PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys empty your water pan?

Neuro
09-01-2016, 05:44 PM
I am struggling with where to dump my greasy/meaty/cheesy etc... Water pan from my WMS. Where do you guys dump it?

Can I dump it down the garage sink? I have been dumping it in a dirt area in the backyard.

Happy Hapgood
09-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I set mine in the kitchen sink. About an hour later it's "Magically" clean. Funny, it only seems to work when the Wife is home. :confused:

SmittyJonz
09-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Fence Line.........

SmittyJonz
09-01-2016, 06:03 PM
or put cooled ash in trash bag and pour on top of ash. or keep a metal bucket for Hot ash and pour on top, then dump ash next day or two in trash bag.

sturev
Over the side of the deck/hill when I have a dirty one...

Let's see how long this lasts... :-P

smoke ninja
I use to use an old cat litter pail. When it gets full the whole deal goes in the trash.

Probably the biggest reason folks dont use water here

Jason TQ
09-01-2016, 06:05 PM
With my backwoods when I using the water pan I dump the ashes into a full aluminum pan and then dump the water over it. Wait for it to cool and then into the trash outside. But I have some woods out the back of the house and the water is easy to dump in there too.

Fwismoker
09-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Water pan? :confused:

HouseDoc
09-01-2016, 06:29 PM
I dump mine into 13 gal flex trash bag. Then put that into 2nd bag.
Next stop trash can.

yakdung
09-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Simply do not use one.

KevinJ
09-01-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't use the water pan in the WSM, ditched it for a clay saucer, the WSM burns charcoal more efficiently without water using less charcoal during a cook and I don't have any problems with temperature control. I don't believe you get better results with using water during a cook and my cleanup is lifting a piece of HD Foil and replacing it with another piece.

Nuco59
09-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Water pans are nasty- well- not the pans themselves. My cookers are basically UDS's (3 different sizes) so I don't have to deal with the yucky results. IF I had to though, I think I'd do the ash or cat litter absorb, plastic bag and sneak it into the neighbor's trash. :-D

Gore
09-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Dang, I always considered that as one of the chef's treats. If I'm feeling really fancy, I make crushed ice for when I'm making margaritas. You guys don't know what you're wasting.

cheez59
09-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I only use water about 1/4 of the time in my LSG but when I do I dump it out on my fence/woods line.

IamMadMan
09-01-2016, 07:04 PM
While I don't have a WSM, I do use a water pan. I also use a full size hotel pan as a drip pan to keep the water pan nice and clean. I use a shovel and remove a chunk of grass, make a hole, dump the drippings in. After a minute they are absorbed into the dirt, fill the hole and replace the grass. No one would ever know, no brown spots, just rich green grass. Rinse the drip pan and it's ready for another use. When I have a dirty drip pan that won't rinse clean, I just toss it and start over.

Ham14
09-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Backyard on fence line, dog goes out and next day it's all gone :becky:

robert-r
09-01-2016, 07:20 PM
I dumped it on the lawn one time. My dog rolled in it. She was so pleased.... she came into the house matted/covered with drippings... leaves... grass... & shook herself.

Wornslick
09-01-2016, 07:29 PM
No water pan used here.

mrboy
09-01-2016, 07:56 PM
I try to use only as much water as it takes to complete the cook, sometimes i guess better than others.

Using a full size, aluminum hotel pan to line my Backwoods water pan, I let it cool, skim the fat and put the congealed fat in a plastic bag & toss. Then carry what's left to the nearest crapper, potty, toilet or commode... dump and flush.

Neuro
09-01-2016, 07:59 PM
I try to use only as much water as it takes to complete the cook, sometimes i guess better than others.

Using a full size, aluminum hotel pan to line my Backwoods water pan, I let it cool, skim the fat and put the congealed fat in a plastic bag & toss. Then carry what's left to the nearest crapper, potty, toilet or commode... dump and flush.

hah, nice, the toilet. I didn't think of that.

Ag76
09-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Don't pour it down the sink. Will stop up your pipes.

Neuro
09-01-2016, 08:06 PM
I set mine in the kitchen sink. About an hour later it's "Magically" clean. Funny, it only seems to work when the Wife is home. :confused:
oh, that wouldn't work here.

or put cooled ash in trash bag and pour on top of ash. or keep a metal bucket for Hot ash and pour on top, then dump ash next day or two in trash bag.
This could work, although the water volume greatly out measures the ash.

I don't use the water pan in the WSM, ditched it for a clay saucer, the WSM burns charcoal more efficiently without water using less charcoal during a cook and I don't have any problems with temperature control. I don't believe you get better results with using water during a cook and my cleanup is lifting a piece of HD Foil and replacing it with another piece.
Noted, will look for a 21 inch or so clay saucer for a dry cook.

Q Junkie
09-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Why would anyone throw that away?

smoke ninja
09-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Smoker water pan water is the bong water of the bbq world. I wonder what would happen of you mixed the two.

kaktus
09-01-2016, 11:22 PM
if you use a drip pan, i think it's a good call to put some foil on it before a cook. makes cleanup easier. scrubbing all of that greasy crust is not fun.

guero_gordo
09-02-2016, 01:16 AM
I bring the drip pan in while still hot, skim off what little I'm going to use in sauce/beans and dump the rest down the drain while still near boiling, followed by some hot tap water.
It might be lurking down there to smite me some day, but I doubt it.

Haastyle
09-02-2016, 06:27 AM
if you use a drip pan, i think it's a good call to put some foil on it before a cook. makes cleanup easier. scrubbing all of that greasy crust is not fun.

