PDA

View Full Version : Did I butcher this brisket?

SeaSalted
08-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Having never trimmed a full packer I'm now wondering if I got a little carried away. I've spent hours upon hours reading this forum and looking at YouTube videos on how to properly trim a packer. Perhaps I should have done a refresher video before taking the knife to this piece of meat. I tried to leave about 1/4 inch of fat on the cap and pretty much cut out all of the hard non-rendering fat. In doing so maybe I carved a bit to much out of the area between the point and flat on the side opposite the fat cap. Here's the pics... comments are welcome. Will put it on the PBC early tomorrow morning.

pjtexas1
08-05-2016, 07:36 PM
It's all good. Maybe a little aggressive on the fat cap but it should cook up just fine.

mattmountz94
08-05-2016, 07:41 PM
What brisket? Looks like road kill. Lol just kidding. Looks perfectly fine cook that bad boy up

sjb67
08-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Still plenty of internal fat to render. Should be fine and have lots of good bark.

Free Mr. Tony
08-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I'm in the camp that the intramuscular fat is what matters. I don't buy the fat cap insulating the meat etc etc. Looks like you may have cut off some of the flat that overlaps the point,but you will be just fine. Just pull when it's done. That's the most important part.

SeaSalted
08-05-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm in the camp that the intramuscular fat is what matters. I don't buy the fat cap insulating the meat etc etc. Looks like you may have cut off some of the flat that overlaps the point,but you will be just fine. Just pull when it's done. That's the most important part.

Yes I did and that was a nice chunk of meat. I just need to do about 20 of these to get the hang of it. :doh:

aks801
08-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Just cook that sucker and post up pics!

BBQ Freak
08-05-2016, 08:52 PM
id cook it up , post pics when done :wink:

jeffturnerjr
08-05-2016, 08:54 PM
I think you're going to be just fine! I also agree hat the intramuscular fat is what makes it moist. The cap fat is just bonus fattiness!

smoke ninja
08-05-2016, 09:45 PM
I like to get the fat cap thin, between 1/8th and a quarter inch. I bald patch or 2 wont hurt none.

Swine Spectator
08-05-2016, 10:26 PM
It looks undercooked.

McSpazatron
08-06-2016, 01:38 AM
I like to trim out as much of the fat that I can between the flat and the point. So much in fact that it almost cuts the two sections apart. That fat kernal doesn't do much except slow down the cook. As a bonus, you can get more bark and seasoning area in there as well.

frognot
08-06-2016, 01:51 AM
No worries. Cook and enjoy!

WareZdaBeef
08-06-2016, 06:40 AM
I don't know where this idea that you need to leave fat on the exterior of brisket or a butt. For years i could never get a really nice bark on either because of this. Whoever started this idea needs to be shot if not already dead. I would rank this idea up there with the guy who invented the flat head screw/driver.
:doh:

smoke ninja
08-06-2016, 06:45 AM
I don't know where this idea that you need to leave fat on the exterior of brisket or a butt. For years i could never get a really nice bark on either because of this. Whoever started this idea needs to be shot if not already dead. I would rank this idea up there with the guy who invented the flat head screw/driver.
:doh:

if you get that thin layer of season, smoke and rendered fat just right its divine.

Just sayin....ill take the credit

WareZdaBeef
08-06-2016, 06:59 AM
if you get that thin layer of season, smoke and rendered fat just right its divine.

Just sayin....ill take the credit

The only area i can say benefits from "little" specks of fat is the edges and maybe the bottom if its under direct heat/flame where it has a chance to char and crisp up.

But to say you should leave a 1/4 inch fat cap on brisket and pork butt is bad information.

smoke ninja
08-06-2016, 07:52 AM
The only area i can say benefits from "little" specks of fat is the edges and maybe the bottom if its under direct heat/flame where it has a chance to char and crisp up.

But to say you should leave a 1/4 inch fat cap on brisket and pork butt is bad information.

Here's an example since you didn't get it the first time.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/brisket/20151122_113039_zps04chwela.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/brisket/20151122_113039_zps04chwela.jpg.html)

The fat becomes part of the bark. Its really good

16Adams
08-06-2016, 08:08 AM
I saw a show the other day on a 15#brisket. Lady cut 2-3 inches off the point, 1-2 inches off the flat and an inch down each side. Basically exposed level blunt ends and squared it up. Seasoned the beast and started smoking. The trims went along for the ride and were later ground up for soup/stews I think. That was it. I have opened the cryo- seasoned and smoked, I've also taken it down to the meat. Brisket is kind of funny, but seasoned right (ambiguous) cooked right(Ambiguous) wrapped (maybe) rested (time varies) type of wood (varies) etc etc

Bottom line- you trimmed perfectly- for You. Light a fire. Smoke On.

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the lively debate from which I learn it is all a matter of personal taste/preference.

Lit the coals at 0500 this morning anticipating a long cook at 275, although since I trimmed about 7 pounds of fat off this thing I think I could have slept in an took my time this morning.

Bark looked good at 3 1/2 hours so I wrapped in foil (no butcher paper in the house yet as I don't know where I could hide it.)

I'm thinking that this will be probe tender much sooner than I anticipated so it will be spending a good part of the day in a cooler swaddled in a towel. Should I therefore drop the temperature down to say 225 to let it cook slower?

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 08:15 AM
I like to trim out as much of the fat that I can between the flat and the point. So much in fact that it almost cuts the two sections apart. That fat kernal doesn't do much except slow down the cook. As a bonus, you can get more bark and seasoning area in there as well.

That's basically what I did in this case. We'll know the verdict this afternoon.

