PDA

View Full Version : Cooking low question

Ham14
09-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I normally cook around a 8lb Boston butt at 300 degrees for about 5 hours and done. Now I have my new cooker it seems I need to lose the cook temp down a bit 250-275. How long is the average cook time at that temp. What would a brisket take. I cook them at 350 for abou 4 hours. Just got to learn the slow cook times. Thanks everyone

SirPorkaLot
09-04-2016, 03:18 PM
At 275F figure an ~1 hour per pound for pork butt

Westx
09-04-2016, 03:22 PM
I cooked three butts Thursday night on my Humphreys Pint, two boneless @6.5 lbs each and one bone in @ 9.5 at 250 degrees set on my DIGIQ. Put them on at 7:30, wrapped at midnight and finally pulled at 5:30. They were probably done at 4:30 but I didn't herE any of my alarms and only woke up when the dog wanted out. Finally meat temp was 208 to 210 but theynweren't over cooked and we're a big hit at the office party.

Ham14
09-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Will give it a try. Thanks for all help

KevinJ
09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
I normally cook around a 8lb Boston butt at 300 degrees for about 5 hours and done. Now I have my new cooker it seems I need to lose the cook temp down a bit 250-275.
Curious as to why you have to reduce your preferred temps?

Ham14
09-04-2016, 06:03 PM
I love cooking hot and fast but I was told that the fat cap burnt due to being to close to the heat or temps to high. I bought the assassin grill/smoker due to the fact I was getting an assassin 24 but I had to get a tooth pulled and wife got sick so I had to dip into the funds for that. I've had a Lang and I liked it but I'm disabled and not able to cut wood and mess with a fire all day. That's why I wanted the 24 gravity fed. I'm really hoping this cooker works out cause I'm out of money and really love cooking BBQ. I don't know if a water pan would work better for hot and fast cause if I wanted to cook the whole bottom of the pit I don't want my meats to start burning. I'm kinda lost on this one

KevinJ
09-04-2016, 06:11 PM
It'll workout for you new pits just take a little time to figure out, personally I don't care if the fat cap burns, that's why I go fat cap down on the WSM. I also wrap with butcher paper about 3 to 4 hours in, when I'm happy with the bark and color. Are you using the V-pan or the water tray?

Ham14
09-04-2016, 06:15 PM
It'll workout for you new pits just take a little time to figure out, personally I don't care if the fat cap burns, that's why I go fat cap down on the WSM. I also wrap with butcher paper about 3 to 4 hours in, when I'm happy with the bark and color. Are you using the V-pan or the water tray?

V pan. Which would you use

COS
09-04-2016, 06:17 PM
I love cooking hot and fast but I was told that the fat cap burnt due to being to close to the heat or temps to high. I bought the assassin grill/smoker due to the fact I was getting an assassin 24 but I had to get a tooth pulled and wife got sick so I had to dip into the funds for that. I've had a Lang and I liked it but I'm disabled and not able to cut wood and mess with a fire all day. That's why I wanted the 24 gravity fed. I'm really hoping this cooker works out cause I'm out of money and really love cooking BBQ. I don't know if a water pan would work better for hot and fast cause if I wanted to cook the whole bottom of the pit I don't want my meats to start burning. I'm kinda lost on this one

If your referring to my post in your other thread, I wasn't meaning to lower your temps. It probably would've been fine if you placed your meat to the right a few more inches or shorted up the aluminum foil.

275 for me cooking a butt is about 45mim a pound. 8lb butt would take between 8-9hrs.

Ham14
09-04-2016, 06:30 PM
No it wasn't you another guy I know that cooks on this same cooker. I may sound stupid but just trying to figure this out is how could you smoke meat if you had enough to fill the bottom. Or is it just smarter to cook small amounts to the side. One reason I did even go with this is space size. I thought I would be able to cook all the way across. To much drama with cooking lol.

KevinJ
09-04-2016, 07:31 PM
V pan. Which would you use
V-pan
I thought I would be able to cook all the way across. To much drama with cooking lol.
You should be able to cook across the whole grate, you may have one side hotter than the other but you can use that to your advantage as well. It will probably just takes a few cooks to figure it out. I'd get some oven thermo's put them in the grill and figure out what your grate temps are.

iBBQ
09-04-2016, 09:23 PM

For a pork butt, I cut the fat cap off. The meat is fatty enough.

If you decide to wrap your meat at some point, then that will affect your cooking times too.

Ham14
09-04-2016, 09:26 PM
What is the difference in using a v pan to a water pan?

Westx
09-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Ham14, I cook with water no matter what temp I cook at. I cook my brisket at 300 with no problems just have to use more water to start then when cooking at lower temps and it will last the whole cook which is around 6 to 7 hours.

pjtexas1
09-05-2016, 12:13 AM
What would cooking in pans on the bottom rack do? Would it change the airflow too much? I've never cooked on a gf.

Ham14
09-05-2016, 08:31 AM
That was my first time cooking in pan. I put it in pan when I wrapped it It just steam cooks the last 50 degrees of my cook. Basically like being in a oven

pjtexas1
09-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Did it stick to the pan? I have better luck with a small grate in the bottom of the pan. Lately I have been using foil balls to get the grate higher in the pan.