PDA

View Full Version : Best non-spicy steak rub ?

Ummagumma
08-12-2016, 02:13 PM
My daughter loves steak but can't tolerate any spice at all. I've been experimenting using just some salt, Paprika, pork rubs and various combinations of these ingredients but I just don't think I found any seasoning that I personally like as much as th salt and pepper based ones. Everything I tried tastes either boring or weird to me.

She's not complaining, but I want to make the best steaks for her.

So, is there any non-spicy steak rub that you personally like and can recommend ? Thanks!

ml8163
08-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Have you tried Montreal Steak Seasoning? My kids don't think it is spicy.

SirPorkaLot
08-12-2016, 02:22 PM
My daughter loves steak but can't tolerate any spice at all. I've been experimenting using just some salt, Paprika, pork rubs and various combinations of these ingredients but I just don't think I found any seasoning that I personally like as much as th salt and pepper based ones. Everything I tried tastes either boring or weird to me.

She's not complaining, but I want to make the best steaks for her.

So, is there any non-spicy steak rub that you personally like and can recommend ? Thanks!

I think both the Peppery Lime Salt and the Garlicky Lemon salt from Naturiffic is wonderful on steaks...

Of course I may be biased.

:biggrin1:

Ummagumma
08-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Have you tried Montreal Steak Seasoning? My kids don't think it is spicy.

This is exactly what I use on the steaks I make for the rest of humanity. MSS and some granulated garlic for added flavor. She says she can't handle the pepper in it.

hachi-roku_fan
08-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I usually do kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I like my steaks simple.

Ummagumma
08-12-2016, 02:34 PM
I think both the Peppery Lime Salt and the Garlicky Lemon salt from Naturiffic is wonderful on steaks...

Of course I may be biased.

:biggrin1:

Thank you, and will surely try some of your rubs, but I need something I can pick up locally since I'm grilling tonight or tomorrow the latest.

Ummagumma
08-12-2016, 02:36 PM
I usually do kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I like my steaks simple.

That's pretty much what the Montreal Steak Seasoning is. She can't handle any pepper on her steak, unfortunately.

ml8163
08-12-2016, 02:38 PM
How about just trying plane kosher salt?

Ummagumma
08-12-2016, 02:43 PM
How about just trying plane kosher salt?

Thanks, this is what I am doing for her but it tastes a bit too plain, to me.

I am just trying to see if there's some way to spice it up without, you know, spicing it up ;)

hachi-roku_fan
08-12-2016, 02:44 PM
That's pretty much what the Montreal Steak Seasoning is. She can't handle any pepper on her steak, unfortunately.

Ah I see. Maybe salt and garlic (powder or fresh minced)

tonyjohnson619
08-12-2016, 02:44 PM
I use this stuff called porterhouse seasoning i get from stater-bros on my tri-tips, its made by lindberg sniderhttp://www.taylorsmarket.com/content/images/thumbs/0001652_lindberg-snider-porterhouse-roast-seasoning-14-oz_425.jpeg

babrisket
08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Daddy Hinkles is the best I've found.

Amazon.com : Daddy Hinkle's Inc Marinade 2 Part Set, Orig, 15 Ounce : Gourmet Marinades : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Bigbears BBQ
08-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Try cooking your steak with a little salt and then add Alton Browns compound butter before serving here is the recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/compound-butter-recipe.html

Groundhog66
08-12-2016, 03:15 PM
All beef rubs will have pepper, but you could try salt with an EVOO, garlic, rosemary slather.....treat it like a rib roast.

LYU370
08-12-2016, 03:21 PM
So I guess Habanero Death Dust is out then... Try some Uncle Chris's (http://www.fiestaspices.com/texas-bbq/uncle-chris-gourmet-steak-seasoning/), good stuff! Not at all spicy.

jeffturnerjr
08-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Good dad making a good steak for your daughter.
This may sound like a stupid question but are you making two different steaks, one for her and one for you? And if so, what has been her favorite of the rubs you have tried lately?

Shagdog
08-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Salt, Garlic powder, Onion Powder, a little dry mustard, some chili powder, maybe some smoked paprika. I would start experimenting with these spices. Stay in the savory camp and see what happens. Regular ol chili powder isn't spicy at all. I would start with a baseline of
1 TBLS Kosher Salt
2 tea Garlic
2 tea Onion
1 tea mustard
1 tea chili powder
1 tea smoked Paprika
maybe 1/2 tea of crushed thyme or rosemary powder if you're getting crazy.

There's plenty of good savory spices that can liven up a steak.

Another thing to try is to make some compound butter. It can really elevate a steak to a whole new level.

Take a stick or 2 of softened butter, put it in the food processor
add a couple tbls olive oil. Add to that a few cloves of minced/crushed fresh garlic, and some fresh herbs - Rosemary, Thyme, tarragon, sage, Basil, parsley... Whatever you like. Whip it together in the processor, then roll it into a cylinder in wax paper. Put your cylinder in the freezer to harden. Heck I just leave mine in the freezer and hack off chunks when needed. Works great. Here's some more details on the butter - LINK (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3191119#post3191119)

landarc
08-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Just a consideration, while it tastes plain to you, she may be a 'super taster', in which case, many of the seasoning mixes we enjoy, will come off as tasting bad to her. She might be one of those folks that can taste many flavors in her food.

I really do prefer steaks, when cooked over fire, the go on unseasoned. Then seasoned with salt and black pepper once they come off, as they rest. I also enjoy some fresh garlic, not rubbed on, but, brushed on with some olive oil, just as each side of the meat gets done.

