PDA

View Full Version : Stainless or not to stainless....that's my ?

pcshrews
08-11-2016, 01:06 PM
All,

I looking to pull the trigger on a Humphrey's cooker. My question is if it's worth spending the extra cash on stainless racks. I'm generally a backyard BBQ'er but have been getting into comps and expect to start doing some small catering jobs in the future. I was thinking stainless would be the way to go since I'm looking to do more general public serving. Any options or advice??? Thks and much appreciated!!!

cheez59
08-11-2016, 01:15 PM
I think it is worth the extra bucks for SS. Cleanup is way easier and when the racks are clean they just look better to outsiders.

Shagdog
08-11-2016, 01:54 PM
I have regular steel racks on my shirley and have had zero issues with them. Once they're seasoned, rust is never an issue and they come clean very easily, especially once I let the cooker get up to temp. Yes, they always look black, but I think your stainless ones will too, especially inside the little expanded parts. If it were me, I would put that extra cash to work on something else, like a digiQ.

IamMadMan
08-11-2016, 05:00 PM
I think it is worth the extra bucks for SS. Cleanup is way easier and when the racks are clean they just look better to outsiders.

I have regular racks in my humphrey's.... If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go for stainless. While my metal racks are seasoned, food still sticks to them and if I brush them white they are still hot it's not a problem. They are much harder to clean when cooled down, but I can live with that. It's just the stainless looks so much nicer for vending, catering, or even for home use. But that's my personal opinion.

JohnH12
08-11-2016, 05:38 PM
I plan to stay with the regular racks on the Lang 60D. If I decide at some later date to go stainless it's a simple matter to replace them. My Lang 36 was several years old and the regular expanded metal racks were still in great condition.

Fwismoker
08-11-2016, 05:47 PM
SS is wonderful for outside components but you'll never be cleaning cooking grates to shiny once they're used consistently. (unless you're OCD). Now if they grates are going to not be used much and be in the elements then absolutely go SS because they won't corrode.

Think of SS not so much as a shiny thing but as a non corrosion thing.

landarc
08-11-2016, 06:24 PM
If I was ever really going to get back in to food service, the reality is that I would get the stainless, and I would keep them clean. Not only will there be inspections, there will also be people who ask to see your pit. You are going to want it to look clean, even as a BBQ guy, with well seasoned racks, when I see a commercial pit, and the racks are black and greasy, it makes me wonder.

Commercial cookers have to be cleaner than most, just for the judgement of the public.

Fwismoker
08-11-2016, 06:30 PM
If I was ever really going to get back in to food service, the reality is that I would get the stainless, and I would keep them clean. Not only will there be inspections, there will also be people who ask to see your pit. You are going to want it to look clean, even as a BBQ guy, with well seasoned racks, when I see a commercial pit, and the racks are black and greasy, it makes me wonder.

Commercial cookers have to be cleaner than most, just for the judgement of the public.

Bob IMO clean is one thing and shiny clean is quite another. Unless someone wants to soak the grates in degreaser you'll never know if they are stainless or not.

pcshrews
08-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Thks to all for the great input thus far. I keeping an ad how vote total:becky:

I've never seen a set of well used SS racks. If they usually do look black anyway, I'm likel to steer some fund towards other options and a guru as suggested. Thks!

pcshrews
08-11-2016, 07:37 PM
I have regular racks in my humphrey's.... If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go for stainless. While my metal racks are seasoned, food still sticks to them and if I brush them white they are still hot it's not a problem. They are much harder to clean when cooled down, but I can live with that. It's just the stainless looks so much nicer for vending, catering, or even for home use. But that's my personal opinion.

Thks! I am giving this serious thought since it will be much less expensive for me now to flip for this.

Fwismoker
08-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Not a cook grate but an example of 304 SS after a greasy cook, These are my rotisserie parts and no amount of soap and water would have cleaned them... they needed to be soaked in degreaser to come clean and get back to shiny. Simple scrubbing with soap and water or wiping it down after a cook just isn't gonna do it.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/007/Octoforks%20cooks/P1050035_zpsv0bv1rqq.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/007/Octoforks%20cooks/P1050035_zpsv0bv1rqq.jpg.html)

This is before the cook

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/007/Octoforks%20cooks/P1050027_zpsylfgvgga.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/007/Octoforks%20cooks/P1050027_zpsylfgvgga.jpg.html)

cheez59
08-11-2016, 08:49 PM
When I was talking about SS racks being easier to clean I was referring to the round bar style vs SS expanded metal. My LSG came with regular steel expanded metal racks and they are a pain to clean. I got a set of the round bar stainless racks and they are a breeze to clean and keep shiny.

