PDA

View Full Version : BBQ trailer tags??

GA1dad
08-10-2016, 02:25 PM
I've been looking at maybe buying a pull behind reverse flow offset cooker. Just curious, do you have to tag and title them in your area?? Should I avoid home made units just for that reason??

DownHomeQue
08-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Yes I tag and title my BBQ trailers.. Here in Arkansas they issue you a VIN then they issue you a title and registration once you physically place the VIn on the trailer..

Groundhog66
08-10-2016, 02:33 PM
I would assume that every state requires registration.

kdub5
08-10-2016, 02:33 PM
It all depends on the laws in your state. Here in WV my pit isn't required to be licensed, even though it's a trailer and I have a VIN. As long as it does not have a storage area it's not required to be tagged.

Groundhog66
08-10-2016, 02:34 PM
It all depends on the laws in your state. Here in WV my pit isn't required to be licensed, even though it's a trailer and I have a VIN. As long as it does not have a storage area it's not required to be tagged.

Interesting that the sticking point is storage, I'd like to know the philosophy behind that.

DownHomeQue
08-10-2016, 02:35 PM
mine may not be required to be tagged either.. but I like to keep my encounters with the police to a minimum.. I have nothing against police.. as a matter of fact I appreciate their service to their communities.. I just don't like getting pulled over lol I travel over multiple states..

daninnewjersey
08-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Interesting that the sticking point is storage, I'd like to know the philosophy behind that.

You're talking government philosophy....good luck understanding that :mrgreen::mrgreen:

kdub5
08-10-2016, 02:40 PM
I guess if I'm hauling stuff, it's a trailer and should be tagged. No storage space = not hauling anything, thus it's not a trailer, just a BBQ pit

cpw
08-10-2016, 02:52 PM
As others have said, I think it varies state to state. We've had a pull behind Lang for several years now without a tag, never been a problem.

Groundhog66
08-10-2016, 03:14 PM
You're talking government philosophy....good luck understanding that :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I know, what was I thinking.:crazy:

et84
08-10-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm in MO, and this is the response I got from our DoR:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Grill trailers are not required to be titled or licensed in Missouri."

Groundhog66
08-10-2016, 03:19 PM
I guess I've just lived in CA for too long, always expecting to get raped for every dime. :wacko:

BBQ Freak
08-10-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm in MO, and this is the response I got from our DoR:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Grill trailers are not required to be titled or licensed in Missouri."

that is what they told me too and they said that if the trailer is just used for BBQing and not for hauling other things you do not haft to register it bur every state is different , just call your state inspection station and talk to the Highway Patrol there .

oifmarine2003
08-10-2016, 03:31 PM
You don't in Wisconsin but you do have to in Illinois. I got one just to be safe when traveling to other states. On a side note, I was blown away at the ease of dealing with the Wisconsin DMV as compared to Illinois, where I used to live. I had Paul send me a serial # tag and I sent them pictures and filled out a form. I think it was like $50 and was supposed to take 6-8 weeks. I could cut the wait time in half if I paid a fee to expedite it. It was a whole $4 extra. I had a plate and title in 2-3 weeks and they even sent me some $ back. Illinois would of charged me an arm and a leg. I love Wisconsin!

crgshum
08-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Definitely varies by state. Kentucky (where I picked mine up) does not require you to tag a trailer. Ohio does. I just told the DMV it was a homemade trailer, they told me to get it weighed, and issued me the tags once I had a weight slip. Super easy.

daninnewjersey
08-10-2016, 03:48 PM
I guess I've just lived in CA for too long, always expecting to get raped for every dime. :wacko:

I used to live in San Francisco while in school. California is so insanely regulated and every friggin thing has a fee associated with it....I remmeber having to register my car out there. Was based on the value of the car...cost like $450.00 per year or something crazy. Nice place to visit but.....

Groundhog66
08-10-2016, 04:18 PM
I used to live in San Francisco while in school. California is so insanely regulated and every friggin thing has a fee associated with it....I remmeber having to register my car out there. Was based on the value of the car...cost like $450.00 per year or something crazy. Nice place to visit but.....

You are correct, they will nickel & dime you to death here.

BillN
08-10-2016, 06:57 PM
In Az. all trailers are required to be licensed, it can be tricky to licensed homemade units so sales receipts are a must and the more detailed the description on the receipt makes it easier. Also trailer owners have the option to get a permanent tag for their trailers.

WHS88
08-10-2016, 06:59 PM
In SC, you are not required to title or tag a trailer with no living space. You can title and tag it, but you're not required to. If you will be pulling it out of state, you still are not required to title and tag it, but it could possibly lead to an encounter with the police. It's fairly cheap to title and tag it and it's a permanent tag with no annual fee. I tagged my boat trailer because I routinely take it out of state. I have never tagged utility trailers.

nachos4life
08-10-2016, 07:57 PM
No need in Indiana.

