PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Info for Next CL Unicorn: Hobart - or Berkel - Slicer

gtr
09-01-2016, 12:28 PM
So after years of watching CL for a good deal on a Ranch Kettle, I snagged 2 in a week. :shocked: I'm pretty dang set on cookers for now & it's time for a new and different score. I figured I'd start doing the long, patient look for a good slicer and from what I understand Hobart is the way to go. What are good models for light to medium household use (i.e. I don't need automatic) and what are decent used prices for those models? I've done a little bit of looking and it looks like these things hold value pretty well. I have a 10" Chef's Choice which gets the job done, but it's kinda small, esp. when slicing bacon. It'll do until I find a great deal on my "forever slicer".

Interested in hearing y'all's thoughts on slicers - thanks!

TedW
09-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Subscribed... :popcorn:

ssv3
09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Greg,

Hobarts are nice but don't sleep on Berkels if you come across one. I scored this baby, a Berkel 827e 12" blade for $400 and it retails for $1200. It was hardly used and even came with the manual. I've come across ones that were heavily used for way more.

http://i.imgur.com/ltvcUarh.png

http://i.imgur.com/YzqVaOAh.png

gtr
09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
^^^exactly the type of info I'm looking for - thanks Sako!

If you ever wanna trade that for a Ranch Kettle...:twisted:

IamMadMan
09-01-2016, 01:35 PM
in my opinion, having owned both, the Berkel is easier to disassemble and clean than my Hobart was.

PatAttack
09-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Damn, Sako!

That is a sweet slicer! Looks like you've never used it. Send it my way for a good break in period!:becky:

ssv3
09-01-2016, 01:50 PM
^^^exactly the type of info I'm looking for - thanks Sako!

If you ever wanna trade that for a Ranch Kettle...:twisted:

:becky: No deal! It's an awesome piece of equipment and I use it quite often. I was on a hunt for a while and it finally paid off. Funny thing is one of the brethren made a IIRC $550 offer a week or so before me and the guy refused but he let it go to me for $400. :noidea: :mrgreen:

Slices thick or paper thin with no waste. I don't miss the struggle with the cheap one I had prior to owning this thing.

BTW Greg, this one also slices cheese. I know some are not capable of it so something to keep in mind when you're looking.

http://i.imgur.com/liMALVGl.png

http://i.imgur.com/n3QG6l2l.png

in my opinion, having owned both, the Berkel is easier to disassemble and clean than my Hobart was.

Never owned a Hobart but Madman's experience doesn't lie. Easy to disassemble and clean.

Damn, Sako!

That is a sweet slicer! Looks like you've never used it. Send it my way for a good break in period!:becky:

Lol, Thanks Pat! The guy bought it to slice chicken pieces or something and said it didn't work for him. Obviously it wouldn't since it's not intended for that but I certainly appreciate the discount I got out of the deal. :clap2:

gtr
09-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Thread title changed in light of new info!

rexster314
09-01-2016, 01:59 PM
I hit on a Hobart 1612 slicer almost two years ago on CL. $150 driveout. The gauge plate was stuck (common problem among a lot of older slicers) Judicious use of a propane torch and dead blow hammer got it loosened up. It's been a workhorse for the last 2 years, with me doing at least a 100 pounds of bacon a month. It even came with the original sharpener.

daninnewjersey
09-01-2016, 01:59 PM
I stole this baby for like $300...deli that went out of business. I would HIGHLY recommend getting one. Yeah it's a little bit of a pain in the ass to clean, but she will slice just about everything either paper thin or the thickest of thick cut bacon you can imagine....

Smokeat
09-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Greg,

Hobarts are nice but don't sleep on Berkels if you come across one. I scored this baby, a Berkel 827e 12" blade for $400 and it retails for $1200. It was hardly used and even came with the manual. I've come across ones that were heavily used for way more.

http://i.imgur.com/ltvcUarh.png

http://i.imgur.com/YzqVaOAh.png

Slicer envy!

SoCalWJS
09-01-2016, 02:14 PM
I'll keep an eye on this one...... I've dreamt of getting a Hobart or similar for a very long time. Between the price and the room it takes to store one, I've never pulled the trigger. I've seen a few used ones in various places, but never at a good price.
I have a "cheapo" (Waring Pro), but it doesn't work very well and is a true PITA to clean. I love to thin slice my left over Tri tip for Sammies, but I hesitate to pull out the slicer for the above reasons. and it's just not the same with a knife.

Good luck!

