PDA

View Full Version : Using Two Grates On A Drum?

Wesman61
08-10-2016, 02:19 AM
I plan on smoking for my Kids and Families Sat because they are coming over to help set up a play area for the grandkids. As I'm trying to work out the logistics of smoking 2 or 3 different meats I'm considering trying to do it all on my Gateway. I've never used the second grate location and am not sure how it might differ from the top grate position. I'd like to hear some thoughts from anyone who has used two grates simultaneously. I would like to do 3 racks of St Luis spares, chicken and maybe sausage.

SmittyJonz
08-10-2016, 02:59 AM
I used 2 grates many times in my UDS, but I had a 3rd grate for water pan/difusser under them. only issues I ever had was pulling a rack of hot meat out to get to meat underneath. Which is why i Sold it after 4 years of use and went to a cabinet.

Neil
08-10-2016, 03:18 AM
Like Smitty Jonz above I've done the same many times smoking eight 8lb. butts in one drum. You better have some long welder gloves and be fast to get the lower grate out or you'll be reaching into a raging grease fire if you take too long. Just speaking from experience! :biggrin: I would also swap grates half way through.

KevinJ
08-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Don't have a drum but when using a WSM the bottom grate temp is about 10 degrees lower than the top grate temp using a clay saucer as a diffuser. You will definitely need a diffuser and just measure the difference between the 2 grates so you know what you're working with.

It would be a good time to have the hanging kit, I purchased one for the WSM, haven't hung Ribs yet but I halved a Chicken last weekend and hung it without the diffuser, was the best Chicken I ever cooked. Tender, moist and the skin was perfect almost like rotisserie, I was really impressed.

Good luck with your cook.

SmokinJohn
08-10-2016, 10:26 AM
I use both grates, and like others have said, bring your welder's gloves and have your pans/foil ready to go.

You also want to time your meats. For example, If I am allowing 8 hours for a butt or two, I won't start the ribs until more than halfway through the butt cook. That way I'm not swapping grates and risking the dreaded SPLOOSH!

Wesman61
08-10-2016, 11:08 AM
I used 2 grates many times in my UDS, but I had a 3rd grate for water pan/difusser under them. only issues I ever had was pulling a rack of hot meat out to get to meat underneath. Which is why i Sold it after 4 years of use and went to a cabinet.

Yeah, my drum has 3 rack positions so I use the diffuser plate to hold a water pan and can still have 2 racks. I think I may do Chris Lilly's loaf pan chicken to help keep the grease drippings to a minimum.

Fwismoker
08-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Never been a big fan of multiple racks in anything but for me it's because at least for part of the cook I want direct heat to add more and a different kind of Maillard reaction. Even if you're cooking direct and you have multiple racks the upper ones are shaded from the direct. This isn't a big deal for people that like all indirect cooking but it's not my preference.

Also for drums like Smitty said I'm not a big fan of pulling the top grate to get to the bottom. That's why on cookers like my 007 I prefer that you can roti cook direct right below a cook rack that can still get direct heat also but with the option to go indirect... and have easy access to both

BeerNBrowns
08-10-2016, 12:31 PM
My UDS has 2 grates. I mostly use the 2nd grate to hold my water pan.

pitbossJB
08-10-2016, 01:42 PM
I've got two grates on my UDS and a water pan mounted on top of my basket, but my top grate is all the way to the top of the drum using a Weber bottom as my lid. I've cooked 12 racks of St. Louis ribs on mine at one time with rib racks.

tbrtt1
08-10-2016, 08:20 PM
I roll with 3 cooking grates plus a diffuser/water pan grate. Can't imagine having that much space in a smoker and only having one rack. I do have a dome lid some top grate is at the top of the UDS.

It just takes some planning. If you have a long cook meat put on lower grate and the faster cook meats up top. If you use foil pans you can easily move things around for checking.

I don't see a problem but again,just a bit of planning. Of course, a cabinet is the ultimate in multi-meat cooking. I'd love a Lone Star Grillz mini.

Wesman61
08-10-2016, 09:40 PM
....Of course, a cabinet is the ultimate in multi-meat cooking. I'd love a Lone Star Grillz mini.

Same here!

KevinJ
08-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Same here!

I do to but I see a Backwoods G2 Chubby in my near future, maybe I'll opt for the SS doors and it can be a poor mans LSG :mrgreen:

DjPorkchop
08-10-2016, 11:37 PM
I can't imagine not having a drum with 2 cooking grates. Now my Big Poppa only has one but that just gives me more of a reason to not only fire up one smoker that day but 2 smokers that day! :-D