PDA

View Full Version : turkey sausage fatty

SmokeyBear
01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I did a turkey sausage fatty this morning (work midnight shift and was off last night). I had picked up a log of turkey sausage with the idea of doing a fatty with it. I sprinkled it with a little Hickory Grill and put it in the BGE.

It is absolutely horrible.

I had high hopes as it has so much less fat than pork sausage. The meat is moist, but the taste is just plain bad. I don't know if the rub just doesn't agree with the turkey thus the bad taste, but the texture is horrible too.

thillin
01-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I've done the little turkey link breakfast sausage on the hotspot of my smoker sprinkled with rub. They came out fine. Did you use turkey sausage, or just ground turkey? I don't see the later having much taste if not heavily seasoned.
Ty

tony76248
01-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Mince up some japs or serranos and garlic and mix them with the turkey. Plus apply rub liberally.

SmokeyBear
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
I've done the little turkey link breakfast sausage on the hotspot of my smoker sprinkled with rub. They came out fine. Did you use turkey sausage, or just ground turkey? I don't see the later having much taste if not heavily seasoned.
Ty

It was turkey sausage in log form just like the Jimmy Dean stuff although it was a different name brand. The texture when cooked was terrible too. I think that I'll forget about the turkey sausage fatties, although I do have another package from a different company that I could try just to see if I get different results.

BigBarry
01-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Interesting idea - I love smoked turkey but never thought of a fattie. Please let us know how the second one goes.

Anybody else have success with turkey fatties?