PDA

View Full Version : How long can a Boston Butt stay in the freezer?

tbag
08-29-2016, 03:43 PM
I have a 11 lbs Boston Butt but I'm wondering if I'm too late?
It's been in the freezer for 11 month and 2 weeks.
How do I know if it's bad? If it smells like normal, is it ok or is there anything more I have to look for?

It has been in the freezer from day one after I bought in from the butcher.

Really hope to cook it this coming weekend:)

Jason TQ
08-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Frozen meat normally just loses quality with time vs actually going bad. Once it thaws use your nose of course like you would even fresh food, but I've cooked butts, ribs, chicken that was a year old with no issues.

Ham14
08-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Frozen meat normally just loses quality with time vs actually going bad. Once it thaws use your nose of course like you would even fresh food, but I've cooked butts, ribs, chicken that was a year old with no issues.

Agree

Bigr314
08-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Yep, should be good to go.

hurricanedavid
08-29-2016, 06:26 PM
The've unearthed frozen Wooly Mammoths they believed to be thousands of years old. One year in the freezer for a pork butt should not be an issue.

Joe Black
08-29-2016, 06:29 PM
^^^^^^ ditto.

If it's vac frozen or still in the Cryovac, should be good to go.

IamMadMan
08-29-2016, 07:58 PM
When pork is bad, it smells bad; but if it were frozen while it was good, that would not be the issue at hand.

If it were sealed in a tight Cyropack from the factory, void of air, you will be good.

If it's a normal loose wrap, look for signs of freezer burn. It will be obvious if it is.. due to discoloration of the fat and meat.

Freezer burn will have an off flavor, but one can trim away the freezer burnt parts where it is discolored and you should be good without an off flavor..

Pstores
08-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Wen pork is bad, it smells bad, but if it were frozen while it was good, that would not be the issue at hand.

If it were sealed in a tight Cyropack from the factory, void of air, you will be good.

If it's a normal loose wrap, look for sign of freezer burn. It will be obvious if it is due to discoloration of the fat and meat. Freezer burn will have an off flavor, but one can trim away the freezer burnt parts where it is discolored and you should be good.

100% correct.... If cryogenic or vaccum packed can last two years if done right...

BillN
08-29-2016, 08:15 PM
No problem with safety, might have some freezer burn if was not properly wrapped. Go ahead defrost in fridge and cook it up, if it taste funny due to freezer burn the dog will love you for it, or sauce it up. Some folks cut the burn off others use vinegar on the freezer burn don't know if that works and cutting it off really don't get rid of the taste IMO.

SmittyJonz
08-29-2016, 08:20 PM
yup - 1 year.

Demosthenes9
08-30-2016, 12:47 AM
I've cooked butts that got lost in a frost free freezer for close to 3 years. They were fine.

cheez59
08-30-2016, 07:56 PM
18 months in cryovac is the longest I have ever held a butt. I thawed it and cook it with a fresh never frozen butt and nobody could tell the difference.

Bludawg
08-30-2016, 08:00 PM
I cooked one that was buried in the bottom of the freezer fer 2 yers it was a fine piece of swine

NASTY
08-31-2016, 08:07 AM
I have a Duroc Butt I found in the bottom of my deep freeze that i put in there 4 years ago and forgot about. Im throwing it on the big smoker this weekend while Im doing a wing brisket cook. I will try to get a few pics and report back how it turns out.

Texstan
08-31-2016, 11:11 AM
The've unearthed frozen Wooly Mammoths they believed to be thousands of years old. One year in the freezer for a pork butt should not be an issue.

What sort of cooking techniques would you recommend for wooly mammoth ribs?

THoey1963
08-31-2016, 11:48 AM
What sort of cooking techniques would you recommend for wooly mammoth ribs?

Hell with technique, what size smoker would you need?

Big M1ke
08-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Great topic. I just found a butt I've had frozen for about 9 months and I was wondering if it was still usable. Thanks guys!