes.

TedW
09-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Personal preference-

Red meat likes smoke

Chicken likes heat. Chicken skin, specifically.

375F on direct flame spatchcock might take 50-60min. for crisp. Spatchcock on indirect (like oven or Green Egg) takes 425+ for crisp, same 50-60 min.

My mileage may vary from yours.

lastmajordude
09-27-2016, 02:57 PM
I am really partial to spatch.....Baked or direct.....brine and spatch....finally my birds are going from meh to pretty darn decent....

TedW
09-27-2016, 03:08 PM
I always brine and refridgerator-dry chicken. Spatchcock keeps a moister product compared to pieces.

dadsr4
09-27-2016, 03:41 PM
If you are worried about dryness, here is an easy way to expose the meat to add butter and flavorings.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218222

TedW
09-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Great idea, Dad. I do something similar, but I creep in from the edges.

I can get a little wet rub under all the skin, which is a sweet Apple butter + rub, basically. Maybe Hoisin

Then the skin is returned nicely basically like you did. I add a little pepper and paprika and then on direct flames at 375. Skin doesn't burn, as the sugar is under and protected by the skin until the very end where it turns quite brown.

T.Mac
09-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Couldn't give you a time estimate OP, but when it gets close to the done IT, remove the center section of the WSM and place the cooking grate on top of the charcoal chamber to sear the chicken direct for crispy skin. That final step doesn't take long, so don't walk away or get distracted.

Sea Rover
09-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Dry? Ha Ha! You can get the juicy tender chicken that you didnt think you could make happen on a WSM. Brine backbone removed chickens overnight. Light 1 and half chimneys of charcoal then when lit add to ring and a small split of pecan. Oven all vents,remove water pan then add chicken skin side down for 30 min. Sauce then turn for a total cook time of an hour. Best chicken you have had.

Sea Rover
09-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Forgot to add that I like Texas Grand Champion rub on the chicken.