WareZdaBeef
08-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Here's an example since you didn't get it the first time.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/brisket/20151122_113039_zps04chwela.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/brisket/20151122_113039_zps04chwela.jpg.html)

The fat becomes part of the bark. Its really good
While i am sure that probably taste delicious, Its not the texture i aim for.
http://oi63.tinypic.com/29qb3w7.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/5v0elg8md/100_6681.jpg

Big Swole
08-06-2016, 08:16 AM
OP...Have you ever seen this vid...Aaron Franklin doing a brisket trimming class.

Not only good info but very entertaining.... He can be quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMgt1Altys

GroundChunk
08-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Speaking of Aaron Franklin and finishing briskets well before target time; his book notes that they pull briskets at midnight to open at 11 AM. They put their briskets on the smoker at 10-11AM for the next day. Now, I'm not good at addition and subtraction (or grammar and punctuation), but that's 11 hours minimum rest, right???

Big Swole
08-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Speaking of Aaron Franklin and finishing briskets well before target time, his book notes that they pull briskets at midnight to open at 11 AM. They put their briskets on the smoker at 10-11AM for the next day. Now, I'm not good at addition and subtraction (or grammar and punctuation), but that's 11 hours minimum rest, right???

I've not read his book...Need to though.

11 hrs of rest seems crazy, but I bet it works. I may try that someday. Literally leave it in the cooler wrapped for as long as I can stand it and see if it comes out like his :)

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 08:28 AM
OP...Have you ever seen this vid...Aaron Franklin doing a brisket trimming class.

Not only good info but very entertaining.... He can be quite funny.

Yes, I have watched it, and wish I had done so again yesterday. I highly doubt he takes as much time trimming at his joint in Austin, but still, it is a highly informative video.

I think the last one I watched was by Malcom Reed, who demonstrated a comp stye trim. That must have been the one that stuck in my head.

Trimming a Brisket for Competition

GroundChunk
08-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Am I allowed to post a picture of the page from his book that shows the schedule?

Big Swole
08-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Am I allowed to post a picture of the page from his book that shows the schedule?

Always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission!! lol

Post it!!

GroundChunk
08-06-2016, 08:32 AM
I just saw under forum rules "nothing copywritten" so I deleted it. I can't gamble with my existence here. Too much to lose.

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
This is from page 7 of Aaron Franklin's "Franklin Barbecue a Meat Smoking Manifesto"
^^^^^^
Credited and cited

The answer was sitting next to my bed as I do have a copy of the book. Thanks. Sounds like I'm going to be fine after a few beers.

Big Swole
08-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, I have watched it, and wish I had done so again yesterday. I highly doubt he takes as much time trimming at his joint in Austin, but still, it is a highly informative video.

I think the last one I watched was by Malcom Reed, who demonstrated a comp stye trim. That must have been the one that stuck in my head.

Good Lord he just wasted a bunch of money on that thing...lol
But like Aaron said, when doing comps, you're just wasting money anyway. lol

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Good Lord he just wasted a bunch of money on that thing...lol
But like Aaron said, when doing comps, you're just wasting money anyway. lol

I think I only trimmed several ounces of meat off, mainly the flap. Anyway, next time I will be much more judicious in my trimming technique.

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Here it is 5 hours in and the brisket is probe tender and flexible. Wrapped in towels, stuck in cooler and the wait begins. Not planning on eating for another 7 - 8 hours. The PBC seems to cook fast even though I use a Party-Q and was controlling at 275. Next cook I'll try 225 - 250 if this brisket doesn't turn out well. If it does I can sleep in next cook.

McSpazatron
08-06-2016, 12:26 PM
I think I only trimmed several ounces of meat off, mainly the flap. Anyway, next time I will be much more judicious in my trimming technique.

Those trimmings are brunch. No need to feel bad about trimming a bunch off, even if it's only for appearance. I season them with all the left over seasoning "overspray", and throw them on the rack for a mid morning meal.

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Those trimmings are brunch. No need to feel bad about trimming a bunch off, even if it's only for appearance. I season them with all the left over seasoning "overspray", and throw them on the rack for a mid morning meal.

Ha! I'm sure you do lol. I especially like to do just that with the hard fat, sort of like pork rinds.:roll:

7 lbs of brunch...

McSpazatron
08-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Brisket Bacon and cracklins, yum.

I did take all the fat like that and put in in a pan inside the cooker, and rendered off about a quart of fat. I heard that it's good fat to fry french fries in.

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Brisket Bacon and cracklins, yum.

I did take all the fat like that and put in in a pan inside the cooker, and rendered off about a quart of fat. I heard that it's good fat to fry french fries in.
Cholesterol issues here? I love french fries and I bet they would be great fried in brisket lard. Like cracklins also, especially with a bit of Old Bay or Zattarains sprinkled on them.

McSpazatron
08-06-2016, 06:20 PM
The brain is made up of 100 percent cholesterol, I read it somewhere. So that means that french fries fried in brisket oil makes you smarter.

I am very smart.

GroundChunk
08-06-2016, 07:56 PM
What was the end result of the long hold on the brisket?

SeaSalted
08-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Nailed it! The brisket rested in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels for nearly 8 hours. Upon unwrapping it was still warm and super moist, the bark was great. Couldn't be happier about how it turned out and it got rave reviews from all. Initially I was very concerned that it was probe tender at 5 hours, but now I wonder why complain about a short cook when these results are obtained?

[ATTACH]131293[/ATTACH

Smokie185
08-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Nailed it! The brisket rested in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels for nearly 8 hours. Upon unwrapping it was still warm and super moist, the bark was great. Couldn't be happier about how it turned out and it got rave reviews from all. Initially I was very concerned that it was probe tender at 5 hours, but now I wonder why complain about a short cook when these results are obtained?

[ATTACH]131293[/ATTACH

Looks good dude! Enjoy!

Bob C Cue
08-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Now that's one great looking brisket. Way to go.