PDA

View Full Version : Question on bacon makin

we'll smoke u
01-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I posted the other day that I was making bacon. I have a question.
There is alot of juice coming from the meat do I need to drain this or just leave it???? Thanks

The_Kapn
01-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I had to look back at the other thread to make sense of this post.
Confusing :redface:

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23471

Anyway....
The liquid is normal--pulled from the meat as part of the curing process!

TIM

we'll smoke u
01-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry Kapn I should have gave more info. I started the new thread in hopes that it would get answered sooner.
Thanks a bunch

chad
01-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Traditionally, curing meat was layed on a slanted board so the juice would run off - you could get the same effect with a baking rack under the meat.

jgh1204
01-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I just leave it there while it is curing.

Roo-B-Q'N
01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Scotty, I think I missed that thread of you starting to cure bacon. Bummer. I have like four hog bellies in my deep freeze.

The way we do it is to put the bacon in ziplocs after rubbing in the cure. Place it in the fridge anywhere from 7-10 days or until the piece of meet feels firm. Flip the the bag over once a day. Once it is cured RINSE RINSE and RINSE. Throw the bacon in the pit at around 90 degrees and then cool. Slice it the way you like it.

Did I mention rinsing?????

we'll smoke u
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Scotty, I think I missed that thread of you starting to cure bacon. Bummer. I have like four hog bellies in my deep freeze.

The way we do it is to put the bacon in ziplocs after rubbing in the cure. Place it in the fridge anywhere from 7-10 days or until the piece of meet feels firm. Flip the the bag over once a day. Once it is cured RINSE RINSE and RINSE. Throw the bacon in the pit at around 90 degrees and then cool. Slice it the way you like it.

Did I mention rinsing?????

Hey Tom what did you mean throw in pit at around 90 degrees. don't you want to cook it somewhat.

We were in town on sat for a wrestling meet I tryed to smell the smoke and find you.LOL

SoEzzy
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Tom what did you mean throw in pit at around 90 degrees. don't you want to cook it somewhat.

Bacon is by tradition cold smoked, so the temperature is usually under 100° in the smoker, this is easy to do, once you know how to start and maintain a very small fire, with only a little fuel burning at a time.

The smoking of bacon is for flavor and preservation, not to cook it.

The cure, (salting), of the bacon with the cold smoke, produces a smoked cured product that is good in the freezer for 6 months, (if you can stay away from it that is), and good in the fridge for 2 - 3 weeks. When you use the bacon you will do the actual cooking of it, just before it joins the eggs on the plate.

SoEzzy
01-17-2007, 02:16 PM

Bacon is by tradition cold smoked, so the temperature is usually under 100° in the smoker, this is easy to do, once you know how to start and maintain a very small fire, with only a little fuel burning at a time.

The smoking of bacon is for flavor and preservation, not to cook it.

The cure, (salting), of the bacon with the cold smoke, produces a smoked cured product that is good in the freezer for 6 months, (if you can stay away from it that is), and good in the fridge for 2 - 3 weeks. When you use the bacon you will do the actual cooking of it, just before it joins the eggs on the plate.