Fwismoker
08-11-2016, 08:56 PM
When I was talking about SS racks being easier to clean I was referring to the round bar style vs SS expanded metal. My LSG came with regular steel expanded metal racks and they are a pain to clean. I got a set of the round bar stainless racks and they are a breeze to clean and keep shiny.

My stuff is polished 304 SS and still needs degreaser to get off BAKED on grease. I'm cooking much hotter than you are though so that i'm sure makes some difference.

This is my degreaser to clean SS...almost rinses to shiny after soaking in this.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/007/Octoforks%20cooks/P1050041_zps3ge2zw0w.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/007/Octoforks%20cooks/P1050041_zps3ge2zw0w.jpg.html)

TheDeuce
08-11-2016, 11:15 PM
I upgraded to the SS rod grates in my Battle Box and it's worth every penny. SS ball of wool and 5 minutes per rack and they're squeaky clean. No chemicals at all. I do this after every cook.

http://i68.tinypic.com/wlox36.jpg

JacksBBQ
08-11-2016, 11:16 PM
My current offset smoker has expanded metal racks which have probably been in there for 30 years and we never really clean them outside of occasionally misting in some water after a cook to create some hot steam. Rust has never really been an issue. I can't remember if the Humphries are vertical cookers or not but SS racks typically save you some space between racks in a vertical setup. The expanded metal racks are usually framed in angle iron where as the SS racks are usually just however thick the round bar is they are made out of which is usually thinner than the angle iron.

pcshrews
08-12-2016, 09:17 AM
I upgraded to the SS rod grates in my Battle Box and it's worth every penny. SS ball of wool and 5 minutes per rack and they're squeaky clean. No chemicals at all. I do this after every cook.

http://i68.tinypic.com/wlox36.jpg

Thks! Do you find that the bar racks are thinner and give you a little extra room vs the expanded metal racks as suggested above?

jpru1tt
08-12-2016, 10:01 AM
I originally got the expanded steel ones that came with the cooker and then purchased the SS round bar grates. The cleanup is a night and day difference. If you can afford it they are definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion.

TheDeuce
08-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Thks! Do you find that the bar racks are thinner and give you a little extra room vs the expanded metal racks as suggested above?

I'm not sure it really makes a difference. The distance from rack frame to rack frame is basically the same.
If you measure from the center of each rack, it's the same. (Measurement A). If you measure from the expanded metal to the expanded metal (B), or SS rod to SS rod (C), they're also the same. I don't think you'd notice an "extra space" unless you turned one of the expanded metal grates upside down.

http://i67.tinypic.com/s5e4x0.jpg

MisterChrister
08-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Necessary? Absolutely not. Very nice to have, especially for the sake of appearance in public food service? Absolutely.

If you can afford the upgrade now, and you're seriously interested enough to be asking the question, I think you'll kick yourself later if you don't.

Fwismoker
08-12-2016, 11:35 AM

http://i68.tinypic.com/wlox36.jpg10 minutes of just grate clean for a couple grates up after each and every cook? That seems like an eternity to me. lol I guess I don't have the patience.

My cook grate is luck to see a foil ball ran over it every couple weeks....unless a butt or something was cooked on it.

TheDeuce
08-12-2016, 11:49 AM
10 minutes of just grate clean for a couple grates up after each and every cook? That seems like an eternity to me. lol I guess I don't have the patience.

My cook grate is luck to see a foil ball ran over it every couple weeks....unless a butt or something was cooked on it.

It's just a choice. I spend about 1-1.5 hours after each cook cleaning my Battle Box. Clean the grates, vacuum out any charcoal ash that missed the ash pan, scrape anything that looks loose, blow the entire cooker out with my leaf blower, wipe down with a rag, clean the outside with 409, and then a final polish with Griot's Garage speed shine polish. Keeps it looking brand new!

Fwismoker
08-12-2016, 11:59 AM
It's just a choice. I spend about 1-1.5 hours after each cook cleaning my Battle Box. Clean the grates, vacuum out any charcoal ash that missed the ash pan, scrape anything that looks loose, blow the entire cooker out with my leaf blower, wipe down with a rag, clean the outside with 409, and then a final polish with Griot's Garage speed shine polish. Keeps it looking brand new!:shock: ...all good I just can't imagine.

Columbus can have some cold Winters, You do that then too?

TheDeuce
08-12-2016, 12:04 PM
:shock: ...all good I just can't imagine.

Columbus can have some cold Winters, You do that then too?

Just got my Battle Box in April. We'll see how it goes... :twitch: