PDA

View Full Version : Will Feta Cheese melt in the smoker?

shnmclr
08-18-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm planning on smoking a greek influenced flank steak roll stuffed with Feta and a few vegetables. My question is will the feta melt or is there another greek style cheese that would melt easier?

SmokinJohn
08-18-2016, 01:11 PM
I just saw an article that said you should stay away from the following cheeses if you want to melt it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/melting-cheese-how-to_n_5231844.html

Stay away from these cheeses because they will never melt: halloumi, feta, cotija, ricotta, creamy goat, queso fresco. And be wary of these because they will always be stringy: cheddar curds, mozzarella, provolone.

I disagree, since mozzarella and provolone have been used on pizza and mac and cheese and they melt just fine.

If I remember correctly, feta is similar to bleu cheese in consistency.

Bleu melts. Feta should melt.

kathicooks
08-18-2016, 01:16 PM
I just saw an article that said you should stay away from the following cheeses if you want to melt it:

Stay away from these cheeses because they will never melt: halloumi, feta, cotija, ricotta, creamy goat, queso fresco. And be wary of these because they will always be stringy: cheddar curds, mozzarella, provolone.

I disagree, since mozzarella and provolone have been used on pizza and mac and cheese and they melt just fine.

I agree - I have stuffed chicken breasts with feta and it melts just fine. Now halloumi will never melt - I have marinated and then (quickly) grilled it on a reasonably hot grill and you just get lovely grill marks, but you don't lose it through the grate. When I say quickly, all you want to do is get those grill marks and heat it through.

Jrogers84
08-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Queso fresco will never melt? Unless the crap at my local store is mis labeled....melts just fine! Ive melted feta a few times with no issues also

Teleking
08-18-2016, 04:22 PM

Retread the OP on characteristics of mozz and provolone!!! Because you missed it😉

SteveKing
08-18-2016, 04:30 PM
I can tell you, working in pizza kitchens while I was in high school. Feta, ricotta, gorgonzola and goat cheese all melt - though at high temperatures. Also the comment above said to avoid mozz and prov because they will remain stringy which is absolutely true.

SirPorkaLot
08-18-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm planning on smoking a greek influenced flank steak roll stuffed with Feta and a few vegetables. My question is will the feta melt or is there another greek style cheese that would melt easier?

This is what feta does rolled in a flank steak.

One of our favorites around here.

SmokinJohn
08-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Retread the OP on characteristics of mozz and provolone!!! Because you missed it😉

I read the OP.

I volunteered an article.

I disagreed with several cheese nonos.

My verdict was that feta would melt.

What did I miss?

SteveKing
08-19-2016, 10:59 AM
I read the OP.

I volunteered an article.

I disagreed with several cheese nonos.

My verdict was that feta would melt.

What did I miss?

He was stating that you said you disagreed with mozz and prov not melting, when the info you provided said to avoid them because they remain stringy once melted.

Groundhog66
08-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Queso fresco will never melt? Unless the crap at my local store is mis labeled....melts just fine! Ive melted feta a few times with no issues also

Queso Fresco does not melt.