IamMadMan
08-12-2016, 05:11 PM
I also agree that Montreal Steak Seasoning is an all around seasoning for steak that is virtually available anywhere.

To try something different......

Ted and Barney's Meat Seasoning (Original) is a blend similar to Montreal Steak Seasoning with some added spices. I use it on Steaks, Burgers, and Prime Rib.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/rwbarney/Rubs/7oz_3-1_zpsejrwdzfe.jpg (http://tedandbarney.bigcartel.com/product/meat-seasoning-single-jar)

Another good seasoning is Oakridge Santa Maria Grill Seasoning, also great on anything beef. I have also used it on Pork Chops and grilled/roasted vegetables...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/rwbarney/Rubs/OakRidge%20Santa%20Maria%20a_zpszxznnktj.jpg (https://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=santa-maria-steak-seasoning)

SmokinM
08-12-2016, 05:22 PM
I love Oakridge Santa Maria steak seasoning.

Norm
08-12-2016, 05:44 PM
I have to agree with Bob, when I cook for others I let them season after it's done. I didn't like anything too strong when I was her age either.

gcs
08-12-2016, 05:58 PM
I like just a little olive oil coating, kosher salt and a small amount of black pepper, sometimes add a light sprinkle of garlic powder.
If no pepper then I'd go with the salt and garlic powder, go easy on the garlic at first.

Smokie185
08-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Thanks, this is what I am doing for her but it tastes a bit too plain, to me.

I am just trying to see if there's some way to spice it up without, you know, spicing it up ;)

Salt and granulated garlic. Place the steaks on a rack over a sheet pan and season with salt and garlic. Allow them to set for a couple of hours. The salt will draw out some moisture which forms a brine which gets absorbed back into the meat along with the garlic flavor.

Decoy205
08-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Oak Ridge Carne Crosta. I ran out and miss it. Need to order more. Beyond that I'm pretty much a salt pepper garlic guy on steaks.

WareZdaBeef
08-12-2016, 07:41 PM
http://img0063.psstatic.com/115904100_mccormick-char-broil-grill-seasoning-25-ounce-plastic-.jpg

cfrazier77
08-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Here is what I use, without the black pepper.

http://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavors/spice-blends/seasoned-salt
Lawry's season salt, it does not have any pepper in it. I add garlic powder and onion powder. For myself I add fresh cracked black pepper, but for you that would not be in there. Hope this helps.

Pstores
08-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Misty's All Purpose Blue Label is by far the best I have ever had. Light coat of Olive Oil. Season, wrap tight and refrigerate for a day or two. You can order if from Mistys Steak House Lincoln, Ne.

Saiko
08-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Ancho chili is my favorite mild chili. It is the dried version of the poblano chili, has great flavor and color and is wonderful on steaks. I use a combination of kosher salt, ground black pepper, granulated garlic and ground ancho on all my steaks. I buy them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder, but you can find it already ground at many Mexican grocery stores (along with the whole chili).

Ummagumma
08-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Good dad making a good steak for your daughter.
This may sound like a stupid question but are you making two different steaks, one for her and one for you? And if so, what has been her favorite of the rubs you have tried lately?

Well there's four of us so four steaks. I typically apply generous amounts of Montreal Steak Seasoning and granulated garlic over a thin layer of olive oil and let it sit for 30-50 min before grilling. But for her I've been experimenting with Dizzy Pig rub (didn't quite work for me), just salt and garlic (a tad too plain), vinegar and lemon-based marinade they sell in a Mideastern market near where I live (excellent with chicken, but I didn't quite like it on beef).

Part of the reason I am trying to find a recipe that I like is so that I could just make one batch for all of us, keeping track of what steak has what seasoning is a PITA. Besides if the cut is large, she will only eat a part of it and someone else would likely finish it the next day, and my son and I both have similar taste in steak, so it would work much better if we could just find one rub that we all like.

(He's the main reason I bought the kettle in first place. He loves steak, and being very skinny, unlike his dad, it's amazing how much of it he can consume in one sitting. I always felt that my old gas grill simply didn't do the steak justice).

dmw650
08-13-2016, 12:51 PM
My wife has a similar sensitivity to spicy foods. I prep burgers and steak the same way - worcestershire and Lawry's. Just be careful not to put too much rub as it can get salty with both. Nice flavor without the bite.

There are other peppers that don't have as much heat. If you have a spice store nearby you can try some out.

jeffturnerjr
08-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Well there's four of us so four steaks. I typically apply generous amounts of Montreal Steak Seasoning and granulated garlic over a thin layer of olive oil and let it sit for 30-50 min before grilling. But for her I've been experimenting with Dizzy Pig rub (didn't quite work for me), just salt and garlic (a tad too plain), vinegar and lemon-based marinade they sell in a Mideastern market near where I live (excellent with chicken, but I didn't quite like it on beef).

Part of the reason I am trying to find a recipe that I like is so that I could just make one batch for all of us, keeping track of what steak has what seasoning is a PITA. Besides if the cut is large, she will only eat a part of it and someone else would likely finish it the next day, and my son and I both have similar taste in steak, so it would work much better if we could just find one rub that we all like.

(He's the main reason I bought the kettle in first place. He loves steak, and being very skinny, unlike his dad, it's amazing how much of it he can consume in one sitting. I always felt that my old gas grill simply didn't do the steak justice).

Completely understand! Now I understand your reasoning a lot better...
I think the recommendations above are great. The last time I did steaks, I experimented with using fajita seasoning and found it to be really good and not too spicy.

ericandcandi
08-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Pensky"s Chicago Steak Seasoning