PDA

View Full Version : Upland birds on PBC

jtcannonball
09-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Anybody do any Ruffed Grouse or Pheasant on a PBC before? I'm curious as our opener is Thursday and I'll have plenty to eat after a few trips.

krex1010
09-12-2016, 09:51 PM
I've grilled both grouse and pheasant....it's trickier than a chicken because they are so lean. Definitely take the time to pluck the birds and leave the skin on, plucking is much easier if it's done while the bird is still warm or you could do the scalding thing to help remove the feathers. when I'm lucky enough to get several birds I'll often grill the breast and save the legs for a bird n dumplings...or some other method to braise those tough little legs.

jtcannonball
09-12-2016, 09:55 PM
I love to use woodcock medium wrapped in bacon stuffed jalapenos. That's a great appetizer for newbies to upland game. Lol

I always pluck Grouse but will quick breast a Pheasant and pluck the legs. Pheasant can go sideways quick. I've had great luck on a George Foreman while at grouse camp on a Pheasant because of the fast double sided heat.

Wolf13
09-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Haven't had the opportunity to do any duck or pheasant on the cooker yet. Be interested to see how it turns out! With pheasant we typically piece it out and throw it in some of our gravy (spaghetti sauce) and slow cook it like a pot roast. Turns out tender and delicious.

Battleborn
09-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Best pheasant I ever did was rotisserie. Put 2 on the spit opposite each other with the legs set into the opposite breast cavities. Smoke over half way done then wrap them in foil with melted butter poured in.

93vpmod
09-13-2016, 08:33 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222448

This was a small PBC cook that I had a while back...

Big-Joe
09-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Wrap the breast with bacon

Haveuseen1?
09-13-2016, 04:33 PM
You can also do pigeons with the bacon and jalapeno pepper. Much more meat than a dove and really fun to shoot.

krex1010
09-13-2016, 07:04 PM
You can also do pigeons with the bacon and jalapeno pepper. Much more meat than a dove and really fun to shoot.

Pigeon is good eats....people think I'm crazy when I say that but man if you saw the average city pigeon and a chicken before it hits the meat plant.....people would choose to eat the pigeon everytime