PDA

View Full Version : Pellicle = OWT?

airedale
09-24-2016, 11:25 AM
OK so I've done pellicles on salmon and on bacon. Hang in a well-ventilated place for a few hours until the surface gets a little sticky. etc. etc.

But so what? That's exactly what is happening right now to the pork bellies I hung for cold smoking this morning. And that's what happens when I hot- or cold- smoke salmon. So why screw around? Just put the food in the smoker!

Maybe it's an issue for higher temperature smoke? My "hot" smoking is 225deg or lower.

cowgirl
09-24-2016, 11:55 AM
I've butchered a lot of hogs and have made a lot of bacon. As long as the meat is dry, it smokes just fine. I cold smoke at 85F and below. Wet meat can make the smoke streak.

landarc
09-24-2016, 01:01 PM
It just makes the surface more receptive to smoke. In the old days, it was thought to aid in moisture retention. I do believe that it aids in holding on to rub. For that reason, I do tend to let my ribs sit with rub on racks before cooking.

airedale
09-24-2016, 01:09 PM
It just makes the surface more receptive to smoke. In the old days, it was thought to aid in moisture retention. I do believe that it aids in holding on to rub. For that reason, I do tend to let my ribs sit with rub on racks before cooking.I understand the argument though I don't know if it's true or not.

My point was that we get the same surface aka pellicle after a half hour or an hour in the smoker, so what's the point of fussing about it ahead of time?

MisterChrister
09-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Because if we all did things the exact same way, what the heck would we have to get on here and argue about?!?!? :razz:

gcs
09-24-2016, 05:15 PM
I just dry up the real wet spots with paper towels and into the smoker it goes, it dries just fine in there, :mrgreen:

Never had streaks, or any other bad result, the bacon takes the smoke just as good as pre drying it.

Norm
09-24-2016, 05:21 PM
I always let my bellies dry for a day to get rid of the moisture, it definitely lets the smoke absorb better doing a cold smoke. I'm not a fan of hot smoking bacon, might as well just fry it straight out of the cure.

coyotero
09-24-2016, 10:05 PM
if you want to get a pellicle! after the cure put them on racks and di
rect a fan on them for about 8 hs! then cold smoke!

airedale
09-25-2016, 12:43 PM
So ... no one is arguing that "forming a pellicle" is necessary prior to smoking. I'll assume OWT, then.

SGH
09-25-2016, 01:13 PM
I've butchered a lot of hogs

Me too sister. If I had a dollar for every one that I have hacked up, me and you both could retire:thumb:

Norm
09-25-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure how you got I was saying that, quite to the contrary my experience is that it is for bacon.

SGH and Jeanie I usually do at least one or two a year for the freezer and to give to my sons and friends. I make my own bacon just like you guys do.

I'd suggest you do one with and without and let us know how it turns out airedale.

SGH
09-25-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure how you got I was saying that, quite to the contrary my experience is that it is for bacon.

Brother Norm, I always let the whole carcasses hang for 24-48 hours. Then as the meat comes off of the carcass, it goes straight into the smokehouse for a good 7-8 day cold smoke.

landarc
09-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I actually have no idea if it matters or not. I've never looked up the science. It's what I was taught.

And let's be honest here, much of what I do with BBQ is not scientific in terms of proof. I'm the first to admit I don't really KNOW what I'm doing. But, I've been "doing it" for 45 years and get decent results.

SGH
09-25-2016, 04:20 PM
I actually have no idea if it matters or not. I've never looked up the science. It's what I was taught.

And let's be honest here, much of what I do with BBQ is not scientific in terms of proof. I'm the first to admit I don't really KNOW what I'm doing. But, I've been "doing it" for 45 years and get decent results.

I have to agree with all of the above 100%. Be it right or wrong, I still do what my grandfather taught me decades ago. The science be damned.