PDA

View Full Version : Look what just came in the mail.

Bigr314
09-01-2016, 01:43 PM
I am so excited. My Hatch Chilies just came in today. Had to order them. Could not find them anywhere in my area. I can not wait to roast them tomorrow after work and get them in the freezer.

I just want to thank all the Brethren for posting about them. i would of never known about hatch chilies if not for this forum.

Do you think roasting them on the blackstone is a good idea, or should i just use an open flame?

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/bigr314/Veggies/image_zps71n7k0jl.jpeg

SteveKing
09-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Pennsylvania has Wegman's don't they? Next year check their website. They have hatch chile roasts listed w/ location and date.

I'd go open flame. You really want to char them good.

Bill-Chicago
09-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Glad you're getting it done tomorrow.

I had mine just a couple days and some of the batch turned on me before I got to roast them.

Bigr314
09-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Pennsylvania has Wegman's don't they? Next year check their website. They have hatch chile roasts listed w/ location and date.

I'd go open flame. You really want to char them good.

Just checked the store locator. The closest store to me is 2 1/2 hrs away. I live in the south western corner of the state. Thanks, I will use an open flame.

SteveKing
09-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Just checked the store locator. The closest store to me is 2 1/2 hrs away. I live in the south western corner of the state. Thanks, I will use an open flame.

Might be worth the drive next year!

ssv3
09-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Nice!! Blackstone will work fine IMO if you want to go that route.

Smokeat
09-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Open flame only. Your goal is to blacken the skins, while preserving the integrity of the flesh, especially for freezing. We always freeze with blackened skin on, it helps preserve the chile, and when defrosted the skins peel effortlessly.

We have been getting Hatch chiles, at least a case a year, for over 20 years. Although they have drum roasters here, so we get them roasted, but usually a supermarket will only roast one day a year.

I find it impossible to believe that any major area in our country does not have roasting events. Perhaps some brethren from your neck of the woods can point you to a source. It is worth traveling to, the camaraderie in line for roasting is infectious. We used to have to wait in line(often in 100 degrees) in a parking lot for up to 7 hours! Luckily there are lots of different roasting events nowadays in SoCal. Dave

Billy Roo's BBQ
09-01-2016, 03:07 PM
If I may.....where did you order them from?

Bigr314
09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
If I may.....where did you order them from?

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

They have free 2 day shipping right now.

Billy Roo's BBQ
09-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Awesome....Thanks! How many lbs did you order?

Bigr314
09-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Awesome....Thanks! How many lbs did you order?

I got 10 lbs of the medium. I like hot spices but was not sure how these are. Played it safe for the first time.

gtr
09-01-2016, 04:31 PM
I snagged some loose hot ones the other day (sounds like my younger days, but I digress...) anyway, made roasted salsa verde with 'em along with tomatillos, oregano, garlic, salt & EVOO. So dang good! I'll be getting 'em by the case moving forward.

Billy Roo's BBQ
09-02-2016, 09:36 AM
I got 10 lbs of the medium. I like hot spices but was not sure how these are. Played it safe for the first time.

Last question....I promise. Did you get them fresh or already roasted? Just curious if it would be better to get them fresh and then roast them at home. Thanks!!

Doug S.
09-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Looks to me he got them fresh and asking how to roast them ??

Billy Roo's BBQ
09-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Looks to me he got them fresh and asking how to roast them ??

You are right....I must have missed that in his original post. Thanks!

Bigr314
09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Last question....I promise. Did you get them fresh or already roasted? Just curious if it would be better to get them fresh and then roast them at home. Thanks!!

I got them fresh. No problem at all. I am learning about these in the last few days.

mrbodnar
09-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I snagged some loose hot ones the other day (sounds like my younger days, but I digress...) anyway, made roasted salsa verde with 'em along with tomatillos, oregano, garlic, salt & EVOO. So dang good! I'll be getting 'em by the case moving forward.

GTR, could you post the recipe for your salsa verde? I'm getting 25 lbs of Hatch next week and want to make some. TIA,

Mike