TuscaloosaQ
08-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Alabama does not title trailers... I have built hundreds....everyone had been able to get a tag in their state.... I now make up a serial number and stamp it in tag if the customer request me to....

effinUker
08-10-2016, 09:27 PM

I work for my local city government, and I can tell you for sure there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to most of the things I see us do.

Blythewood BBQ'er
08-10-2016, 11:13 PM
You're good here in SC with no trailer tags. Have had plenty of le behind me towing the Bubba Grill and never an issue. Only tags on smoker trailers I've seen at comps here are from other states.

dummy que
08-11-2016, 12:11 AM
in ohio you don`t halve to lic. a single use vehicle woodspliter ,stump grinder,cement mixer, ect.,ect.,ect. the exception to the rule is hog or chicken cooker`s must be lic.

Sea Rover
08-11-2016, 12:25 AM
I've got a new Jambo being built and driving to California. Do I need tags?

armor
08-11-2016, 06:19 AM
No tag required here but I tagged mine anyway. State issued a vin.

Chrisc133
08-11-2016, 06:33 AM
I guess I need to make a call to the Georgia dmv...

Dabaras
08-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Texas requires tags. If the weight is above a certain limit (3500 lbs I think) it requires an annual inspection. Below that you just have to show that you paid sales tax (or pay it if you didn't) then about $50/year.

Smokin' Greene
08-11-2016, 09:07 AM
I just registered mine as a shop built trailer. In Texas, you need a weight slip and an inspection (if over 3500# or 4500# gvwr i can't remember ). Yes, they want the sale tax money. That is all it really boils down to, money! :razz:

K80Shooter
08-11-2016, 09:39 AM
I guess I need to make a call to the Georgia dmv...

In GA they will tell you yes you need a tag, In SC no tag is required for trailers.

GA1dad
08-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have always worried about towing my non plated utility trailer in other states, but so far have not had any problems. As far as I know, other states will honor your home state requirements,, ,but it still makes me nervous.

gcs
08-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Depends on what you call a trailer, Here in NY, theres no need to license or tag things like a cement mixer, generator, log splitter, (on wheels) , etc.
Utility, boat, campers etc do need to be registered.
Just a BBQ on wheels would be exempt.

JohnH12
08-11-2016, 02:53 PM
I'm in Florida. The local tag agency said I would need to register any BBQ smoker that could be towed over the roads. They even said my log splitter would require a tag but my tow dolly doesn't. I wouldn't mind the yearly fee but ther's an added $75 fee for any new tag.
I asked the rep to show me a copy of the state statute but she couldn't find it, just said it was what they always did.
Go figure!
I've never seen one being pulled that has a tag and several folks who do competitions have told me it's not necessary. Maybe the LEO's have better things to do.
I'll probably not need to tow it often enough to worry about it and I can always load it on the utility trailer if needed. I can haul more wood also.

beer and bbq
08-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Here in NY bbq pits on trailers dont have to be tag. Any equipement that is attached to the trailer frame does not have to be tagged ect; large generators, compressor, light sets.

akoda
08-12-2016, 08:53 AM
In Va you need tags if it hauls anything, since my shirley has a wood box and place for coolers I tagged it. Also, in Va if it is over 3000#'s it is required to get inspected by the state like cars and to have trailer brakes.

2NDXRND
08-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Odd distinction. So, a 4 foot motorcycle trailer requires a tag and reg. but a boat trailer for a 32' cabin cruiser would not?

dummy que
08-12-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm in Florida. The local tag agency said I would need to register any BBQ smoker that could be towed over the roads. They even said my log splitter would require a tag but my tow dolly doesn't. I wouldn't mind the yearly fee but ther's an added $75 fee for any new tag.
I asked the rep to show me a copy of the state statute but she couldn't find it, just said it was what they always did.
Go figure!
I've never seen one being pulled that has a tag and several folks who do competitions have told me it's not necessary. Maybe the LEO's have better things to do.
I'll probably not need to tow it often enough to worry about it and I can always load it on the utility trailer if needed. I can haul more wood also.
when i picked up my lang i GA. i drove to STARK FLA. to visit my niece her husband is cop at UofF stated any veh. with an axle and wheels must halve tag

JohnH12
08-12-2016, 06:30 PM
when i picked up my lang i GA. i drove to STARK FLA. to visit my niece her husband is cop at UofF stated any veh. with an axle and wheels must halve tag

Please don't take this wrong but that just shows that the LEO on the street isn't the most reliable source for accurate info.
I actually found, and got a copy of, the exemption for car tow dollies in the SOP for Florida tag agency employees. As far as I know, a tow dolly has an axle and two wheels.
Not to ding too hard on the husband of your niece but school LEO's are not up to par when compared to actual Leo's.
I have several personal friends who are deputies on the county sheriff's force and some of them work traffic every day. I got different answers from them too.
If you can't produce the state statute, it ain't so, unless the judge say so. Then you're screwed!