PDA

View Full Version : Wedding cook! How much food?

bjarolim
08-11-2016, 05:23 PM
So me and bride to be are getting hitched next April and I will be doing the cooking and serving it to the masses, along with an open bar of beer I'm gonna make. See this thread for that process http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3621587#post3621587

Anyways. We have compiled the rough draft of guest list and its hit around 150 people and still climbing a little. I do know not every single one of those people more than likely won't all appear but id rather be prepared for a massive showing than not.

So with anywhere from 150-200 people is what I wanna prep for. Ill probably be cooking brisket, pork butts, maybe some Turkey's, maybe chicken as well....brisket and pork butts are a for sure tho. Will have all the fixings to go along with all that but. How much meat do I need to purchase. 6-briskets(packers) and 5- butts, that a good starting point?

And seeing as I don't have a large enough cooker, guess that means I gotta build another one. WooooooHoooooo!

tonyjohnson619
08-11-2016, 05:30 PM
are you doing sliced brisket or chopping it all?

bjarolim
08-11-2016, 05:34 PM
are you doing sliced brisket or chopping it all?

My initial thought was sliced...and on the longer slices to half them.

bjarolim
08-12-2016, 09:12 AM
That was helpful!

legendaryhog
08-12-2016, 09:39 AM
My advise is 1/3 lb per person cooked. That means that you need to double that when you buy your product as you may lose 1/3 to 1/2 of your weight during the cooking process.

Also, and this is just the lazy farker in me....cook pork butts and whole chickens (pull both). Brisket for that many people is going to be a real endeavor. If you are up to it, that's cool. I've done brisket for 350+ at a wedding before, but it is an all night affair.

tonyjohnson619
08-12-2016, 09:45 AM
You will need about 130lbs of uncooked meet, depending on the size of Packers 6 Packers and 5 buts would be a nice starting point

toymaster
08-12-2016, 09:48 AM
WOW. You're cooking and serving all that food on your wedding day??? Either you have a S on your shirt or wifey is gonna be pissed when it's time to perform your husbandly duties.

vmastros
08-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Unless you plan on cooking the day before, do yourself a favor and get some experienced people to help you. Two helpers would not be too many. I have cooked for a few family weddings but always in advance. You cannot be the groom, the host and the cook. Let someone else cook for you even if you have to pay them.

toymaster
08-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Unless you plan on cooking the day before, do yourself a favor and get some experienced people to help you. Two helpers would not be too many. I have cooked for a few family weddings but always in advance. You cannot be the groom, the host and the cook. Let someone else cook for you even if you have to pay them.

Ditto. That's supposed to be your day to enjoy, not to work.

Steve S
08-12-2016, 11:49 AM
I actually went through this last month. For 150 people, I cooked six- 8 to 10 pound butts, and 2 briskets weighing about 30 lbs combined, untrimmed and uncooked. The brisket was gone very quickly, but I ended up with some leftovers on the pork. If I had to do it over again, and I could have fit it on my 2 WSMS, I would have cooked another brisket and maybe one less butt. So for a range of all ages at the wedding I ended up with one half-pound of uncooked meat per person.

BillN
08-12-2016, 01:04 PM
I agree with the others let someone else do the cooking. Maybe a good opportunity to train a couple of your friends on your cooker it can be their wedding present to you. Bottom line there is too much going on to have to worry about feeding everybody. Best advice I can share is relax, enjoy the day and what ever happens just roll with it.

bjarolim
08-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Well I will be doing the cooking and it will be done in advance no doubt...I'm sure my dad will be helping and maybe my uncles. They have some experience. I will not be serving that will be up to others.

Y'all are right, it is my day to enjoy no doubt, but I enjoy Q'in it up so why not do it on my wedding day if its what I enjoy.

My plan is to cook everything a d have it wrap in towels in a cooler probably 6-8 hours before serving time, so i will have ample time to rest and enjoy most of the day. The cooking part isn't what I'm worried about, the quantity is tho.

Groundhog66
08-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Sorry, but I think this is a terrible idea...As long as everything goes as planned (and it won't), you think you'll be okay. When something goes awry with the cook, and you have to get involved later then you expected, it's not going to be a good time. Spend a few bucks, hire someone to do the cooking, and enjoy your day. Trust me, even with nothing to do but get married, your day will definitely be busy enough.