Thriller
09-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Several listed in the Denver area CL, just an FYI

Victory
09-01-2016, 02:58 PM
got this for free about a month ago from my dads neighbor

http://lstwo.com/images/34380084340186990829.jpg

I supply him with bbq in trade for wood for my offset. gave me this to slice up a 10lb slab of bacon I made for him.

SoCalWJS
09-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Hmmmmm.....then this shows up.

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/app/5709218662.html

"Vintage", to say the least.

sturev
09-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Good luck Greg... I'm calling dibs on the 2nd slicer you find!!!

gtr
09-01-2016, 03:08 PM
^^^Oh dive right in! After scoring 2 RK's in a week, I gotta lay low for a bit. My wife is really cool & I wanna keep it that way! Plus the math doesn't work at the moment! :oops:

Gore
09-01-2016, 03:13 PM
As soon as I read "CL" in the heading, I knew it wasn't going to be a spanking machine you were looking for, ewwww. I'm guessing, you've already got one then. :thumb:

Norm
09-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Love my Hobart, it's all we used when I worked in restaurants.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-wM6BBTk/0/XL/i-wM6BBTk-XL.jpg

I've had this one for 10 years and works like new, only downside is it's heavy!

landarc
09-01-2016, 05:25 PM
I agree that Hobart or Berkel are both great. Make sure it's complete, and the sharpener is on there.

WareZdaBeef
09-01-2016, 06:38 PM
I hit on a Hobart 1612 slicer almost two years ago on CL. $150 driveout. The gauge plate was stuck (common problem among a lot of older slicers) Judicious use of a propane torch and dead blow hammer got it loosened up. It's been a workhorse for the last 2 years, with me doing at least a 100 pounds of bacon a month. It even came with the original sharpener.

Nice score. I got my 1612 about 4 years ago for $100 but the centrifugal switch was bad. I had to buy an electronic switch for $49 on ebay and replaced the big capacitor just incase for $5 on ebay. The windings were like brand new so all in all it ended up costing me $155 for a barely used Hobart 1612.

Demosthenes9
09-01-2016, 07:38 PM
BTW, there are other good brands out there as well. Globe is the first that comes to mind.

Someone already mentioned that you should look for a slicer with a sharpener. Something else to consider is blade size. Even with Hobart, Berkel and Globe, the size can vary from 8 inches to 12. If you are doing your own bacon and want full slices, I'd go with a 12.

cowgirl
09-01-2016, 11:49 PM
I can't be of any help with the slicer. Just stopped by to say have fun at the bash! :becky:

Shagdog
09-02-2016, 07:40 AM
I agree that Hobart or Berkel are both great. Make sure it's complete, and the sharpener is on there.

This^

I found an old berkel on CL but it was missing the sharpener. I didn't know it at the time, as I hadn't done any research, but saw a berkel for a hundo and jumped on it. Turns out the blade was bent in a couple places and it had a few other issues as well. I found a guy who would sharpen it for me, so I did that and used it for about 6 months and still hated it the whole time. Just never worked right. Sold it for a $100 and got another one from OIFmarine that he had got for scrap at his shop WITH the sharpener still on it.

Bottom line, be patient. I've used both berkel and hobart, you won't be unhappy with either one, BUT don't compromise on the condition. Make sure it sits flat, cuts true, and has its parts. Replacement parts are available, but they're pricey. You could end up spending more on parts than on the slicer.

And the clean up thing is something to seriously consider. Whatever you look at, take it apart. See what parts are removable and how difficult it is to do. Slicer cleaning sucks!

landarc
09-02-2016, 10:02 AM
An argument for spending more.

In the past 10 years or so, due to sanitation requirements, most commercial slicers are engineered for easy disassembly and assembly. Unscrew a couple of knives and it's all easily cleaned, even ready to run through a sanitizer. Some older models are a bother.

pitbossJB
09-02-2016, 11:28 AM
I've got a smaller Berkel which is great except I can only make half size bacon. :sad:

gtr
09-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I can't be of any help with the slicer. Just stopped by to say have fun at the bash! :becky:

We most dePninitely will!

Some really fantastic info here! :clap2: I'll most likely go for a 12" blade and ease of disassembly soiunds like a great thing to keep in mind.

Thanks for the great responses y'all - good stuff fo sho!

Pyle's BBQ
09-02-2016, 07:24 PM
I have an 80 year old Globe that still is running like a champ. It is pretty easy to disassemble for cleaning. It is cast iron so it is really heavy. If you find an older model, check online to see if you can still get parts.