PDA

View Full Version : Pork quality

ice_mf_mike
09-08-2016, 09:55 PM
So i know for briskets the quality of meat(choice, Prime, etc) is important. is this also true for pork butts/picnics? Is there a specific quality of the butt i should be asking for? Something i should be looking for to find the best option?

Ray43050
09-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Not sure if this helps you but I have read that Huntspoint meats (http://www.huntspoint.com/buy-wholesale-bbq-meats.html) is where many competition meats come from. Fun to look over this page.

IamMadMan
09-08-2016, 10:56 PM
I believe only the carcasses are graded, but it is not carried into the final individual cuts of meat.

Pork
Pork is not graded with USDA quality grades as it is generally produced from young animals that have been bred and fed to produce more uniformly tender meat. Appearance is an important guide in buying fresh pork. Look for cuts with a relatively small amount of fat over the outside and with meat that is firm and grayish pink in color. For best flavor and tenderness, meat should have a small amount of marbling. Pork's consistency makes it suitable for a variety of cooking styles.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/production-and-inspection/inspection-and-grading-of-meat-and-poultry-what-are-the-differences_/inspection-and-grading-differences/!ut/p/a1/jZFRT4MwEMc_DY9di8yF-UZIzIYOXBYd42Xp4FpIoCVtkcxPb8EHnRm69qV39_tf2__hDKc 4E_S94tRUUtB6iLPFkWzJwl2GJEqW7iNZx2_b5CkMib-7t8DhDyD2btRPrID8p49uuOBObcINx1lLTYkqwSROORhEhe5Ba ZwyKQukKQNzRozmBukSwNhCq2TR5YMVFi6sVLcwhjj9Po8lrmh RCY4kQw1QM-Za2dVGnVFfDgkFyJSAiooxUCBy0MfJLj8gvMfZ5ReJa_c69nbz VRR7JJn_Bq7M4AuYNtm6yGt5Ggd-CMTJ861dCoZHqFmnbLo0ptUPDnFI3_czLiWvYZbLxiHXJKXUBq eXJG6b1_TjOViR6qXZ-zr4BEpuht4!/#9

Joe Black
09-09-2016, 12:24 PM
^^^^^ ditto, MadMan. If pork were USDA graded, we couldn't afford it.

landarc
09-09-2016, 02:12 PM
I believe there are differences in pork, but, there's no market grading standards. The best option is to find a brand of meat packer or store brand you like, and stick with them.

cfrazier77
09-09-2016, 05:26 PM
This is why it is a good thing to find a great butcher. They can guide you on what is good. This is especially true of butchers who butcher their own animals from local instead of getting primal in from the big packing houses and then breaking them down.

Gore
09-09-2016, 06:06 PM
I used to LOVE pork. It used to be marbled like we get beef. Unfortunately, that is a thing of the past. I check the meat counters and sometimes it is a bit more marbled than others and sometimes I am very pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, it is usually dry, tough and tasteless.

It is possible to get good pork if you find the right butcher with the right supplier, but unfortunately, we don't put the emphasis on pork that they do in other countries. Compare what we get here with what you might get in a supermarket in Spain, for example:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/Spain11/IMG_2299.jpg

dadsr4
09-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Like many things, it comes down to learning about what you are looking for. The only thing I look for on a pork label is if it is enhanced. Otherwise, I look at the meat. What is it's color? Is the fat distribution what I like? If it doesn't look like what I want to cook, I don't buy it. I purchase beef the same way.

SteveKing
09-09-2016, 06:58 PM
I used to LOVE pork. It used to be marbled like we get beef. Unfortunately, that is a thing of the past. I check the meat counters and sometimes it is a bit more marbled than others and sometimes I am very pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, it is usually dry, tough and tasteless.

It is possible to get good pork if you find the right butcher with the right supplier, but unfortunately, we don't put the emphasis on pork that they do in other countries. Compare what we get here with what you might get in a supermarket in Spain, for example:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/Spain11/IMG_2299.jpg

Thats some fine looking lonzino(?)

RolandJT
09-10-2016, 12:59 PM
If you're looking for more fat try a Berkshire/Kurobota pork. The big supplier here in IA is called Berkshire farms and their acorn fed label is quite tasty and noticeably fattier than normal pork.

I'm a big fan of the ribs.