PDA

View Full Version : WSCG Question

Turkey
08-12-2016, 02:28 AM
I have noticed that things have gone a little quiet on the WSCG front. Are all the owners still happy?

Anyway, my question is this: since the WSCG is basically a Kamado, is it also susceptible to backdraft / flashback?

I'm very interested in buying one of these when they become available in Australia.

wbzipf
08-12-2016, 05:21 AM
I have been tied up with work lately, still have time to BBQ, just not post as much as I would like to.

Anyway, I still love my WSCG. It definitely behaves closer to a Kamado, like you indicate, than it does a traditional Weber kettle. As such I have learned a lot about my WSCG from reading posts from BGE, Primo, and Kamado Joe owners on how they operate their kamados. Mostly techniques on temperature control.

One thing I haven't had happen yet is a flashback. I don't know if it's just one of those things that don't happen often, or if there is something else I am doing or not doing.

Turkey
08-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Thanks, that's good to hear.

I love the idea of something that smokes as well as a WSM, with much better fuel economy and easier cleanup (my two main complaints about my WSM).

It's a bonus that it also apparently a better kettle than a kettle.

4ever3
08-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Veeery happy with ours, just rarely post cook pics but we use ours 3 to 5 times a week probably. The oven in the kitchen hasn't even been turned on since we got it.

I've yet to experience a flashback however when I bake pizzas I burp it just in case, it's my understanding there isn't enough heat being generated for a flashback at lower temps but at 550, that's a different story.

wbzipf
08-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks, that's good to hear.

I love the idea of something that smokes as well as a WSM, with much better fuel economy and easier cleanup (my two main complaints about my WSM).

It's a bonus that it also apparently a better kettle than a kettle.

Yeah, that's what I have found, smokes as well as a WSM with significantly better temp control and much easier to clean up. With the grill grate set up to the top level, the red hot charcoal nearly touches the meat, resulting in better sear than on a traditional kettle.

Turkey
08-13-2016, 05:20 AM
Baby Back Maniac, have you been using your WSCG lately? Love your videos!

m-fine
08-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Flash back can happen on a Webber kettle just like a kamado or the WSCG.

It is a pretty simple recipe that you can duplicate at home.

1) Build a really hot fire. The easiest way to light a layer of coals on the bottom, then spread a thick layer of charcoal on top and let it all get burning so that the air flowing up from the bottom passes a lot of hot coals to get hot and then hotter as it rises. I prefer lump for this, but other fuels will do.

2) Once the fire is super hot, close down all air vents and shut the lid. If you want a good blast, throw in a bunch of wood chips or chunks before closing.

3) wait a few minutes to let the volatile gasses boil out of the wood and charcoal with no oxygen to let them combust.

4) Open lid.

5) Explain to wife that the no eyebrow look is super fashionable and sexy.

Plumbcrazyone
08-15-2016, 10:56 PM
I love my WSCG. I did have a problem with the chrome plating around the rapid fire damper. It started to bubble and separate from the steel ring. contacted CS and a new damper is on the way. Definitely worth registering your purchase. If it happens again I will probably have a friend C & C one out is stainless steel. Other wise no complaints here. Love it so ft.

kawter
08-17-2016, 02:24 PM
I've been having a tough time getting my fire dialed in.. It works solid for 1hr ish then randomly dies... I actually sold my digiqx2 on craigs list because it was actually harder to keep temp than naturally aspirating the unit.

For some reason i feel like the fire just flat out dies.. I'm probably doing something wrong with my fire building but dont know

Plumbcrazyone
08-18-2016, 12:52 AM
Ok, you are probably not putting enough coal in and getting a good fire going to start off with. I would recommend you put at least 10 pounds of coal in. Light it up and let it burn until nearl all ashes over. Spread out the coals set the lower damper to smoke (second dot over from the left).Install your deflector plate & grill. Close the lid and set the top damper at a little past 50% closed. Let it run for about 10-15 minutes. This will settle out your fire and temp. This usually gets my que to about 250-275F. Closing the top damper down to approximately 75% closed should get it to settle out to about 225-250 F and should only take about 10 minutes. Now your ready to put the meat on. I use an I grill 2 with my set up so I can track the temperature at the grill and the meat internal. I don't get overly concerned if The temp drifts 25 degrees but you should be able to hold 225-250 for easily at least 14 hours if you start with 10 lbs of coal.

I usually put a full 16 lb bag of kingsford in and just close the dampers when I am done grilling. The coals will snuff out and you can reuse them on your next cook. Try it out and PM me with your results.

Turkey
08-18-2016, 01:36 AM
That consumption is so much bettter than my 18" WSM. I need close to 20 pounds for 14 hours if the WSM is fully loaded.

Smoker34
08-18-2016, 01:45 AM
I have exactly the same issues-very frustrating.

I've been having a tough time getting my fire dialed in.. It works solid for 1hr ish then randomly dies... I actually sold my digiqx2 on craigs list because it was actually harder to keep temp than naturally aspirating the unit.

For some reason i feel like the fire just flat out dies.. I'm probably doing something wrong with my fire building but dont know

Plumbcrazyone
08-18-2016, 02:11 AM
All I can say is try starting with a bigger fire. Sounds like you guys might not be starting with a good base of coal. I start with a well lit mound and have had no problems with low and slow long cooks at all. I even wrote customer service a letter on how well it holds temp and how little file is consumed on long cooks. I am 99% certain you are not starting off with a good strong fire.

outie
08-18-2016, 02:41 AM
Still satisfied with mine. No problem with temperature control. Pretty much using same procedure as Plumbcrazyone but I use the gas assist And then rapid fire damper to bring it up to temperature. I can smoke babyback ribs with 4 cups or so regular kingsford for 3-4 hours with some charcoal left for next use.

Temperature is very stable throughout the cook.