PDA

View Full Version : Baked beans

SmokinM
09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Good afternoon, I'm gonna be smoking ribs tomorrow and would like to cook some beans underneath the ribs to catch those drippings.

Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share?

Thanks

Friedturkeyspam
09-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Here's what I've been doing for the last couple of years, simple but delicious.
I buy Bush's been original, Sam's club has it in a 4 or 5 pound can for something like six bucks. In a skillet dice up a pound of bacon and a large onion, drain grease add to beans in a Dutch oven. Add a generous squirt of ketchup and yellow mustard, a generous helping of brown sugar and several tablespoons of molasses and a tablespoon of minced garlic. Stir it all together and put on smoker under some pork of some kind, stir every thirty minutes or so, it soaks up smoke from my stick burner and gods own pork juice from above.
Good luck
Mike

Norm
09-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Damn that sounds good!

Bigr314
09-03-2016, 05:48 PM
That is a must try. Thanks for sharing.

Ron_L
09-03-2016, 05:55 PM
There are a bunch of threads with recipes. The Google search box near the bottom of the page searches just this site.

Here is one thread that has several recipes...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214453

Badhabit
09-03-2016, 10:21 PM
This is one of my favorite go to recipes for a potluck or whatever. I use a pound of bacon and also add some hot Italian sausage.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/barbecue-baked-beans/

H

LYU370
09-03-2016, 10:40 PM
I'll just say I hardly ever follow a recipe exactly. I've been making a version of Myron Mixon's peach beans for a while to good reviews. Recently have made Mike Mill's 17th St. BBQ Pit beans, also pretty darned good. Another one I want to try is Keri's Hog Apple Beans, as I've heard those are pretty tasty as well.

Ham14
09-03-2016, 11:11 PM
I make myrons beans to. I add extra stuff to kinda make it mine I guess lol.

SmokinM
09-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Thank you all for the recipes. Would you happen to know the photo of the beans recipe that has three different type of beans in it? Thanks

JeffMac
09-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Wampus Peach Bourbon Beans! Google it at the bottom of the page.

cheez59
09-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Here is my go to.

Big John's baked beans:

Two big cans of pork & beans or 3 small cans. Bush's are the best but any will work.
One large onion chopped fine
One bell pepper chopped fine
One smoked naked fattie chopped up
One big tablespoon of minced garlic
Two tablespoons of Dominator or Secret Weapon
1/3 cup of brown sugar or sorghum syrup
1/3 cup of Blues Hog Original sauce

Put it in a foil pan and mix it all up good.
Cook it on the top rack of the smoker for 2-3 hours uncovered and stir it about once an hour to mix the top smoky layer in. I look for the onions and peppers to get tender and some of the bean juice to thicken up.

LYU370
09-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Thank you all for the recipes. Would you happen to know the photo of the beans recipe that has three different type of beans in it? Thanks
I always put at least three different beans in any bean recipe I make. Red, black, white, pink, pinto, bush's, etc... Only ones I don't use are lima beans, I think they are too big.

TedW
09-04-2016, 11:38 AM
It's great that there are so many recipes that start with dried beans.

guero_gordo
09-04-2016, 03:06 PM
My own experience is that things get very salty in the drip pan with the runoff from my rub, so I don't put any in the beans until the end.
I've also screwed up on the water and scorched the brown sugar.....so don't do that either. ;-)

buckysGT
09-05-2016, 06:28 PM
I buy a couple large cans of Bush's baked beans. Fry up some bacon and remove. Dice up a green pepper, jalapeño pepper (maybe two depending on my mood), onion and sauté in the bacon grease until they just begin to soften. Then I combine the peppers, onion and bacon with the beans. Add a handful off brown sugar, ketchup and mustard. Then I add a can or two of pineapple pieces and throw on the smoker. If I'm doing ribs I'll also throw cut up rib tips and throw in.

SwineGuy
09-06-2016, 03:12 PM
I start with a ratio of 3 cans baked beans, 1 can black beans and 1 can red kidney. Then add all the other stuff, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, poblano, jalapeno, brown sugar, homemade bbq sauce, leftover bbq'd meat, S&P and whatever else I feel like throwing in there. Then into the smoke bath for a few hours.

fleihr
09-06-2016, 07:09 PM
I use Larry's from the Wolfe pit very good imo