This. I do this too and it works really well. Clean up is so much faster, and you personally stay cleaner.

A few things.

1, if there is water and grease left, I dump it in the lawn just outside of the fence so the dog doesn't get at it.
2, if the water is all gone and only grease and crud are left.... I will throw ash in there to soak it up a bit, then remove the foil, put that in a plastic shopping bag and throw it away. Garden hose cleans off the pan good enough the rest of the way.... replace the foil.
3, never dump it down the drain. The oil will collect and harden somewhere along the way. Either in the trap, or in the pipe itself. You would think that just running a ton of hot water down the drain would take care of it..... but it doesn't. It will just collect further down the line somewhere. A backed up sewer in your basement is not a fun way to learn that lesson..... as my friend found out while I laughed.

Jrogers84
09-02-2016, 06:49 AM
I bring the drip pan in while still hot, skim off what little I'm going to use in sauce/beans and dump the rest down the drain while still near boiling, followed by some hot tap water.
It might be lurking down there to smite me some day, but I doubt it.

Its lurking. I promise :)

Smoking Piney
09-02-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm lucky I live in the woods......right over the fence.

TowneSA
09-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Never down the sink drain!!!!
I dump mine in my "organics" can provided by the city. There are usually plenty of grass clippings and such in that can so I figure it will work well with the mulch they eventually grind it down to.

Bigwoods4x4
09-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Backyard on fence line, dog goes out and next day it's all gone :becky:

Was JUST going to say this. Sometimes I forget where I dump it but the dog ALWAYS finds it the next morning.

TowneSA
09-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Was JUST going to say this. Sometimes I forget where I dump it but the dog ALWAYS finds it the next morning.

My dog will lick the pavers around my grill for days after a cook. Cracks me up every time I see him doing it.

Al Czervik
09-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Dang, I always considered that as one of the chef's treats. If I'm feeling really fancy, I make crushed ice for when I'm making margaritas. You guys don't know what you're wasting.

Great idea Gore... Ever thought about mixing in a little U 92

http://ccguranium1.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/0/4/12043435/1461268_orig.jpg?315

and some Th 90

http://www.transcend.org/tms/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/thorium.jpg

with the D2O and a splash of RedDot2 to make up some of these tasty treats?

http://www.tipsfromtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Frozen-Tequila-Surise.jpg

:whoo:

gcs
09-02-2016, 09:46 AM
I just dump it in the dirt backyard, the chickens pick out anything they like, the rest just soaks away. Sprayer on the garden hose takes care of the pan which is now black and naturally seasoned,lol
Being too clean around here isn't a problem. :-D

NickTheGreat
09-02-2016, 09:57 AM
I live in town, but have timber backing my house. A lot of my biodegradables end up back there. That being said, I haven't used my water pan in 2 or 3 years now.

Stoke&Smoke
09-02-2016, 10:21 AM
oh, that wouldn't work here.

This could work, although the water volume greatly out measures the ash.

Noted, will look for a 21 inch or so clay saucer for a dry cook.

You don't need to throw the pan away, just line with foil, put in the foil covered pan. an extra sheet of foil over both will make cleanups a snap

akoda
09-02-2016, 11:58 AM
You are on a roll sir, must have a new batch of meds ;)

THoey1963
09-02-2016, 12:15 PM
When I had my WSM, I put water in the pan one time. It was such a pain to get rid of the next day. After I cleaned out the pan, I double wrapped it in heavy duty foil. Next step was buying a large Terra Cotta planter base from HD. Double wrapped that in foil and set inside water pan. For a while, I just laid a sheet of foil across the top to collect the drippings. Until the time that leaked as I was putting it in the trash. My final step was getting one of those cheap aluminum turkey roasting pans and setting it on top of the planter base. This collected most of the drippings and could be rinsed out or replaced when too bad...

Picture of planter base:

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-3912952enh-z8.jpg

hurricanedavid
09-02-2016, 12:32 PM
I toss it in a bed of Mexican petunias and clean it up from there.

Steve S
09-02-2016, 02:54 PM
I quit using water in the water pan, but anything from the water pan, including foil, goes in the fire pit out back.

Brisket grease cooking on the fire smells great.

Neuro
09-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the replies and ideas.

roncoinc
09-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Fire pit it is !!!

EricDS
09-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Pour it into a thick trash bag by itself. Put it in the garbage can on top of everything else on garbage day so it doesn't get squished and break

ModelMaker
09-03-2016, 08:22 AM
I swear some of you guys put me in mind of the anal retentive chef from SNL.....
Ed

Rusty Kettle
09-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Depends on the time of year. Summer dump as close to the property line as possible. Winter it will freeze and I dump it in the trash as an ice cube.

Ray43050
09-04-2016, 08:02 PM
I very rarely use a water pan but if/when I do it gets dumped in a wooded part of of back yard.

aks801
09-04-2016, 08:03 PM
In your backyard.

Sorry.

ClintHTX
09-04-2016, 08:07 PM
If y'all are talking about water pan mine normally evaporates.... If it's a drip pan I dump it far from the house.

chichas01
09-04-2016, 09:18 PM
I am struggling with where to dump my greasy/meaty/cheesy etc... Water pan from my WMS. Where do you guys dump it?

Can I dump it down the garage sink? I have been dumping it in a dirt area in the backyard.
water pan? i have a gravy pan in my WSM. put it on the stove top at the end of the cook, bring to a low boil, wisk in a little corn starch and voila gravy!